Masked Intruder -- Kansas City, MO -- July 25th, 2014
Machine Head -- Springfield, MO -- July 25th, 2014
Downset -- Albany, NY -- July 24th, 2014
Megadeth -- Tolmin, Slovenia -- July 25th, 2014
Nine Inch Nails -- Tinley Park, IL -- July 24th, 2014

Old 03-05-2013, 10:52 PM
"I call it torture you call it life. A slave to money and everything I despise"

Deftones -- Boston, MA -- March 5th, 2013

I have been a huge Deftones fan for years, and I would consider them one of my favorite bands. I have wanted to see them for a long time, but things always seemed to come up when they came around. This time, I bought tickets before they sold out, and made sure NOTHING got in my way, even the major assignment I had due the next day (which I did finish, by the way .

I got to the venue, the House of Blues in Boston, at around 7:20, a little after the doors opened. I'm sure I have complained about it here before, so I will be brief, but I can't stand this venue. It is just very commercial/corporate, and just does not have the kind of vibe I look for in a venue. I know that sounds ridiculous, but it is just almost TOO nice, everything just seems designed too perfectly. I like a little grit and grime in my venues, it adds character and a metal vibe. ANYWAY, The Contortionist came on at 8, and I just thought they were terrible. I'm sure musically they are talented, but they are not my thing at all. Prog/atmospheric/breakdowns/core. I don't know, just was not a fan. They played for about 40-45 minutes, which I spent most of in the lobby trying to find a working ATM ( it turned out all the ATMs in the venue were down, but I was able to buy a Red Bull with my card ). Also picked up a free copy of the Revocation - Teratogenesis EP from the Scion table they had there, which was pretty sweet!

Deftones came on around 9:15, and proceeded to blow me away for an hour and a half. Their music just has a vibe that cannot be matched or even described, but it is just very comforting to me. They played a good mix of material from their albums, surprisingly playing as many songs of White Pony and Adrenaline as they did off Koi No Yokan. I guess they just have some staples that will always be there, but I'm not complaining since I love all their stuff! Plus I hadn't seen them so it was my first time hearing all of those songs live. Some highlights for me were kicking things of with "Be Quiet and Drive (Far Away)", "Digital Bath", "Minerva", and all the new songs. As you can tell, something about the softer Deftones songs just hit me in a special way, which is surprising for an extreme metal fan! But seriously, the entire set was awesome. The whole band sounded great, Chino sounded amazing and put on an excellent performance, the lighting fit the music perfectly. seriously, I'm sure most have you have seen Deftones, but they are everything you could imagine live! I am also so glad I saw them in a club as opposed to opening for someone at an amphitheater. The crowd was big, but there was still a slight feeling of intimacy throughout the set that cannot be felt on a major stage. I was slightly off to the right of the stage, about halfway back. Usually I like to get closer, but I didn't feel like forcing my way through the crowd and neither me or my brother were in much of a moshing/shoving mood. It sdidn;t matter though, the show was perfect from my point of view!

Setlist is slightly different than the one in Montreal that was posted here, but seems to be about the same as the other sets from this tour.

Deftones setlist:
Be Quiet and Drive (Far Away)
Lotion
My Own Summer (Shove It)
Lhabia
Minerva
Diamond Eyes
Rocket Skates
You've Seen the Butcher
Feiticeira
Digital Bath
Rosemary
Swerve City
Tempest
Poltergeist
Rivière
Change (In the House of Flies)
Engine No. 9
Nosebleed

Encore:
Root
7 Words
8/17 Jungbluth
8/23 Tercer Mundo/Muerte
9/27 GBH

Last edited by energymetal14; 03-06-2013 at 12:54 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:50 AM

Fantastic show and the guys were clearly having a blast up there playing. ONLY complaint is that they didn't play enough new songs. The new ones they did play were the highlight of the show for me. Tempest was soooooooo damn good. Also, Rivière was a complete shock.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:56 AM
Remember - today is the first day of the end of your life

Lhabia, Lotion and Rivière? I'm fucking jealous.
7/30 - Counterparts/Hundredth

http://www.last.fm/user/voidflame
Old 03-06-2013, 08:02 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoidFlame View Post
Lhabia, Lotion and Rivière? I'm fucking jealous.
yeah thats one sick setlist!!!
Old 03-06-2013, 01:22 PM
WHAT THE FUCK...HAVE....I BECOME!!!!

I miss Deftones playing small clubs here and stuff. They are so big here now they fucking sell arena's here....
Old 03-06-2013, 01:56 PM
Not popular in Buffalo

Glad you were finally able to pop your Deftones cherry. I've seen them 3 times and they've have been incredible every time, but they especially shine in a club setting (I saw them the time they played the House of Blues in 2011 with Dillinger, the other 2 times we're at arenas/amphitheaters opening for Alice in Chains and System of a Down) That set is sick, a lot of the better songs from Koi No Yokan, the staples (I'm glad you got "Root". For whatever reason that's my favorite live song of theirs) and some surprises (Lotion.) Hopefully I can catch them next time they come around, I desperately need to see them headline again.

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 03-06-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by energymetal14 View Post
ANYWAY, The Contortionist came on at 8, and I just thought they were terrible. I'm sure musically they are talented, but they are not my thing at all. Prog/atmospheric/breakdowns/core. I don't know, just was not a fan.
Yeah I wasn't a big fan but I was right in front of the guitarist with the glasses and thought it was hilarious how he kept smiling with his eyes closed. Everytime I looked at him I kept laughing.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:59 AM
"I call it torture you call it life. A slave to money and everything I despise"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastodon421 View Post
Glad you were finally able to pop your Deftones cherry. I've seen them 3 times and they've have been incredible every time, but they especially shine in a club setting (I saw them the time they played the House of Blues in 2011 with Dillinger, the other 2 times we're at arenas/amphitheaters opening for Alice in Chains and System of a Down) That set is sick, a lot of the better songs from Koi No Yokan, the staples (I'm glad you got "Root". For whatever reason that's my favorite live song of theirs) and some surprises (Lotion.) Hopefully I can catch them next time they come around, I desperately need to see them headline again.
I wish I caught the tour with Dillinger. I was busy the night of the HOB show and Amon Amarth played 2 days after the Hampton show, so I could only choose one (finals week meant I could only be out one night that week haha). I'm glad I got to see them this time though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coma323 View Post
Yeah I wasn't a big fan but I was right in front of the guitarist with the glasses and thought it was hilarious how he kept smiling with his eyes closed. Everytime I looked at him I kept laughing.
Lol, I stood in the lobby throughout their set, so I didn't notice this. I can usually sit through bands I don't care for, but my brother wanted to stay in the lobby and talk, and I was not in any way trying to disagree with him.
8/17 Jungbluth
8/23 Tercer Mundo/Muerte
9/27 GBH

Tags
deftones