Deathwish Fest -- Cambridge, MA -- July 22nd, 2014
Queen -- Boston, MA -- July 22nd, 2014
Devourment -- Rochester, NY -- July 21st, 2014
Nine Inch Nails -- Morrison, CO -- July 21st, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 12-31-2012, 06:33 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

27.Black Breath-Sentenced to Life
SeattleThrash/Crust Punk/Death/Whatever the fuck you want to call it act Black Breath just cannot be stopped. It's pretty similar to their older stuff, just bigger, badder, and better than before. This record is chock full of amazing thrash riffs, whirlwind energy, great hardcore vocals, and of course, the occasional well-placed guitar solo (The solo on "Obey"). Definitely one of the more exciting and best underground metal bands at the moment.

Standout Tracks
1.Home of the Grave
2.Obey
3.Of Flesh

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 12-31-2012, 07:04 AM
The cameras are whores for the daily bloodshed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastodon421 View Post

28.Job For a Cowboy-Demonocracy
I'm sure this pick will be very popular here With Demonocracy,Job For a Cowboy continues their trend of blowing the doors off their previous release. The songwriting has never been better and with the additions of guitarist Tony Sannicandro and bassist Nick Schendzielos, the band has never sounded tighter. Any doubt that this band is still deathcore have been completely shattered with this LP. This is straight-up technical death metal and it kicks a whole lot of ass. If there was any record that was going to sway elitists opinion on Job For a Cowboy, It would be this. Great record and I'm really excited to see what they come out with next.

Standout Tracks
1.The Manipulation Stream
2.Tongueless and Bound
3.Nourishment Through Bloodshed
Interested pick this high. I'm a JFAC fan, and I really couldn't get into this album other than tracks 1,2, and 9. Not a bad album, but it doesn't come anywhere close to Ruination in listenability IMO. Definately a more technical album, but it just didn't sound great to me.

Definately enjoying this thread, though.

07/28-Cannibal Corpse (?)
08/09-Heavy MTL (?)
08/10-Heavy MTL (?)
11/03-Suffocation, Kataklysm
Old 12-31-2012, 07:42 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellawaits77ny View Post
Interested pick this high. I'm a JFAC fan, and I really couldn't get into this album other than tracks 1,2, and 9. Not a bad album, but it doesn't come anywhere close to Ruination in listenability IMO. Definately a more technical album, but it just didn't sound great to me.

Definately enjoying this thread, though.
Thanks man! Glad your digging the thread. I just really like the direction JFAC is headed in and they have never sounded better imo.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:28 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

26.3 Inches of Blood-Long Live Heavy Metal
After a slight departure in sound for the worst on their last record Here Waits Thy Doom, 3 Inches of Blood is back to what they do best on Long Live Heavy Metal. The thrash edge that was missing on Here Waits Thy Doom is back in full force on this record and I couldn't be happier about it. Here Waits Thy Doom wasn't as dynamic from a musical standpoint and I think they realized that and corrected it on this record. Cam Pipes's vocals have admittedly declined a bit, but the catchy vintage riffs and much improved screaming from Justin Hagberg more than make up for it. These guys are hellbent on keeping traditional, old-school metal alive and they have definitely succeeded. Their love of metal is immense and infectious and Long Live Heavy Metal spends almost an hour hammering that point home.

Standout Tracks
1.Leave It on the Ice
2.Die for Gold (Upon the Boiling Sea IV)
3.My Sword Will Not Sleep

Old 12-31-2012, 12:20 PM
I'm reaching out for something else.

Need to re check out Parkway Drive, hated it the first listen. JFAC? really??? gross
Old 12-31-2012, 01:08 PM
Not popular in Buffalo

25.Whitechapel-Whitechapel
This is one of the more pleasantly surprising records I've heard this year. I've liked Whitechapel for a while now, but they had never really impressed me until this record. The songwriting is monumentally improved from their older stuff. There is actually some cool riffs and solos on this record! They even experiment with some new stuff like Middle Eastern-scales, piano, and yes even nu-metal, but it all works extremely well and adds a lot of depth to their sound. The music is finally strong enough to match Phil Bozeman's vocals, which were previously my biggest attraction to this band and they continue to be very impressive and have only gotten better by the album. I applaud them for going outside the box a little on this record and it's easily their best record to date because of it.

Standout Tracks
1.Make it Bleed
2.Dead Silence
3.(Cult)uralist

Last edited by mastodon421; 12-31-2012 at 01:21 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:36 PM
Not popular in Buffalo

24.Overkill-The Electric Age
Thrash icons Overkill still have it after all these years. Despite not being my favorite thrash band ever, since the dawn of the new millennium they have been the most consistent old-school thrash band. The Electric Age continues Overkill's trend of kicking ass well into their third decade. While not quite reaching the heights of their amazing last effort Ironbound, The Electric Age has a very similar feel and an almost equal end-result. This album is full of speed, catchy riffs and hooks, and Blitz's trademark snarl. The laggy midsection of "Wish You Were Dead", "Black Daze", and "Save Yourself" bring down the incendiary opening duo of "Come and Get It" and "Electric Rattlesnake" and temporarily derail the momentum of the album. Thankfully the second half is thoroughly consistent and just as good, if not better than the first two tracks. It's no Ironbound, but The Electric Age still packs a wallop and is damn fine thrash.

Standout Tracks
1.All Over but the Shouting
2.Come and Get It
3.Good Night

Old 01-02-2013, 06:32 AM
The cameras are whores for the daily bloodshed.

You and I seem to aknowledge Whitechapel's change the same way, our opinions on it differ just slightly, though .

07/28-Cannibal Corpse (?)
08/09-Heavy MTL (?)
08/10-Heavy MTL (?)
11/03-Suffocation, Kataklysm
Old 01-02-2013, 06:39 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellawaits77ny View Post
You and I seem to aknowledge Whitechapel's change the same way, our opinions on it differ just slightly, though .
Indeed they do

Old 01-02-2013, 06:55 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

23.The Sword-Apocryphon
The Sword brings back a little bit of the doom of their earlier records while maintaining the hard rock sensibilities of Warp Riders on their newest releaseApocryphon. While not quite as good as Warp Riders, Apocryphon still has it's fair share of quality stoner riffs and catchy hooks. The return of some of the raw heaviness from their first two records was much appreciated as well and it gives these tracks a bit more of a crunch than those found on Warp Riders. Apocryphon won't win The Sword any new fans and it doesn't have nearly, but this gets the job done if you were a fan of them previously.

Standout Tracks
1.Cloak of Feathers
2.Dying Earth
3.Apocryphon