Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

High on Fire -- Los Angeles, CA -- August 19th, 2014
Nothing More -- Baltimore, MD -- August 18th, 2014
Boris -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- August 17th, 2014
Motley Crue -- Alpharetta, GA -- August 16th, 2014
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- August 14th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 02-19-2013, 05:26 AM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Testament -- Toronto, Ontario -- February 18th, 2013

Wow, the amount of bad luck befalling this tour is awful. It was a pretty disappointing night last night as Overkill did not play again for the second night in a row. Adding to that disappointment was that Chuck Billy's voice is almost completely shot. He growled his way through everything, barely interacted with the crowd and you could tell he was really straining. During 3 Days In Darkness you could see him give a "no more" sign to the other guys, meaning no Formation of Damnation or whatever else they were going to play as an encore. Flotsam and Jetsam were good, their new stuff is pretty boring though. I don't have a setlist, but it was pretty similar to what they played in Buffalo the night before, I believe. We got there too late to catch 4Arm.

At any rate, this is Testament's set as I remember it. There may be some stuff out of order or missing, but this is pretty damn close:

Rise Up
The New Order
The Haunting
Burnt Offerings
Into the Pit
Practice What You Preach
Riding the Snake
Eyes of Wrath
Trial By Fire
Over the Wall
DNR
3 Days in Darkness
Old 02-19-2013, 05:35 AM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

I was considering going to this at the last minute until I heard Overkill weren't going to be there. Now I'm really glad I didn't go. Too bad.
10/18 - King Diamond
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend
Old 02-19-2013, 05:42 AM
Concert Veteran

That sucks. We did get the usual 16 song set the night before in Buffalo. Chuck did seem to be struggling a bit vocally during certain points but it wasn't enough to kill the show experience at all.

It looks like they cut out three new ones More Than Meets The Eye and Formation but they did Over The Wall which we didn't get. That's not really a hard one to sing though so it makes sense. I thought there may have been some problems with this tour when I saw how fucked up the routing was. This show last night was their seventh in a row without a day off. It's not suprising Blitz got sick and Chuck's voice is struggling. These are 50 year old men now and while it is their job to go out on tour, they still need to have a day off after doing three or four shows in a row. I don't know if the band has any say in how many shows they can do in a row but the person who booked this tour needs to be fired. I wouldn't even have a band half the age of these guys working that many shows straight without a night off.

Last edited by Sanitarium78; 02-19-2013 at 05:53 AM.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:32 AM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Yeah, it seems like there's always something preventing me from seeing a proper Testament show. This is the closest I've gotten! I would've been royally pissed if I had never seen Overkill before, but I've seen them a few times so it's not THAT big a deal. Shit happens, I guess. You're right about that scheduling though, Sanitarium! That's insane! Even younger bands would need a night or two off in that span, let alone these old geezers! Oh well, it was great to see Skolnick blaze through some of those classic solos anyway.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:09 AM
Not a number, I'm a free man

Damn, that sucks, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanitarium78 View Post
I thought there may have been some problems with this tour when I saw how fucked up the routing was. This show last night was their seventh in a row without a day off. It's not suprising Blitz got sick and Chuck's voice is struggling. These are 50 year old men now and while it is their job to go out on tour, they still need to have a day off after doing three or four shows in a row. I don't know if the band has any say in how many shows they can do in a row but the person who booked this tour needs to be fired. I wouldn't even have a band half the age of these guys working that many shows straight without a night off.
Yeah, I don't understand the routing. At the very least the Silver Spring, MD show should have been the 11th and not the 12th. Atlanta and Charlotte were the 9th and 10th and Charlotte to DC really isn't a bad drive so they could have easily done that show a day earlier and possibly have done the Philly show a day earlier as well so you would have a 4 show / 5 show split instead of a 2 show / 7 show split. Even 4/5 seems a bit much though, especially with filming the DVD.

I got very lucky to see this before any of these problems set in (besides Blitz feeling sick but still well enough to perform).
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac
Old 02-19-2013, 08:17 AM
Old Guy

I had thought about traveling to Salt Lake City next week to see this but am glad I decided not to, especially since I'm a huge Overkill fan. That scheduling is insane, the bands should probably have known better than to agree to it.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:49 PM
Welcome To My Nightmare...

I admit that I enjoyed the show, but I think this was handled poorly by just about every party involved.

First of all, I found out yesterday afternoon that Overkill wouldn't be playing (probably around 1 or so), and there was no official statement from the band or the promoter. It was just a random blog that I'd never heard of claiming to have an "exclusive" story. Not only that, but not everybody is as into following this stuff as I am, so I know there were plenty of people who didn't find out until they go to the venue (the promoter put up an announcement around 5 or 5:30, and the show started at 7).

Testament was a similar story; I had no clue Chuck was sick, and he didn't say anything about it on stage. I wouldn't have been as angry last night if he had said that he couldn't play anymore, but I really wanted to hear The Formation of Damnation.

It's just ridiculous that everyone had to pay the full ticket price for a band cancelling that a lot of people went specifically for, and for the headliner to cut at least 20 minutes (including the new songs that a lot of people hadn't heard) with no explanation.

With that said, Alex Skolnick was the complete highlight of the night. It was the clearest sound he's had of the 3 times I've seen them, and he made it look so easy. Flotsam and Jetsam was pretty good too. I was surprised that even the newer stuff sounded pretty heavy live. It was a bit long, and it didn't have Doomsday, but I know seeing them was a once in a lifetime opportunity and I'm happy I went.
10/17 - Satan
10/18 - King Diamond
Old 02-19-2013, 04:30 PM

Yeah, I was a little annoyed that neither Flotsam nor Testament said anything about Overkill having to drop off the bill, and that Chuck didn't say anything like, "Sorry about my voice, it's been a little rough but I'm going to slug through it for you guys!" I agree about Skolnick though, dude sounded great!
Old 02-20-2013, 05:43 AM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiner202 View Post
I admit that I enjoyed the show, but I think this was handled poorly by just about every party involved.

First of all, I found out yesterday afternoon that Overkill wouldn't be playing (probably around 1 or so), and there was no official statement from the band or the promoter. It was just a random blog that I'd never heard of claiming to have an "exclusive" story. Not only that, but not everybody is as into following this stuff as I am, so I know there were plenty of people who didn't find out until they go to the venue (the promoter put up an announcement around 5 or 5:30, and the show started at 7).

Testament was a similar story; I had no clue Chuck was sick, and he didn't say anything about it on stage. I wouldn't have been as angry last night if he had said that he couldn't play anymore, but I really wanted to hear The Formation of Damnation.

It's just ridiculous that everyone had to pay the full ticket price for a band cancelling that a lot of people went specifically for, and for the headliner to cut at least 20 minutes (including the new songs that a lot of people hadn't heard) with no explanation.

With that said, Alex Skolnick was the complete highlight of the night. It was the clearest sound he's had of the 3 times I've seen them, and he made it look so easy. Flotsam and Jetsam was pretty good too. I was surprised that even the newer stuff sounded pretty heavy live. It was a bit long, and it didn't have Doomsday, but I know seeing them was a once in a lifetime opportunity and I'm happy I went.
I went to this show the night before I didn't find out about Overkill not playing until around 5 o'clock. I went to the show with my brother and he checked the venues facebook page and they mentioned it and that's how we found out. The venues web page, which is the one I awlays go to, had no mention of it. Since I don't do none of that social media crap, I wouldn't have known until I got to the venue that Overkill wasn't playing. At the venue all they had was a few signs written in maker taped up on the doors saying "Overkill won't be playing tonight, sorry".

None of the other bands mentioned it but that's not their job to.

Tags
testament