DragonForce -- Aberdeen, Scotland - September 18th, 2014
Electric Light Orchestra -- London, England -- September 14th, 2014
Skeletonwitch -- West Springfield, VA -- September 12th, 2014
KISS -- Lake Oswego, OR -- September 14th, 2014
Richie Kotzen -- London, England -- September 16th, 2014

Old 02-03-2013, 01:47 AM
One who onions things

Testament -- Hollywood, CA -- February 2nd, 2013

Very fun show. Ran into troubles before though. Read on!

So I was scheduled for an interview with Bobby Blitz and was given a tour manager number to contact before. I called and it went straight to voicemail, so I left a message and sent a text. I asked around for info on anyone from Overkill's camp and was able to find out that they all took off from the venue right around my scheduled interview time. So that was already weird. Then when doors opened I went inside and found the merch lady, I explained the situation and we compared the tour manager phone number I was supposed to call. The one I was given and the one she had were completely different, not even just like a digit or two off or anything. So I finally got in touch with the guy, and he offered an interview slot 30 minutes after Overkill's set was over. This was out of the question since Metal Assault has a great relationship with Testament's PR and doing the interview at that time would mean missing a chunk of Testament's set-leading to a lesser quality gig report for Testament's set (generally, gig reports get more traffic than interviews believe it or not). So I was forced to politely decline the interview- oh well, maybe next time!

So onto the show. The first band Kauze was basically run of the mill groove thrash, nothing I haven't seen a million times already from just as meh bands back home. 4ARM was next and they were alright I guess. I dunno, they just weren't my thing even though the songs weren't horrible.

Overkill tore Hollywood a new asshole. It was three years since I last saw them, and they were just as outsanding as they were then. Bobby Blitz is indisputably the best frontman in thrash, and the sound was perfect. Also a big ol' fuck yeah for Infectious! 45 minutes of astounding thrash. The place exploded for Elimination. I went in the pit, got in a huge pile up and lost a shoe. I see it flying around and I try to follow it but it gets tossed onto a lighting rig on the second floor. I had to use my other shoe to knock it off after the set haha.

1. Come and Get It
2. Rotten to the Core
3. Wrecking Crew
4. Bring Me the Night
5. Electric Rattlesnake
6. Infectious
7. Ironbound
8. Elimination
9. Fuck You

Ran into turtle around this this time, good seeing you as always dude!

Testament kicked a whole lot of ass as expected. Alex Skolnick is basically the closest thing I have to a god. The set was once again changed up a little bit, the order was switched around and 3 Days of Darkness was added. Oh yeah, the segue from Riding the Snake into Eyes of Wrath was eerie as fuck. The sound wasn't as good as Overkill's. Eric's solos weren't super loud most of the time and sometimes songs would turn into a mash of noise. I've heard worse sound before at a show, but Overkill's was just much much better. Still an awesome set though, I'm really happy I finally got to see a full 90 minute set from Testament. Also, no encore even though the crowd mostly stayed and chanted after the band took their bows. I'm not complaining, this setlist fricken ruled. I mean 4 songs from The Gathering, my favorite thrash album ever? Fuck. YES.

1. Rise Up
2. More Than Meets the Eye
3. Burnt Offerings
4. Native Blood
5. True American Hate
6. Dark Roots of Earth
7. Into the Pit
8. Practice What You Preach
9. Riding the Snake
10. Eyes of Wrath
11. Trial By Fire
12. The Haunting
13. The New Order
14. D.N.R. (Do Not Resuscitate)
15. 3 Days of Darkness
16. The Formation of Damnation
Satan/Slough Feg - 10/25
King Diamond - 8/31
Judas Priest - 11/16

Last edited by Onioner; 02-03-2013 at 02:46 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:17 AM
Not a number, I'm a free man

Nice that they added another song although it looks like Evil Has Landed is gone.
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac
Old 02-03-2013, 06:27 AM
N00B

Thumbs down you left out the part about......

ALEX being so low in the mix
eric would do his leads and it split my ears alex steps up and every song was way too low

overkill killed them
Old 02-03-2013, 08:45 AM
One who onions things

Quote:
Originally Posted by kngdymond View Post
ALEX being so low in the mix
eric would do his leads and it split my ears alex steps up and every song was way too low

overkill killed them
The fuck? Totally the opposite where I was (generally the middle or to the left-ish on Alex's side). Alex's solos totally cut through and Eric's were quiet. Maybe the sound guy was a moron and hardpanned the two?
Satan/Slough Feg - 10/25
King Diamond - 8/31
Judas Priest - 11/16
Old 02-03-2013, 11:11 AM
N00B

your right

I was on the right side

alex was shredding but couldnt hear it

lame

sound idiot looked like the headmaster on harry potter with long hair

Tags
4arm, overkill, testament