Impaled -- Oakland, CA -- April 19th, 2014
Tankcrimes Brainsqueeze 2 -- Oakland, CA -- April 18th, 2014
Unearth -- Pontiac, MI -- April 17th, 2014
Wayne Static -- Birmingham, AL -- April 17th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 07-19-2005, 11:03 PM
N00B

Ozzfest -- Camden, NJ -- July 19th, 2005

I arrived at the Camden Tweeter Center at the Water Front at around 2:00-2:30 PM. I walked around the shopping area and sat in the shade and ate, while I waited for the show to start. At around 4:20 PM, they let everybody with seats go to their seats. I was in section 200, row T, seat 16, and the view was awful. It was on the far upper right, so you could only see the stage from an angle. I was sitting next to the guy who last year happened to be high during the Priest set and tried to steal my seat. Strange coincidence. Then the guy in front of me started talking to me and the guy who I remembered from last year started talking. They were both cool guys. The guy who I remembered from the last Ozzfest told me that he saw Maiden many times in the 80s and how to steal seats and that he has been kicked out of a few shows for stealing seats. "No balls, no glory" is what he told me. Then he jumped over to the row in front of me and a few minutes later I followed. Then the lady who'se seat he stole came and told him to get off her seat and I ran down the row and came around back to my seat. Then In Flames came on stage and played five or six songs. They kicked some ass. Then Black Label Society came on stage and played six or seven songs. I didn't like them too much. Then I went back to the lawn seats to get my mom and sister and see if we can some how sneak them into the seating area. It didn't work because one of the security guys caught me in the middle of the act, so I went around and came back in. I didn't notice that I was sitting in section 201 until I realized how much better the angle was. Then I went back outside to see what my mom and sister was going to do. We went to find them a new spot in the lawn because my sister was fussing about how she wanted to be closer, and we ran into a Puerto Rican guy who we met last year at Ozzfest who brought his wife. So, she stayed with them and I went back to the seating area. I went back to section 201 and prayed that it was nobody's seat and the security guy wouldn't notice. It was exciting. Then Shadows Fall came on the stage and played seven or eight songs. They kicked some ass. I was head banging to them the hardest. My neck began to ache afterwards. Then Mudvayne came on the stage and played eight or nine songs. This young girl sitting next to me was rocking out really hard. I thought their set was kind of long and wasn't enjoying them as much as Shadows Fall, but they were still good. Then my mom backed a security girl to let her sit with me and she said yes, as long as if somebody comes for that seat, she has to move. So, my mom went back and got my sister and they came and thought next to me (none of us were supposed to be sitting there).
Then Maiden finally came on stage. Here is a brief description of how each song went. I'll put numbers at the end to indicate how I rank my favorite performances.

The Ides of March - Everybody stood on their feet and was really excited.
Wrathchild - Really energetic. It had me jumping and singing along the whole time. (6)
The Trooper - Bruce came out with his British navy uniform and started waving the British flag around and almost dropped his mic. Everybody was singing along. Lots of energy flowing. (2)
Revelations - Beautiful, just beautiful. Bruce was really interactive with the crowd and sang beautifully. The most amazing performance of the whole night. This performance alone made the show worth coming to. (1)
Phantom of the Opera - Another one of the most kick ass performances. I loved it. I was head banging hard during the melodic instrumental section when the drums came in. (4)
Run to the Hills - Everybody was singing along with it, even my mom. There's not much else I have to say about it. (7)
The Number of the Beast - The stage went dark and the goathead rised above the stage during the intro. Everybody was also singing along. Nobody hit Adrian in the head with a beer bottle during his solo this time. It was cool when he was unleashing the fire and the goathead was above him. He really does have an amazing stage presence. (5)
Hallowed Be Thy Name - An amazing performance from Bruce and the whole band, but especially Bruce. He held all the notes in the intro this time and the last note for about 24 seconds (yes, I was counting). (3)
Iron Maiden - Not too special. Eddie walked on stage and it didn't really add anything to the performance. (9)
Running Free - Everybody was singing along with the chorus. Bruce got interactive with the crowd. The usual. (8)
Sanctuary - Probably the lowest point of their set. Nothing bad about it, but nothing awesome either. I thought it would be better. (10)

That was it. I felt shocked. I was really dissapointed that Maiden's set ended so quickly. I think everybody was. I enjoyed Judas Priest at last year's Ozzfest more than I did Iron Maiden at this year's Ozzfest. Even my mom did. It would have only taken two or three more songs to take this from an alright show to an incredible show that I was expecting for all these months. But no, they chose to do a half ass show. They are still my favorite band, but I have lost respect for them. Shame on them for not trying hard enough when sharing the stage with Black Sabbath and being in the same spot in the set as Priest was last year. Now I have to wait another year to see what Iron Maiden is really made of. Message to Bruce: I didn't see many 15 year olds there. Most people were young adults - middle aged. But those 15 year olds were probably less impressed with Iron Maiden than they could have.

Now on to Black Sabbath. They gave the best over all performance of the night. Ozzy looked like a mad man on stage. He was thowing buckets of water at the crowd. I think he was happy to be able to perform in Camden again after coming down with bronchitis last year. I know there would have been a riot if Ozzy didn't show up again. Watching Geezer Butler play bass was amazing. I didn't like their intro because it was just a bunch of clips from random Sabbath songs. But the performances were really good. Into the Void, Dirty Women, and After Forever were my favorite performances from Sabbath. Electric Funeral and War Pigs are up there, too. It would have been cooler if the horrifying scream from a women was played at the begining of Black Sabbath like it was last year, but oh well. NIB, Fairies Wear Boots, and Children of the Grave rocked the house. Of course everybody was singing along with Iron Man. Paranoid was probably the lowest point in their set, but by no means was it bad. They didn't play The Wizard, but that's no big deal to me.

That's all for my review. If it sucks, I'm sorry. I'm really tired. I hope you all enjoy this year's Ozzfest.

Edit: Ahhh!!!! What am I thinking?! Last year Priest played 12 songs and Sabbath played 10. This year Maiden played 10 songs and Sabbath played 12. Maiden may not have made the best choices in songs, but their set time is only 50 minutes, and Sabbath are the headliners, and they deserve a larger set because it is really mainly their tour after all. And that probably the last chance I will ever get to experience Revelations and Phantom of the Opera live, so at least it's something!

Last edited by Blade Runner; 07-20-2005 at 12:55 AM.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:51 AM
Rama Lama Fa Fa Fa

Revelations was the highlight of my GMETID show too Glad you enjoyed the show
Old 07-20-2005, 09:21 AM
Complete tool

I'm really glad they're still playing POTO, if they had dropped that I wouldn't be going.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:47 AM
Metal DJ

This Ozzfest was hot, very hot. And I was very pissed off because I bought a CD to get signed by Arch Enemy, but their goddamn bus broke down! I did get to meet In Flames, Shadows Fall, and Tony Iommi though. Iron Maiden was the highlight of my night. Period! Im still too tired to make a huge summary, maybe later.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:11 AM
Director, Set List Intelligence

That's a really honest review and I like what you wrote. You're confirming my fears about Maiden's set, esp in comparsion to Priest's set last year.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:16 AM
N00B

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Runner
But no, they chose to do a half ass show.
Sharon chose.

Last edited by EvilCheeseWedge; 07-20-2005 at 10:22 AM.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:19 AM
The Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_turkey_ed
That's a really honest review and I like what you wrote. You're confirming my fears about Maiden's set, esp in comparsion to Priest's set last year.
Yeah... I think Maiden could've gotten 60 minutes, or 70 if they wanted to. My guess is they didn't...

I'm still looking forward to Ozzfest though. Great write up
Old 07-20-2005, 10:20 AM
The Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by TP
Sharon chose, moron.
Is that really necessary?
Old 07-20-2005, 10:22 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCheeseWedge
Is that really necessary?