Bob Seger -- Saginaw, MI -- November 19th, 2014
Ace Frehley -- Uncasville, CT -- November 21st, 2014
Nuclear War Now! Fest IV -- Berlin, Germany -- November 7-8th, 2014
Deafheaven -- Toronto, Ontario -- November 21st, 2014
Threshold -- London, England -- November 20th, 2014

Old 03-01-2013, 09:32 PM
with his arms outstretched

Honorable Mention #12

Melvins – pretty much anything released during the 1990’s, plus the Crybaby (2000) and Electroretard (2001)

I first got into the Melvins back in the “Napster days”: late 2000/early 2001. I was unemployed for a long time then and I spent a lot of time on the internet. And Napster was still in full swing then so I spent a lot of days just downloading music. A friend of mine got me into the Melvins a year or two earlier in college but I never bought any of their stuff. Since music was free those days (?) I was able to find everything by them on Napster and had pretty much their entire discography (as well as so many other artists). But then the realization of what I was doing (plus the closing of Napster) made me see the error of my ways and I got rid of all those hundreds of burnt CDs. But the Melvins was the one band of all those whose albums I went out and purchased legally afterwards. It was really hard for me to pick a favorite Melvins album for my top twenty because everything they released in that decade was awesome, even Prick. If they still released music of that caliber today they would probably be my favorite band. But alas, they’ve settled into this hard rock, two-drummer stage that I honestly don’t enjoy at all. And I didn’t really care for their 1980’s output either. But for every year in the 1990’s there was at least one (sometimes two) awesome release from the Melvins. Full lengths, EP’s, splits, singles; do yourself a favor and check some of it out. I didn’t even list it all but any of it is worth your time.
Favorite Song (Bullhead): If I Had An Exorcism
Favorite Song (Lysol): With Teeth
Favorite Song (Eggnog): Charmicarmicat "Bastards"
Favorite Song (Houdini): Night Goat (greatest bass riff EVER)
Favorite Song (Prick): Rickets
Favorite Song (Stoner Witch): Shevil
Favorite Song (Stag): Lacrimosa
Favorite Song (Honky): They All Must Be Slaughtered
Favorite Song (the Bootlicker): Mary Lady Bobby Kins
Favorite Song (the Crybaby): Divorced w/Tool
Favorite Song (Electroretard): Tipping the Lion
03/07 -- Video Games Live

Last edited by adamclark52; 03-01-2013 at 09:37 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:27 PM

Honorable Mention #13

Celtic Frost – Monotheist (2006)

Older Celtic Frost is cool but I don’t really know why people revere the band so much. This album is a fucking monster though. It’s got to be one of the heaviest albums I’ve heard, as well as one of the bleakest. Just listen to A Dying God Coming Into Flesh, Drown In Ashes and (especially) Obscured and tell me you don’t feel like you’re all alone and the rain is pulling you down, again. And the artwork is fucking fantastic too. I love what they did with the bands photos. It only figures that this band morphed into Triptykon, a band whose sole album ended up in my top twenty. What separates that from this is there are a few songs I don’t care for on this album and I don’t even remember, and I found listening to the closing triptych to be more of a chore than a cool experience. If you're interested in this album I strongly recommend getting the deluxe edition. I don't like digipacks but it has a bonus song called Temple Of Depression tacked in the middle and that song crushes. It's actually the song I heard that made me want to buy the album.
Favorite Song: Obscured

Last edited by adamclark52; 03-09-2013 at 08:39 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:32 PM

Honorable Mention #14

Devin Townsend Band – Synchestra (2006)

I don’t know why of all Devin’s albums this one is oft-forgotten except for the song Vampira (which really doesn’t fit the flow of the album at all). This has to be one of the best things he’s released in his career. Unlike a lot of his albums that lose a lot of steam towards the end this one actually starts out somewhat slow but then really picks up halfway during Mental Tan and gets better and better in one seamless forty minute section. Even though that last forty minutes is almost entirely instrumental it’s so well put together and thought out. Just one climax after another. It’s too bad the Devin Townsend Band was dissolved after two albums because they were two of his best albums.
Favorite Song: A Simple Lullaby

Last edited by adamclark52; 03-02-2013 at 07:53 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:20 PM

Honorable Mention #15

Darkthrone Ė Transilvanian Hunger (1994)

To me this album is just COOL. The cover is just awesome and is still one of my favorite t-shirts to wear as I chase my two year old son in and out of stores at the mall. Seeing the t-shirt at concerts is actually what drew me to this band at first but the music is fantastic too. The title track is one of the most hypnotic songs Iíve ever heard in my life. Just listen to it late at night when youíre in that place between asleep and awake and see if you donít end up buying this album the next day. The rest of the album captures that magic again in quite a few places. Itís a really great album if you want to get lost for a while. The only problem I have with it is the same problem I have with all Darkthrone albums, and that is the production. I know that is one of the calling cards of Darkthrone but I listen to a lot of music on my iPod on random. So when you go from something by Amon Amarth, to some Type O Negative, to some Sepultura to anything by Darkthrone you canít help but scruntch your nose a little bit by the terrible loss in audio quality.
Favorite Song: Transilvanian Hunger
Old 03-02-2013, 09:59 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
Honorable Mention #13

Celtic Frost Ė Monotheist (2006)

Older Celtic Frost is cool but I donít really know why people revere the band so much. This album is a fucking monster though. Itís got to be one of the heaviest albums Iíve heard, as well as one of the bleakest. Just listen to A Dying God Coming Into Flesh, Drown In Ashes and (especially) Obscured and tell me you donít feel like youíre all alone and the rain is pulling you down, again. And the artwork is fucking fantastic too. I love what they did with the bands photos. It only figures that this band morphed into Triptykon, a band whose sole album ended up in my top twenty. What separates that from this is there are a few songs I donít care for on this album and I donít even remember, and I found listening to the closing triptych to be more of a chore than a cool experience.
Favorite Song: Obscured
Old 03-03-2013, 06:43 PM

Honorable Mention #16

Sonic Youth

EVOL (1986)

Sister (1987)

Goo (1990)

Washing Machine (1995)

Iím relatively new to Sonic Youth, but thatís not the reason I didnít put anything by them in my top twenty. The reason is that for every good song on an album there are two experimental songs that I usually skip on my iPod. Take Sister for example. It has Schizophrenia, one of my favorite Sonic Youth songs but then it has a lot ofÖcrap...too. Two other things that always annoy me about Sonic Youth. I still love album artwork and I find theirs to be terrible. And I play guitar and it sucks that every song is in a different custom tuning. I got a guitar tab for Schizophrenia last summer and it was great that I could play it. But I almost broke two strings trying to tune my guitar and once I had the tuning down I couldn't play any song other than Schizophrenia. These four albums are the best oneís Iíve heard but they have a lot of stuff (later stuff mostly) that I havenít even heard yet. I wouldíve liked to see them live but it seems like theyíre pretty much done now.
Favorite Song (EVOL): Shadow Of A Doubt
Favorite Song (Sister): Schizophrenia
Favorite Song (Goo): Titanium Expose
Favorite Song (Washing Machine): the Diamond Sea
Old 03-09-2013, 06:01 PM

Honorable Mention #17

Wu-Tang Clan
Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) (1993)

Forever (1997)

I like to consider myself one of those guys who have a more diverse taste in music than most people, but I really don’t. I hate R&B, country, jazz, reggae, soul, funk, do-wop, swing and most classical. So really my tastes don’t go much further than metal, some rock, some alternative, a little techno and very little hip-hop. I don’t think I even own ten hip-hop albums. But five of those albums are from the Wu-Tang Clan and two of those albums are incredible. The debut I love for the gritty, underground darkness. The best songs are any featuring RZA or Ghostface Killah, so it’s natural that my favorite song from them of all time is their duet; Tearz. The massive follow up could be better. Being a double album had it been trimmed down to one disc it probably would’ve been (or if it had of only been disc one with a few tracks off disc two). But like with all double album it gets to be a bit much by the end. This album is all Ghostface. Anything he’s on is fucking incredible. I really should check his solo stuff out. I’m not going to get too much further into analyzing this work or anything because I don’t have too much knowledge of this genre.
Favorite Song (Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)): Tearz
Favorite Song (Forever): Cash Still Rules/Scary Hours (Still Don't Nothing Move But The Money)

Last edited by adamclark52; 03-09-2013 at 08:41 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:18 PM
Not a number, I'm a free man

Good picks.
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac
Old 03-09-2013, 06:53 PM

Old 03-09-2013, 08:26 PM

Honorable Mention #18

Mr. Bungle (1991)

I love this album almost as much as I love Disco Volante (which was in the top twenty). But what kept this album out of the top twenty was that Iíve listened to it so much itís pretty much dead to me. And it loses a bit of steam after Carousel.
Favorite Song: Quote/Unquote