Touche Amore -- Lawrence, KS -- July 27th, 2014

Old 02-15-2013, 05:20 PM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Megadeth -- Toronto, Ontario -- January 13th, 1998

Megadeth
Support: Coal Chamber, Life of Agony
Date: January 13th, 1998
Venue: the Warehouse in Toronto, Ontario
Source: setlist.fm (they seem right to me, and any other dates from around the same time are the same)

Probably one of the strangest touring line-ups Iíve ever seen. Iím only really posting it because Coal Chamber is back and someone here may find it interesting.

Life of Agony had just parted with Keith Caputo a few weeks before this show so Whitfeld Crane of Ugly Kid Joe was singing for them. And he did a really good job. Itís been so long so I can barely remember what they played but I know they played This Time, Through and Through and Weeds because those where the only songs I was familiar with by them at the time. But they played four or five more.

I was really young at the time (seventeen) and nu-metal wasnít that annoying anomaly it became a few years later, so Iím not embarrassed to say that I liked Coal Chamber. They were heavy, catchy, simple and reminded me (sort of) of KoRn, who were one of my favorite bands at the time. I bought their album after the show and really didnít like it as much as I had their live performance. They did this great feedback drone at the beginning of Loco for about a minute and it was really cool.

Coal Chamber
1. Loco
2. Oddity 

3. Bradley 

4. Clock 

5. Sway 

6. I 

7. Big Truck 

I wasnít a huge Megadeth fan at the time but I just liked going to concerts. I think I may have only heard Youthanasia, Peace Sells...but Who's Buying, Rust in Peace and the singles from any of the other albums out at the time. Megadeth get a lot of shit but Iíve seen them three times and Iíve always enjoyed them. My friends dad was waiting in the car in the parking lot for us (ala Homer Simpson) so I just asked that we wait until they played Peace Sells, which ended up being right at the end of the set so we just stayed for the rest.

Megadeth
1. Holy Wars... The Punishment Due 

2. In My Darkest Hour 

3. Hangar 18 

4. Sin 

5. Reckoning Day 

6. A Secret Place 

7. She-Wolf 

8. Angry Again 

9. A Tout Le Monde 

10. I'll Get Even 

11. Use the Man 

12. Trust 

13. Almost Honest 

14. Sweating Bullets 

15. Symphony of Destruction 

16. Peace SellsÖbut Whoís Buying
17. FFF 

18. Anarchy in the U.K.
10/18 -- King Diamond
11/01 -- Suffocation
Old 02-15-2013, 06:35 PM
N00B

Thanks for posting these setlists and reviews, mainly because it's interesting to see the shift in popularity and the change in venues the non-Metallica thrash bands went through. I know Kerry King said in an interview one time that Slayer has had 2 waves and boosts in large popularity: the early 90s during the Clash of the Titans tour and around the time GHUA came out. Same thing with Megadeth here, playing a venue that holds like 2,000 people, pretty much right smack in between them playing arenas/amphitheatres.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:55 PM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Yeah they had probably started the downward slope at the very end of their first peak here. Definitely not in the valley that would happen between 1999-2005.
10/18 -- King Diamond
11/01 -- Suffocation
Old 02-15-2013, 09:19 PM
When your grabbing ass with your friends...

Back in the day... When they would only play Holy Wars once & didn't feel the need to close w/ it too (ahem RIP tour). Yet closing w/ Anarchy isn't great either.

'98 would have been great to see Coal Chamber.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:45 AM
Concert Veteran

I saw them on this tour in June of 1998. I remember when they played Mechanix everyone in the crowd was singing the words to the Four Horsemen instead. It was pretty funny. Might explain why they don't do that song much anymore if that happened at other shows.

Here's the set from the show I went to. Got this off setlist.fm and from what I recall the set here is correct. Might be a bit out of order but all these songs were definitely played.

The Disintegrators
Holy Wars... The Punishment Due
In My Darkest Hour
I'll Get Even
A Secret Place
Sin
Reckoning Day
Angry Again
She-Wolf
Guitar Solo (Marty Friedman)
A Tout Le Monde
Almost Honest
Use the Man
Trust
Tornado of Souls
Sweating Bullets
Symphony of Destruction
Drum Solo
Drum & Bass Solo
Peace Sells

Encore:
Mechanix
Anarchy in the U.K.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/megade...-5bdadbfc.html

Our area was struggling at the time when it came to smaller venues for metal bands to play at. I was too young in the late 80s and early 90s but there were some good venues around here for a bit at that time. For this show Megadeth played a place that was well under 1,000 capacity but they jammed as many people as possible into this small venue. If you wanted to play here at the time and weren't one of the big bands, The Funhouse in Lackawanna, NY was one of the only places you could go in the area. I'm sure they were in violation of the fire code that night. There's no way the venue was meant to hold that many people.

Great show though. I've seen Megadeth about six or seven times and this was the most intimate venue i've ever seen them do. The stage was just big enough for them to play and that was about it. Not that they move around a lot on stage but there wasn't any room to do that if they wanted to.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:35 AM

I'd love to see them play Use the Man live.

Tags
coal chamber, life of agony, megadeth