Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

King Crimson -- Boston, MA -- September 15th, 2014
Overkill -- West Springfield, VA -- September 11th, 2014
ProgPower USA Kick-Off -- Atlanta, GA -- September 11th, 2014
ProgPower USA XV Day 2 -- Atlanta, GA -- September 13th, 2014
ProgPower USA XV Day 1 -- Atlanta, GA -- September 12th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 12-21-2013, 01:27 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

11. pg.lost - Key

Yeah, yeah - it's yet another post-rock album on The Nat's list - however, it isn't just any post-rock album. It's a post-rock album from a band I've never even heard before, and yet it's the highest-ranked post-rock album on my list for 2012 - that's...HUGE. I honestly don't think that has ever happened before, but this album just grabbed me so much that I couldn't help but rank it higher than any other 2012 album in one of my favorite genres. The music is sometimes melancholy and sometimes triumphant, sometimes groovy and sometimes atmospheric, but it's always haunting and engaging. Their simply isn't a boring moment on this album - it just absolutely captivates for its entire 45-minute length. "Key" is the third album from Swedish post-rockers pg.lost, and quite frankly, it's a masterpiece, which basically means that the sky is the limit for this band. I eagerly anticipate their next release, but to be honest, I am quite sure this album will keep me very satisfied until that time comes.

Last edited by Natrlhi; 12-21-2013 at 01:40 PM.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:00 PM

10. Baroness - Yellow & Green

See a particularly long-winded and pompous - yet quite objective, fair and accurate (and I daresay damn sexy ) review of this controversial album here. Dude may speechify a lot, but methinks he knows his shit. I agree with the review 100%.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:14 PM

9. Torche - Harmonicraft

Here is another review from that same goofball who talked about Baroness. Dude must really dig the sludge.

Last edited by Natrlhi; 12-21-2013 at 02:18 PM.
Old 12-22-2013, 04:45 AM
THIS IS LHHC!

Those GY!BE and Torche records were great. I'm not a big fan of Baroness, but the Yellow side was absolutely fantastic and "March to the Sea" was one of my favorite songs of last year.
9'21 Overkill ?
9/27 Blood Feast
10/3 Judas Priest
10/4 Deceased
Old 12-22-2013, 08:13 AM
Hagbard Celine, H.M., S.H.

Godspeed and pg.lost were definitely the two best post-rock albums last year, but in the end Godspeed won out by just a tiny margin to me. It's a close call though.

Baroness at #10? That's surprisingly low for you isn't it?

I never listened to your #9.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:42 AM
Humanaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post

10. Baroness - Yellow & Green

See a particularly long-winded and pompous - yet quite objective, fair and accurate (and I daresay damn sexy ) review of this controversial album here. Dude may speechify a lot, but methinks he knows his shit. I agree with the review 100%.
Here here!

Old 12-22-2013, 10:03 AM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post

9. Torche - Harmonicraft

Here is another review from that same goofball who talked about Baroness. Dude must really dig the sludge.
What I'll always think about when I see this album is when I just got done seeing Dragged Into Sunlight, Cough, and some more bands like that with Jordan (smearcampaign on here) and on the drive home he put this on and then turned it off saying it was too happy after what we just saw.
09/19 - BMTH
09/20 - Fuzz and Fire 2
Old 12-22-2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illuminatus917 View Post
Baroness at #10? That's surprisingly low for you isn't it?
Like I said, I was trying to be as objective as possible. My lists are mostly about how much I listened to and loved the music, for whatever reason, and less about trying to give credit for going out on a limb such as Baroness did with Y&G. Truth be told, even though I admire them for making Y&G, I still want to play Red or Blue more often when it comes to making musical choices, so to me, it's ranked just about right.

Also, for what it's worth, I wasn't making lists in 2007, but if I had, Red Album would have been #1. I ranked Blue Record #2 on my list for 2009. I still stand by those numbers today.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:53 PM

LL at Manks and smear - I've done stuff like that before, too. Sounds about right with Torche, although "Meanderthal" or "Tarpit Carnivore" could have been somewhat more appropriate for the situation.

One example for me is when I go to the poker tables and get my ass handed to me - I can't handle anything heavier than Explosions in the Sky during the ride home. When I win, though, it's all about Pig Destroyer or High on Fire or some badass shit like that.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:29 PM

So...getting the fuck on with it, then:

8. High on Fire - De Vermis Mysteriis

This entry on my list should surprise no one. I love this band. They've never made a bad album. Their 2010 release "Snakes for the Divine" was my album of the year, which was the most honest move I could make that year based on the fact that I just couldn't stop playing it. In 2012, I liked a handful of albums just a wee bit more, but this isn't saying that "Vermis" isn't awesome, because it most definitely is. The most boring track on the album (and I use that term with a huge grain of salt and only in the relative sense) is "Samsara", if only because it's a bit repetitive and not very heavy, like the rest of the album as a whole - but with songs like "Fertile Green" and "Madness of an Architect", this album is a rager for sure. In fact, the first four tracks on the album are maybe the best four-song run on any of High on Fire's albums. Anyway, my favorite power trio on the planet knocked the ball out of the fucking park yet again with this album, not that I'm surprised. Perhaps the thing that pisses me off most about this album is that I haven't been able to see / hear the band perform material from it yet.

Last edited by Natrlhi; 12-29-2013 at 11:21 PM.