Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Skid Row -- Toronto, ON -- August 20th, 2014
The Quireboys -- West Hollywood, CA -- August 6th, 2014
High on Fire -- Los Angeles, CA -- August 19th, 2014
Nothing More -- Baltimore, MD -- August 18th, 2014
Boris -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- August 17th, 2014

Old 08-24-2012, 09:38 AM
Look at me now, using torches of fire, look higher than anyone else, I am the great juggler!

Nile - At the Gate of Sethu

1.Enduring the Eternal Molestation of Flame
2.The Fiends Who Come to Steal the Magick of the Deceased
3.The Inevitable Degradation of Flesh
4.When My Wrath Is Done
5.Slaves of Xul
6.The Gods Who Light Up the Sky at the Gate of Sethu
7.Natural Liberation of Fear Through the Ritual Deception of Death
8.Ethno-Musicological Cannibalisms
9.Tribunal of the Dead
10.Supreme Humanism of Megalomania
11.The Chaining of the Iniquitous

When I heard that Nile was putting out a new record, I was of course very excited. They are my favorite brutal death metal band, hands down. Their ability to take a subgenre of death metal that is infamous for being monotonous and repetitive and put a unique spin on it is just astounding. With how mind-fuckingly good Those Whom the Gods Detest was, my expectations were pretty high for At the Gate of Sethu. After ordering the album and receiving it, I put it in my car and began playing. I'll put it to you this way: do NOT go into this album expecting another Those Whom the Gods Detest. This is quite a different animal. I was initially a bit dissappointed with it, but it quickly started growing on me.

Honestly, this is probably the most accessible album that Nile has recorded so far. The production value on this album has been getting quite a bit of backlash from Nile's fanbase (Karl even admitted to it in an interview). The dark, crushing, ominous sound of the previous record has been replaced by a more crisp and clean sound. While this does help some of the instrumentation stand out, it also detracts a bit from the sinister sound that Nile is known for, and is probably my only real criticism about the record. The Egyptian elements have also been toned down slightly for this record, but not too much to the point that its not Nile anymore. Also, the song lengths are much shorter this time around, similar to Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren-Ka or Black Seeds of Vengeance. I was a bit bummed to find that there were no real "epic" tracks on this album (the closest we get to that in this record is the seven minute "The Chaining of the Iniquitous", and the last minute of that song is a sample), but at the same time, this album is a lot easier to pick up and listen to, especially by new Nile fans, due to the more brief song lengths. The riffs on this record are some of the catchiest riffs that Dallas and Karl have ever wrote. Songs such as "Enduring the Eternal Molestation of Flame" and "The Gods Who Light Up the Sky At the Gate of Sethu" will have your head bobbing and your toes tapping. The solos are typical Nile fare, with Karl managing to bang out some incredible leadwork as usual.

Another element of the album that has gotten some backlash are the vocals. While Karl's deep, bellowing growls are still as menacing as ever, Dallas takes a bit more of an experimental route on a few of the tracks, the most infamous being "The Fiends Who Come to Steal the Magick of the Deceased". His growls almost become raspy at times on this album, which has been met with mixed reviews, but I don't mind them at all. At least Nile are trying a few new things without totally changing their sound. The drums, on the other hand, haven't changed much at all. George Kollias is a fucking beast as usual, taking complete command over his kit and delivering some punishing blastbeats and fills.

Overall, this isn't Nile's best record (that honor would go to Those Whom the Gods Detest and Annihilation of the Wicked), but it's still a killer album that still rightfully earns it's place in Nile's discography, and I highly recommend that you at least give it a chance.

Highlights:
Enduring the Eternal Molestation of Flame
The Inevitable Degradation of Flesh
The Gods Who Light Up the Sky at the Gate of Sethu
Supreme Humanism of Megalomania
The Chaining of the Iniquitous
Old 09-29-2012, 06:33 PM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

The more I listen to this album the more I like it. It's probably my favorite Nile album since Black Seeds of Vengeance. Yes, I said it.

And the cover artwork for the Digipack version is badass!
10/18 - King Diamond
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend
Old 09-29-2012, 06:38 PM
That Guy

It's quite good. I haven't given this one the amount of plays as I should, but I remember digging every song on the album, Supreme Humanism of Megalomania especially.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:58 PM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
It's quite good. I haven't given this one the amount of plays as I should, but I remember digging every song on the album, Supreme Humanism of Megalomania especially.
That song sounded like this albums Lashed to the Slave Stick, to me. A little more catchy than the usual Nile fare, but awesome none the less.
10/18 - King Diamond
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend
Old 09-30-2012, 07:04 PM
Look at me now, using torches of fire, look higher than anyone else, I am the great juggler!

Another headlining tour is in order I believe
Old 10-01-2012, 01:47 PM
Resident Slamologist.

This isn't a bad album, but I was definitely disappointed by it, and I say that as a huge Nile fan. It just kinda whizzes by, with only the last two tracks being memorably great.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:09 AM
N00B

At the Gate of Sethu is exactly what I had predicted and proud to say, It's showing Nile move forward and they did it like a Magician pulls a Rabbit out of a Hat, no struggle, no double take. This may not be "Album of the Year", but it's still the same Nile that delivered "Annihilation of the Wicked".