Old 02-13-2013, 03:25 PM
PAAAAAAANTURRRUUUHHHHHH!! !!!!

Tomahawk -- Seattle, WA -- February 12th, 2013

WITH SETLISTS!!!!

Tomahawk & Retox
Showbox at The Market
Seattle, WA
Tuesday February 12th

What an absolutely amazing evening this was. I have been a huge fan of everything involving Mike Patton since High School, yet every chance I get to see any of his projects I miss. When I heard that Tomahawk was playing a week ago I promised myself that I would go, no matter what! After paying $69 for two tickets ( ) I was ready!

I drove down to Seattle, getting stuck in the lovely traffic, and walked around with my friend to find food before the show. When we finally made it to The Showbox I was surprised... there were only maybe 12 people in line, and the doors were scheduled to open fairly soon. Well.... doors got pushed back a good half hour plus (or so), thus leaving us outside in the cold waiting to get in. There was a street percussionist set up right next to us, so that was fun to watch! We made it inside finally and got spots right up front.

Anyway, enough with the BS. We finally got inside, and the first band started at about 9:15, RETOX from Southern California. I had never heard of these guys prior to seeing the show announcement, but I was pretty interested in catching their set after watching some YouTube videos. I'm not sure how else to describe them, other than loud and chaotic. I guess it was kind of along the lines of Converge and DEP (from what I have heard of those bands at least), but more experimental. The sound sucked, and being directly in front of the bass cab didn't help one bit. I had a blast watching their drummer, that guy is insane. RETOX played through their set with no talking in between songs, other than thanking us and introducing themselves before the last song. Their singer jumped into the crowd at the end and I have no clue where he went . It was very odd seeing a band of this genre play at such a fancy and "bigger" venue, they're definitely more of a house party or DIY venue band, but oh well. I am sure a lot of you guys would really be into them.

After RETOX my friend and I kept our places up front, and then everyone else came closer too for the band we were all stoked to see... TOMAHAWK. However... we were also met with about 30 minutes of the same fight song played on loop over and over and over and over... It is still stuck in my head. And to top it off, there was a couple behind me that decided it was nap time, and JOhn The Drummer's back would make a good pillow -_-.

FINALLY TOMAHAWK took the stage!! The crowd was beyond loud, and Mike Patton counted off "1, 2, 3, 4!" .... and they played the Fight song again . Mike stopped it right away and appologized to everyone. Thus they broke into their first song, "Oddfellows". I am not overly familiar with Tomahawk's music, I have listened to a few songs, and listened to "Oddfellows" (the album, not the country) a few times through, so please forgive me for being a bit vague . Even with the song "Oddfellows", the crowd errupted into a frenzy. It was so awesome, and TOMAHAWK was using the energy to their advantage. After a few songs I retreated back a bit because I was getting crammed (and I had just injured my wrist this day, so I didn't want to risk anything more). There isn't much more I can say with words, other then their set was amazing. It was so awesome to finally see Mike Patton live and in person, especially with an act such as TOMAHAWK, and his on stage banter is just hilarious! I left about 12-13 songs in due to it getting quite late, but I am pleased with what I saw.

Setlist:
1. Oddfellows
2. Flashback
3. 101 North
4. Stone Letter
5. Birdsong
6. Rape This Day
7. Baby Let's Play
8. Cpt. Midnight
9. White Hats/Black Hats
10. God Hates a Coward
11. I.O.U.
12. Rotgut
13. Southpaw
14. Point and Click
15. Waratorium
16. Laredo
Encore
17. Totem
18. Pay to Cum (Bad Brains cover)
taken from setlists.fm, but it seems pretty spot on if my memory serves me well

My only complaint was that Mike Patton no longer uses all of his electronics and keyboards. He has minimized his setup to one keyboard and a laptop, with a few different microphones. It kind of took away some of the magic I've seen in past videos, but it was still a great performance, and by far right up there with the Gojira show from last month!

If this is coming to you, GO AND SEE IT. I think it's only a West Coast tour though, sorry East Coast .

- Funeral Age
facebook.com/funeralageofficial
funeralage.bandcamp.com

Last edited by John The Drummer; 02-13-2013 at 03:55 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:53 PM
Rats off to ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by John The Drummer View Post
If this is coming to you, GO AND SEE IT. I think it's only a West Coast tour though, sorry East Coast .
They said they're coming to the east coast soon
Old 02-13-2013, 05:28 PM
Crucial Mosh Achieved

Quote:
Originally Posted by John The Drummer View Post
I have listened to a few songs, and listened to "Oddfellows" (the album, not the country)
This joke isn't going away anytime soon now is it?
Old 02-13-2013, 05:52 PM
PAAAAAAANTURRRUUUHHHHHH!! !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ommie View Post
WORTH IT

- Funeral Age
facebook.com/funeralageofficial
funeralage.bandcamp.com
Old 02-15-2013, 05:44 AM
THIS IS LHHC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ommie View Post
God, I hope not.
7/19 Devourment
7/25 Primitive Man ?
8/2 SummersLaughter ?
8/8 Motley Crue

Tags
retox, tomahawk