Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Overkill -- West Springfield, VA -- September 11th, 2014
ProgPower USA Kick-Off -- Atlanta, GA -- September 11th, 2014
ProgPower USA XV Day 2 -- Atlanta, GA -- September 13th, 2014
ProgPower USA XV Day 1 -- Atlanta, GA -- September 12th, 2014
Samhain -- Chicago, IL -- September 13th, 2014

Old 12-16-2012, 07:49 PM
Leaving material world behind, I see your face in constellations.

7. Wintersun - Time I

Having grown out of a lot of melodic death metal and associated acts, I didn't listen to this until recently. I only did so due to the fact that some friends were going to the Eluvietie/Wintersun show, so I figured I'd try them both out. While the new Eluveitie was good, I was floored by Time I. Given Wintersun's debut, it's more or less a Chlidren of Bodom/Ensiferum clone. I wasn't expecting much difference this time around, even with the whole time lapse in between. I could not have been more wrong. This album is so much more mature than its predecessor. Those who criticize simply do not have a taste for the grandiose nature of the orchestral arrangements, and want aggression non-stop. The symphonic movements are beautiful, and the aggressive movements the same. Another great surprise was the presence of clean vocals, which outweigh the growls. I would never have thought Jari could sing so eloquently. This final touch sealed the deal for me. All in all, listen to this. This is an incredible piece of art and I look forward to Time II.

9.5/10

"Time" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg6yS1WHpvk

"Land Of Snow And Sorrow" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_gGVaNQcx4
Old 12-16-2012, 08:11 PM

6. Soen - Cognitive

Martin Lopez of Opeth decided to start Tool 2.0. That's the best summary I can give. While they have been getting tons of flack for that fact, I flip that on its head and say I could not be more impressed. Tool is already a band I love and respect, and emulating Tool to the level that Soen do is beyond inspiring. The level of dissonance and ambience that this album achieves without becoming spacey and boring is mind blowing to me. I was fully expecting a decent album, but nothing amazing. I was proven oh so wrong. From start to finish, this record is a trip. The heavy moments really eat at you, and the softer beautiful moments are abundant and captivating. The vocalist sounds like a more straight forward Keenan, and the fact that Steve DiGiorgio plays bass automatically makes the tone and foundation of each song that much better. This is a supergroup done near-perfect. There are always flaws in an album, so I don't believe in there being a perfect album, but this one comes so damned close. And I forgot to mention that it's a debut as well. I'm not sure if these guys are interested in touring, and as much as I hope they do, I would honestly prefer more studio music. All in all, progressive Tool-heads, get your fix here.

9.6/10

"Fraccions" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuG1MkwXUY0

"Slithering" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iJvMfIaVSU
Old 12-16-2012, 09:19 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

Yeah, I seriously do not get any of the hate for Time I. Unless people somehow wanted a heavier deathier album, from a a band whose self-titled really did show all of the elements that were on Time I. It's the same spirit... but executed different. I don't want to say better... not sold on that part yet, though. "Not better" than the Wintersun album can still mean fantastic though. It's likely going to be in my top 3.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:10 AM
"I call it torture you call it life. A slave to money and everything I despise"

I agree on Time I too. It's a different album than the self-titled, but that doesn't make it bad. I still don't think it is quite as good as the first one, since that one had a huge impact on me, but it's a great album regardless. Definitely in my top 20, not sure where yet though.
10/11 Tom and Boot Boys
10/21 Dead Congregation
10/26 Pallbearer
Old 12-17-2012, 02:38 AM
THIS IS LHHC!

Oh, awesome. I didn't know Infected Mushroom released a new one. I'm going to need to check that out.

I'm also going to need to check out that Knife Party album. I like the songs I've heard by them.
9'21 Overkill ?
9/27 Blood Feast
10/3 Judas Priest
10/4 Deceased
Old 12-17-2012, 05:49 AM

I'm happy to see a general consensus on Time I. Finding it so late in the year and having it at #7 says a lot about its impact. I can only hope that Time II continues in the vein of this album. Concerning the electronic artists, you definitely should check them out. What's nice is that Knife Party are so new that there's not much to really hear, quantity wise, so it's not that daunting a task to pick up the songs.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:51 AM

5. Flying Colors - Flying Colors

Two supergroups back to back? I guess so. Everything I said about Soen applies here as well, except for the Tool worship. Mike Portnoy, Casey McPhearson, Neal Morse, Steve Morse, and Dave LaRue. On paper, that sounds incredible. In reality, what came out was something that no one could have pinned. The closest thing I can pin on them is they are certainly Neal Morse oriented, with the whole poppy prog rock approach. But that would be underselling them by a long shot. Casey provides a nice alternative perspective in the vocals, and Steve Morse's playing is beyond tight as expected. The guy has some of the best guitar tones out there, up there with Petrucci and Loomis. Notice how this has only been covering the instrumentation; get into the songs, it's something else entirely. Every single song stands out as a unique piece of insanely catchy art. Every chorus, verse, solo, it all has a place. These are the kinds of songs that you hum to all day and love doing it. The album takes you through a nice spot in every members' respective careers, sometimes emphasizing Spock's Beard, sometimes Alpha Rev, Deep Purple, etc. I still am shocked with the near flawless output of this band, and I am very fortunate I was able to see them perform this masterpiece in its entirety. I hope they continue to make music, and at least for Mike Portnoy, exclusively here.

9.7/10

"Blue Ocean" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8fZxUGWrPI

"Kayla" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOfWISwjGJE
Old 12-17-2012, 06:22 AM
N00B

Two quick takes:
I also like Time 1 a lot. I don't really care about the melodeath of the last decade or the current wave of folk metal....which, if anything, has resulted in me NOT having the burnout on it that a lot of other people have. So, an album that sounds like Time I is something I can approach with fresher ears than someone who has long feasted on other albums like it. Perhaps surprisingly though my favorite track is track 3, the slow one.

And Flying Colors RULES, one of my favorites from this year too. Awesome awesome awesome.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:18 AM

I'm glad someone enjoys Flying Colors, I haven't met many who do. It's an underrated release of the year, and it's a pity given the star power in the band. I'm hoping they make another album, although I'm not counting on it.

Last edited by SerpentineVIVIVI; 12-17-2012 at 08:08 AM.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:44 AM
Buahahahahaha

A lot of my high school friends couldn't shut up about that album. From what I heard it's a better than what the guys do in their actual (for lack a of a better word) bands.
10/30 KING DIAMOND
11/06 Intronaut