Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Ghost -- Toronto, ON -- April 17, 2014
Rainbow Bar & Grill 42nd Anniversary -- West Hollywood, CA -- April 13, 2014
The Goddamn Gallows -- Long Beach, CA -- April 16th, 2014
Unearth -- Ottawa, Ontario -- April 15th, 2014
Black Sabbath -- Ottawa, Ontario -- April 13th, 2014

Old 03-23-2013, 06:46 AM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Lots of diverse shit here dude, nice list. I totally agree with you on that Nativity in Black album. I never ever listen to it anymore but it really turned me on to Sepultura, that cover of Symptom is still one of the heaviest things ever. That album also got me way more interested in Sabbath. I think the only albums I had by them at that point were Paranoid and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath.

I definitely don't share your love for Broken Social Scene though. They're very near the top of the "bands I can't fucking stand" list. My wife listens to them though, so I've heard a lot of their stuff. Also, I see you're going to the Sigur Ros show next Saturday (another band on that list lol). I won't be there, but my wife and her best friend will be. My wife asked me if I wanted to go, but I don't understand why you'd pay 30 bucks to go sleep in a concert hall when you can sleep at home for free!
Old 03-23-2013, 12:29 PM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
Lots of diverse shit here dude, nice list. I totally agree with you on that Nativity in Black album. I never ever listen to it anymore but it really turned me on to Sepultura, that cover of Symptom is still one of the heaviest things ever. That album also got me way more interested in Sabbath. I think the only albums I had by them at that point were Paranoid and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath.

I definitely don't share your love for Broken Social Scene though. They're very near the top of the "bands I can't fucking stand" list. My wife listens to them though, so I've heard a lot of their stuff. Also, I see you're going to the Sigur Ros show next Saturday (another band on that list lol). I won't be there, but my wife and her best friend will be. My wife asked me if I wanted to go, but I don't understand why you'd pay 30 bucks to go sleep in a concert hall when you can sleep at home for free!
I spent way more than thirty bucks.

I'm actually looking forward to that show more than any of the others in my signature. I only wish it wasn't at the Air Canada Center but it's a Saturday night so there was no reason for me not to go.
07/04 - Agalloch
08/23 - Alice in Chains
12/06 - the Music of Final Fantasy
Old 03-23-2013, 01:52 PM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
I spent way more than thirty bucks.

I'm actually looking forward to that show more than any of the others in my signature. I only wish it wasn't at the Air Canada Center but it's a Saturday night so there was no reason for me not to go.
Lol I had no idea it was at the ACC. Sigur Ros can fill that place?!
Old 03-23-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
Lol I had no idea it was at the ACC. Sigur Ros can fill that place?!
I was really surprised by that too. I'd imagine they'll have the smaller setup which is I think around five to seven thousand people.
07/04 - Agalloch
08/23 - Alice in Chains
Old 03-23-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
I was really surprised by that too. I'd imagine they'll have the smaller setup which is I think around five to seven thousand people.
Ah, OK. That makes more sense.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:49 PM

Pig Destroyer – Terrifyer (2004)

I put the Natasha EP in my top twenty so it only makes sense that the album it was originally packaged with is one of my favorites as well. I remember when I first got this I was listening to it late at night and after the first five songs I had to restart it…because what I was listening to was so fucking awesome. For an album to blaze by so quickly but still be so captivating is a rarity. But PxDx do it every time. The biggest drawback to this album is I’ve always found the production too trebly. But the fucking riffs on Boy Constrictor, Thumbsucker and Gravedancer! And the last segment of Towering Flesh.
“her lips are wet with venom
her posture's serpentine
she'll touch my arm and flowers grow there poisonous and obscene”

Fuck me.
Favorite Song: Towering Flesh
07/04 - Agalloch
08/23 - Alice in Chains
Old 03-24-2013, 06:53 PM

Pearl Jam
Vs. (1993)

Vitalogy (1994)

I’ve been on a bit of a Pearl Jam kick the last little while and have put them on the top of the list of bands I really do need to see some day. For the longest time I hated Vs. I always blamed it on the sound compared to Ten (there is an obvious difference) but over the last year I’ve come to realize there’s a lot more I like on Vs. Now I like Vs. a lot more than Ten; though I still love a few songs on that album (which will make the older members here vomit in their mouths). Vitalogy, however, I loved from the moment I heard it. Late-1994 (1994 in general) was a really cool time and it came out right in the thick of it, with it’s fucked-up little booklet and Hey Foxymophandlemama, That’s Me. I think it was definitely the most experimental album they ever put out. Two solid albums from a band I’ve been listening to for well over twenty years.
Favorite Song (Vs.): Go
Favorite Song (Vitalogy): Immortality
07/04 - Agalloch
08/23 - Alice in Chains

Last edited by adamclark52; 03-24-2013 at 07:06 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:29 PM

The Dillinger Escape Plan – Calculating Infinity (1999)

I bought this album without hearing a single note of Dillinger Escape Plan’s music. I’d heard a lot of great things about them and they’d opened for Mr. Bungle the summer before so I figured they must be good. In hindsight it was a really stupid thing to do. I think it cost me close to thirty dollars for an album I wasn’t even sure I’d like. And at first I didn’t like it. I think I was expecting them to be a death metal band. There were parts I thought were cool, like the main riff from 43% Burnt, but things changed so quickly and I just wasn’t ready for that type of music at that point in my life. You gotta remember, in 2000 there weren’t as many bands like DEP as there are today so it was a huge shock. I can even remember thinking stupid things like, "maybe if they had a better singer I'd like this album more". A couple years later they got the singer to end all singers (Mike Patton) and I ended up not liking that too much and realized they were better off with the guy they had on this album. Over the years it's grown on me more and more and I’ve really found myself loving it. It’s really the only DEP I like, aside from the Under the Running Board EP which is way over-priced whenever I see it (twenty-five bucks for seven minutes of music, no thanks).
Favorite Song: Weekend Sex Change
07/04 - Agalloch
08/23 - Alice in Chains

Last edited by adamclark52; 03-26-2013 at 12:21 AM.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:22 AM

Ministry

Psalm 69 (1992)

Filth Pig (1996)

Dark Side of the Spoon (1999)

The 1990’s were a dark time for Ministry. And the music makes a perfect backdrop for all the personal strife and controversy. They started the decade off with what was without a doubt the greatest album they’ll ever release. What isn’t perfect about Psalm 69? I don’t want to get into every single song because everyone here has heard the album a million times over. But when an albums outro (Grace) is three minutes of one chord, random cymbals, distortion and screaming and is still so awesome you know they were on to something. Actually, I do have one problem with the album. I loved Al’s vocals in N.W.O. so much and he only sang for a small fraction of the song. But is that really a complaint? That it’s so awesome that I wanted more. Filth Pig wasn’t really as bad an album as people made it out to be. It just had the task of following up such a landmark album. There was no way to follow Psalm 69 really without people being a little disappointed. But calling it a career low (musically) isn’t just. Even when it first came out I really enjoyed five out of the ten songs. From the moment I heard the Fall and the piano during the outro I was reminded of Baywatch. And what sixteen year old boy doesn’t like thinking about Baywatch? Dark Side of the Spoon is another of their albums that gets shat on and I don’t know why. Unlike Filth Pig I loved that album from the second I heard it and I still think today that there are some great songs on it. Sure a couple songs suck (Step, 10/10) but there are still seven songs on here deserve your attention. That three song spread of Nursing Home, Kaif and Vex & Siolence is fucking mint.
Favorite Song (Psalm 69): Grace
Favorite Song (Filth Pig): the Fall
Favorite Song (Dark Side of the Spoon): Vex & Siolence
07/04 - Agalloch
08/23 - Alice in Chains

Last edited by adamclark52; 03-26-2013 at 11:35 AM.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:24 PM

Blut Aus Nord – MoRT (2006)

In my top twenty I described Blut Aus Nord’s ‘the Work Which Transforms God’ as “listening to what it was to record absolute terror. I can’t picture anything when I listen to this album other than BDSM, dark rooms, torture, agony, pain and disease.” Their follow-up MoRT stripped The Work Which Transforms God of anything that could be considered music and took it to another level. I can’t even say that this is what hell would sound like. This is what would be playing if you were stuck in that place between life and death, between heaven and hell, between reality and your imagination. A place where nothing has always existed and always will. This is a different kind of evil from typical black metal. It’s just twisted, demented, sickening filth. After listening to this you’re a different person.
Favorite Song: Chapter V (though you really have to just listen to the entire album start to finish to get the full effect)
07/04 - Agalloch
08/23 - Alice in Chains