Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

August Burns Red -- Boston, MA -- January 25th, 2015
Dark Tranquillity -- Seattle, WA -- January 23rd, 2015
Phil Lewis -- London, England -- January 22nd, 2015
Rush -- Brussels, Belgium -- May 12th, 1983
Marilyn Manson -- Silver Spring, MD -- January 21st, 2015

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 01-19-2015, 08:40 AM
The infection has been removed, the soul of this machine has improved!

Arrow Maiden Fan Club - awesome deal or complete waste of time?

Let's face it, this site wouldn't be around had it not been for the demise of the IMFC boards which a lot of us used to be a part of.

One of the reasons why I never re-subscribed to the IMFC was because things like magazines and newsletters aren't really relevant or timely in 2015, they are more a novelty and a collector's thing you would sell on eBay years from now. Membership cards/badges/ID's are also useless, I never used it once when I had it. Discounts via paper coupons were cumbersome and almost impossible to utilize. Pre-sales for tickets don't mean as much anymore like they did in 1992 or 1988, or 1998 even, I mean half the time they never worked (the codes) and we can all score good seats via a million other methods nowadays.

When I was a member I got a couple cool things like a lapel pin and First to the Barrier (which is probably the main selling point nowadays) but overall spending $45 a year seems crazy to me for an operation run like it's still gearing up for the Somewhere In Time tour.

When I heard many years ago they would start charging to use the message board that was it for me and a lot of others and that's when things fell apart...I haven't seen the board since then, has anyone or is anyone still active there?!

Anyway, for some crazy reason I was almost contemplating signing up today almost for nostalgia purposes but then I realized there would be no point! I think the last time I signed up it was $25 or so and it's now almost double that, and for what? Staff costs I guess.

I like the idea of the FC, but I don't perceive enough value for my money in 2015. Is anyone still a member of this and if so, can you give your opinion? Thank you.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:48 AM
Altars of Radness

Any logical person would tell you that fan clubs are irrelevant in 2015. They have nothing of value to offer you unless you're in a league of superfan that parallels that of a Southern bible thumper grandfather who still believes the Confederacy will prevail.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:00 PM

I signed up in 2012 to get First to the Barrier and the magazine was kinda cool but besides that I'd say it's not worth it.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:07 PM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Waste of time unless you need it to get on one of the IMFC trips. I've signed up twice. 2002 to get a ticket for the Clive Burr benefit shows, and 2012 to book the Philly/DC trip (at which point I discovered they've been using the same pin badge for 10 years).

In terms of value, it's always been shit. I mean, you don't even get a t-shirt as standard, just the access to buy one.

Basically, unless you need a membership to access some exclusive show, all band fan clubs that don't provide FC-exclusive CDs are pointless, and since the ones which did, like Megadeth and Dream Theater, have stopped, why even bother anymore? Music is the only reason anyone cares about bands, so fan club members should be given music.

1/2 Obituary
7/2 Primordial
13/2 BLS
3/3 Sanctuary

Last edited by ravenheart; 01-19-2015 at 07:55 PM.
Old 01-20-2015, 01:39 AM
with his arms outstretched

I was always under the impression that Pearl Jams fan-club was really good and the perks were awesome. That was fifteen years ago though, it may suck now.
03/20-21 -- Trois-Rivière Metalfest
07/06 -- U2
08/22 -- Motley Crue
Old 01-20-2015, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
I was always under the impression that Pearl Jams fan-club was really good and the perks were awesome. That was fifteen years ago though, it may suck now.
Yeah, that's one of those I was referring to where they made a fan club exclusive CD every year. As did Megadeth, Dream Theater, REM, and a few others.

DT's shut down altogether. Megadeth's is still going, but all you get is a t-shirt and they've started doing collectable coins every year. When REM retired, their fan club died at the same time.

Seems Pearl Jam have switched to giving members a 7" single every year: http://pearljam.com/tenclub

1/2 Obituary
7/2 Primordial
13/2 BLS
3/3 Sanctuary

Last edited by ravenheart; 01-20-2015 at 02:12 AM.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:19 AM
Close your eyes forget your name

I joined in 2008 when I was going to my first Maiden show; I enjoyed the forums but really didn't use the other perks. Like the others have said the fanclub is really only worth it to fans who have the resources to travel and attend a lot of shows. I bailed also when they decided to charge for access to the forums which I think is such bullshit

so I vote no, unless they make the price lower and make forum access free for everyone
08/23-Weird Al (perhaps)
Old 01-20-2015, 03:25 AM

I'm fine with fan club forums being for members only. But there should be a free-for-all forum as well. So the FC members can go be elitist in their own little forum

1/2 Obituary
7/2 Primordial
13/2 BLS
3/3 Sanctuary
Old 01-20-2015, 05:02 PM
7 Holy Paths To Hell And Your Trip Begins...

As soon as they announce a tour I join. So I'm in and out all the time. I haven't subscribe since it's about 50$ (instead of like 20$ before). Last time I was still in the message board it was mostly fights over everything so I don't miss that.

I know they give a bunch of stuff now but I do it exclusively for the pre-sales (and FTTB if I decide to do it at a particular show), that's my only reason. But since I'm going to most shows in the stands maybe I don't even have to do the pre-sales, but that gives me peace of mind for relatively good seats before they go onsale to the general public.

Cheers !
PowerMaiden