Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Carcass -- Silver Spring, MD -- April 13th, 2014
Destruction -- Montreal, Quebec -- April 14th, 2014
Ghoul -- Hollywood, CA -- April 13th, 2014
Satan -- Philadelphia, PA -- April 14th, 2014
Dave Mustaine with San Diego Symphony -- San Diego, CA -- April 12th, 2014

Old 11-18-2012, 06:28 PM
Rats off to ya

I like the new Testament. I'll agree that Rise Up and Native Blood aren't very good but I think songs like the title track, Throne Of Thorns, and A Day in the Death make up for it.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:27 PM
Leaving material world behind, I see your face in constellations.

That's a great point, I completely forgot about the title track. Excellent track that one is. Man Kills Mankind isn't bad either. There's a good chance that this album suffers from the "Ironbound" effect. Basically, a thrash 'comeback' album is released, it's an absolute hit, and the subsequent release is held to such a high standard that it can't help but be somewhat of a letdown. Granted that obviously is contingent upon the person's opinion of both, but nevertheless.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:01 PM

45. ReinXeed - Welcome To The Theater

The first of two bands on the list that were introduced me due to their appearance at this year's ProgPower (which is an incredible lineup, by the way). Initial impression wasn't too high, and that reflects in this album's position. Conversely, there is still some nice moment to be found on the album. Their usage of theatrical surges in the songs are representative of the album name and the target they are aiming for. It has just the right flavor of 'symphonic' that most bands under that label tend to use now. However, it suffers from an all too common problem known as repetition. Nothing new, still as strong a factor. The songs get buried within each other, and the album really starts to shine again with the last three tracks. For fans of symphonic power metal, with an edge of melody instead of heavy, this is for you.

"Welcome To The Theater" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlJsYvgeI7Q

4.5/10

Last edited by SerpentineVIVIVI; 11-19-2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:36 AM

45. Caravan Palace - Panic

A group I found while listening to Parov Stelar. Both are just about the only real 'electroswing' artists out there, at least the ones that have notable popularity. Continuing forward, the band has made a mark for sure. The album has some great gems, and the good tracks pick up on where the last album left off. The constant balance between swing and groove is ever present, and for that their efforts should be applauded. Alas it didn't quite live up to its predecessor due to the songwriting. Again, not unique, but what can you do. Their last self-titled album was stronger in quality of the songs, at least I think so. The downbeat songs on this one are very monotonous, offering very little to the grand picture. It's definitely worth having due to the couple of gems, but that's the extent of it. At the very least, it's still something you don't hear every day which is always a relief.

"Rock It For You" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBGSJ3sbivI

4.5/10

Last edited by SerpentineVIVIVI; 11-19-2012 at 08:47 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:46 PM

44. Delain - We Are The Others

Summary: Female fronted power metal that is acceptable. A lot of those kinds of bands are overshadowed by the two titans in that respective subsection, Nightwish and Epica. While I'd relate Delain more to Within Temptation, they manage to hold their own and have a variety of factors that makes them stand out a bit. This album is all around average, except the recurring factor of monotony makes this album rank less than its competitors. Once in a while, this is a great listen to get a different angle form this saturated market. It also needs to be mentioned that this is a step up from 'April Rain' too. Hopefully their next release steps up their game to a higher level. Nevertheless, there are some stellar tracks on this album. Definitely worth a listen. At this point in the list, the albums will warrant some attention, at the listener's discretion.

"Where Is The Blood" feat. Burton C. Bell - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oF-YR1I2SQ4

5/10
Old 11-20-2012, 11:27 AM

43. Shinedown - Amaryllis

Shinedown have taken what made them famous and injected a mild amount of aggression in to their formula. In turn, Amaryllis comes out. Nothing revolutionary, nothing terrible either. A solid album with some memorable tracks, and the band sounds more tight in terms of instrumental arrangement. Notably, hearing the guitarist do solos now is a breath of fresh air for this band, let alone any mainstream hard rock band in the first place. There are notable heavier moments such as "Enemies", and great catchy radio-friendly tunes like the title track and "Unity". Fair game for those open to listening to things other than constant metal. An aside, but great cover artwork as well. Very Tool-esque.

"Enemies" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z9Kmla_ceA

5/10

Last edited by SerpentineVIVIVI; 11-21-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:02 PM

There has been an album added to my list, so I'm just going to go on from what I see in my spreadsheet. It's not that hard to understand that everything beneath this post and onwards should be dropped one spot. That being said, I'll continue.

43. Lillian Axe - XI: The Days Before Tomorrow

Another hard rock band out there amongst the mediocrity. And with a name like that, it's pretty hard to think of them positively, at least initially. However I'm glad I overcame even my own initial bias and gave a few songs a listen. They are by no means an excellent band, but they manage to differentiate themselves enough to warrant attention. These hard rock songs aren't exactly as 'mainstream' sounding as other songs (not that that's always bad, but I digress), and the band has solid songwriting skills. Even the bonus track is interesting, given it has no drums and is very...atmospheric to a degree. All in all it's a good album with a few bugs. Give it a spin if you desire.

"Death Comes Tomorrow" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGItcwS2X6M

5/10

Last edited by SerpentineVIVIVI; 11-21-2012 at 02:07 PM.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:25 PM

42. Overkill - The Electric Age

The inspiration behind my "Ironbound effect" theory, Overkill have released yet another album full of speed and aggression. Good? More than good for most I'm sure. However, this time around, the 'comeback' effect had been mitigated, and what was left was certainly quality material, albeit not up to the standard previously set. The Electric Age has awesome moments, starting exactly from "Drop The Hammer Down" and extending all the way until the closer "Good Night". The first half of the album is not as exciting, although not bad. At the end of the day though, this simply does not live up to its predecessor. As I said earlier, it could be that it's just more of the same and it's almost expected. Mind you I'm not trying to rag on Immortalis, for that was a decent album, but I don't really consider it the true return to form. I'm sure most have heard this by now, but if not, do so. It's certainly worth the time.

"21st Century Man" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldXk6q0_ySk

5.5/10
Old 11-25-2012, 12:56 AM
HEY! LISTEN!

I don't really see how The Electric Age can be anything less than a 7/10 at the very least. It's probably my favorite thrashy release this year.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:24 PM

Once again, a few more albums have cracked their way in. I'm going onwards as I see it, so don't mind the minor irregularities.

43. Xandria - Neverworld's End

The short version: copy of Nightwish. The slightly longer version: very Nightwish-like without the more 'theatrical' elements. Mind you when I say 'copy of Nightwish' that hardly means anything negative, in fact it is completely positive given I very much like them. The comparison is justified, and their lack of originality means nothing to me. They have written a fine album with some great moments. Nothing out of the ordinary in this genre, but definitely not bad. Hopefully on the next release they can find a way to get out of the immense shadow of the aforementioned band. It doesn't help that the singer sounds 75% like Tarja, but then again, is that really a bad thing?

"Soulcrusher" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s9cB...feature=relmfu

5.5/10