Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Warrior -- San Marcos, CA -- April 19th, 2014
Impaled -- Oakland, CA -- April 19th, 2014
Tankcrimes Brainsqueeze 2 -- Oakland, CA -- April 18th, 2014
Unearth -- Pontiac, MI -- April 17th, 2014
Wayne Static -- Birmingham, AL -- April 17th, 2014

Old 02-20-2013, 06:59 AM
When your grabbing ass with your friends...

30. The Incomprable Mr. Flannery
29. What Would A Wookie Do?
28. American Sleep - Pure Rock Fury http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BenqIqYl8gg

This is one of the criminally underrated songs off of PRF. By criminally underrated I'm basing this off of the lack of times it has been played live (again according to setlist.fm), 6 times!!!??? 6 times? C'mon Clutch, I know I'm not the only one who loves that song. From looking at the songs that have been played live on PRF, There were only 2 songs that have been played less than American Sleep, Drink To the Dead & Frankenstein. How often that the opening track on any album never gets played? Last time they played it was in 2004. Anyway...it is quite the solid opener and really does a great job of setting the tone of PRF.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:30 AM
...the dead are among us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300%_Density View Post
28. American Sleep - Pure Rock Fury http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BenqIqYl8gg

This is one of the criminally underrated songs off of PRF. By criminally underrated I'm basing this off of the lack of times it has been played live (again according to setlist.fm), 6 times!!!??? 6 times? C'mon Clutch, I know I'm not the only one who loves that song. From looking at the songs that have been played live on PRF, There were only 2 songs that have been played less than American Sleep, Drink To the Dead & Frankenstein. How often that the opening track on any album never gets played? Last time they played it was in 2004. Anyway...it is quite the solid opener and really does a great job of setting the tone of PRF.
Wow. That's amazing they've played that song so few times live. That's a great track. Loving this list!
5/23 - St. Vitus
5/28 - Pseudogod / Wrathprayer
5/29 - Floor
6/27 - DFHVN / Pallbearer
Old 02-20-2013, 08:49 AM
Headbanger

Who knew listening to Clutch backwards would be interesting in any way?

As far as Driven they used to play it at Hammerjacks back in the day and I always thought it kinda morphed into Passive Restraints since they stopped playing Driven when they would open with PR. Just a guess though.

Cool thread
6/29 - Primus
8/4 - Soundgarden & NIN
9/27 - Clutch & Janes Addiction
Old 02-21-2013, 09:39 AM
Fragments of a sunbeam glaring on a kitchen knife

Awesome idea, cant wait for Earth Rocker, for the past few weeks its been real hard to listen to anything but Clutch.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:59 AM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

I didn't care for Pure Rock Fury but I loved the segue from American Sleep to the title track.
07/04 - Agalloch
08/23 - Alice in Chains
12/06 - the Music of Final Fantasy
Old 02-22-2013, 06:29 AM

Work was canceled because of ice for me yesterday and I flat out forgot about this so I now owe you 2 songs, here it is:

28. American Sleep
27. You Can't Stop Progress - From Beale Street To Oblivion http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SGTs-fjEIY
26. Mob Goes Wild - Blast Tyrant http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isP-mRUSJ6k

Seriously after 5 songs I'm really having a hard time trying to decide the order. You Can't Stop Progress is just an absolutely perfect song to start out on the Beale Street album. If you had 1 song to tell other people "this is what this album is going to sound like" this is the song that just fits. Its got a little bit of that Clutch groove and just enough of that bluesy sound that Clutch adopted the album before w/ Robot Hive/Exodus (although I don't think it translated as well as this album). A great opener on an album full of other great songs (that will be very well represented on this list).

Obviously this song is quite well known to most people who have ever listened or even heard of Clutch. Now 9 years ago when I was first getting into Clutch this song would have been 1 easily but having taken in the whole discography since then plus all new releases since, I think this is about right where it should be. I would have to say Mob is Clutch's "Enter Sandman" although Electric Worry might argue that a little but I still think its their most well known song. Part of that might be why its lower on the list. But what it really comes down to, take out all the TV shows and wherever else you heard it, its still such a killer song. At the ripe age of 20 I had never heard a song groove so hard, and be so damn catchy. You hear it once its almost impossible to not sing along the next time you hear it. Its also special to me because it was my gateway drug into Clutch and I have been hooked ever since. If you've never really listened to Clutch before I would wholeheartedly suggest starting with this song and you will be hooked.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:41 AM

25. Mr. Shiny Cadilackness - From Beale Street To Oblivion http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=d7Dq4PRqtKo

Starts out with one of Clutch's funkiest bass lines they have probably ever written. Also one of the few times Clutch has ever really even got near political, but even then it's nothing over bearing (first line of the song "Tell me why Dick Cheany underneath my bed"). Another standout on this track is Eric Oblander, frontman of Five Horse Johnson who plays an amazing harmonica on a few songs on this album. A very underrated track on this album.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:58 PM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Mob Goes Wild is too low IMO, but I can live with that. Mr. Shiny Cadillackness is a killer track too.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:03 AM

28. American Sleep
27. You Can't Stop Progress
26. Mob Goes Wild
25. Profits of Doom - Blast Tyrant http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3XEIOqWtnA
24. Rapture of Ridley Walker - Beale Street To Oblvion http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSidk4rwUTw

Sorry about the lack of not being able to do this daily. Have issues getting to do this on the weekend, had an ice storm throw me off last Thursday. But here are the next 2 I owe everybody.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:46 PM

28. American Sleep
27. You Can't Stop Progress
26. Mob Goes Wild
25. Profits of Doom
24. Rapture of Ridley Walker
23. Pure Rock Fury - Pure Rock Fury http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWGwS5KGypM
22. Green Buckets - Elephant Riders http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG1QFIZW8xs

Going to be in a training tomorrow so I figured I'd throw 2 up on here so I'd actually be ahead instead of behind.

Pure Rock Fury. This track is not only the best track on this album but a song that really emphasizes what Clutch really is. Probably not a better 3 word description than this song. It's one of Clutch's best grooves that they ever wrote with even better lyrics to back it up. I can't believe that it took me until 2010 to ever get to hear this live. I think I saw them atleast 3 or 4 times before hearing this but whoa when I heard it, one of the hardest rockin songs I ever heard. KILLER GROVE if there ever was one.

If there was ever a dark horse in this whole countdown it would have to be Green Buckets. Easily a hidden gem on Elephant Riders. One of their oddest sounding yet funkiest songs with a bass sound best described as rubbery, with some of the best lyrics in any Clutch song. I wanted to put a line or 2 but screw it, my list I'm posting the whole songs lyrics:

Won't you come over and stay for a while?
Take a seat, have a drink, we'd have a nice time.
Turn on the TV I believe it's prime time.
I'll make you chicken cacciatore in five.
There's a woman down at 314
who can't keep the stains on her kitchen floor clean.
And there's a man who's been knockin' on his door
for three years, or has it been four?
I don't wanna spend the winter in this house all alone.
Those neighbors of mine keep coming on over and playing with my mind.
I would like to love you,
I sure would treat you right.
We could take the trash out
every Thursday night.
Here in my neighborhood there is the strangest thing -
green buckets every Friday at every driveway.
They're filled with glasses, plastics, and newspapers, too.
They say they recycle and bring them back to you.
every Thursday night.
We could be a family,
consume many goods.
We could be the pillars
of the neighborhood.
Ah babe, I'm a real hard worker
with the proper tools, I'll make you anything you yearn for.
The barbarians are at the gate,
come in before it's too late.
I have food enough to last the two of us about a year.
A thousand cans of chowder and a thousand cans of beer.
I love my neighbors like I love my own brothers,
but every year they're getting odder and odder.
every Thursday night.
We could be a family,
consume many goods.
We could be the pillars
of the neighborhood.

Just great lyrics. My only complaint (according to setlist.fm) they last played this back in '99. Dammit Clutch, one of my favorite songs off Elephant Riders. I know I'm not the only one who loves this song. Bring it back Clutch!!!! Its been 14 years!!!!!!!