Neurosis -- Tucson, AZ -- October 18th, 2014
The Empty Hearts -- Cranston, RI -- October 19th, 2014
King Diamond -- Toronto, Ontario -- October 18th, 2014
Satan -- Toronto, Ontario -- October 17th, 2014
Deicide -- Kansas City, MO -- October 17th, 2014

Old 02-10-2013, 04:39 AM
Welcome To My Nightmare...

Turisas -- Toronto, Ontario -- February 9th, 2013

This show was all kinds of awesome. Phantom kicked things off and they are the next version of Ash Lee Blade (another Toronto traditional heavy metal band). These guys were intense. Their bassist had a perfect Steve Harris tone and was shredding throughout the set and the guitar player/singer was also very impressive. I planned to buy their EP, but my friend wanted to wait until after Turisas to buy it, by which time they had already packed up. I know they played these songs, but also a few more:

The Powers That Be
In Metal
Killing Concubine

Stolen Babies was terrible. It was weird for the sake of being weird. They have no business on this tour, and were the only low-point of the show.

Firewind were beyond good. They were slotted for 40 minutes and only played 35, but it was the best 35 minute set I've seen. I was right in front of Gus G (to the point where I couldn't hear the PA as well as I could hear his amp). He is an unbelievably talented musician. He looked like he put no effort into his playing, but still had awesome stage presence. The new singer sounded ok. I didn't hear him as well because of where I was standing, but he could definitely pull it off live. I was really impressed with Bob Katsionis. At one point, he was playing a keyboard and guitar solo at the same time They definitely need to come back and play a longer set!

Wall of Sound
Head Up High
Destination Forever
Few Against Many
World on Fire
The Fire and the Fury
Mercenary Man
Falling To Pieces

Turisas was better than I was expecting. They are great performers, and I actually recognized a few songs. I don't know how much I would listen to them normally, but I know they are a band that is much better live. The set looks the same as all the other days. It seemed a bit short, but it didn't bother me.

The March of the Varangian Guard
Take the Day!
To Holmgard and Beyond
A Portage to the Unknown
One More
Five Hundred and One
The Dnieper Rapids
The Great Escape
Miklagard Overture
-------------------------
Stand Up and Fight
Sahti-Waari
Battle Metal
-------------------------
Rasputin

Last edited by Spiner202; 02-10-2013 at 06:41 AM.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:59 AM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiner202 View Post
Stolen Babies was terrible. It was weird for the sake of being weird. They have no business on this tour, and were the only low-point of the show.
Yeah, I tried being nice when I saw them opening for Devin Townsend last September but that's pretty much the best way to put it.
12/06 - Distant Worlds: the Music of Final Fantasy
03/07 - Video Games Live
Old 02-10-2013, 06:39 AM
Welcome To My Nightmare...

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
Yeah, I tried being nice when I saw them opening for Devin Townsend last September but that's pretty much the best way to put it.
It wasn't all terrible. There were definitely some rocking moments, and she's a great singer, but there's no flow to anything. I couldn't help but feel like they had to really try to make it sound the way it did. I just don't understand what a tour promoter could be thinking there.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:14 AM
N00B

Phantom also played Citizen Pain, I remember hearing them repeat that line in one of the songs. Also, thanks for blaming not getting the EP on me, man
Old 02-10-2013, 08:27 AM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiner202 View Post
It wasn't all terrible. There were definitely some rocking moments, and she's a great singer, but there's no flow to anything. I couldn't help but feel like they had to really try to make it sound the way it did. I just don't understand what a tour promoter could be thinking there.
They'd really only fit a bill opening for Primus or Mr. Bungle or some other avant-guard, quirky band. They're opening for Coal Chamber next month and they sort of fit in better there.
12/06 - Distant Worlds: the Music of Final Fantasy
03/07 - Video Games Live

Tags
firewind, stolen babies, turisas