Megadeth -- Milwaukee, WI -- July 19th, 2013
Family Values Tour -- Denver, CO -- November 11th, 2001
Judas Priest -- Salt Lake City, UT -- November 12th, 1990
Korn -- Denver, CO -- July 29th, 2002

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 10-28-2012, 06:15 AM
N00B

w00tasaurus' Best of 2012 and Award Ceremony

I see a few other 2012 threads popping up, so I'll start mine as I know that nothing else coming out will enter my top 10. I believe Vektor, Immolation, Byzantine, and Arsis have material being worked on but with no release dates and 2 months left in the year, I'm gonna go ahead with this thread. Most of you probably don't recognize me, I don't post much, but making top 10 lists is fun so this is my first time doing a thread for it =)). My little "review summaries" of the albums will be short because I'm not very good at describing exactly what I like about music.

It's been a great year, but in my opinion not as great as 2011 (basically thanks to vektor, vreid, and vader, my top 3 "V" bands of last year).

I'm going to give out a few random "Awards" for best album art, best song, and such as well so stay tuned after my initial top 10.

Album #10
Nile - At The Gates of Sethu

This album is probably about tied with Those Whom the Gods Detest and Annihilation of the Wicked for me. No departures from form for Nile, except for some different sounding vocals. But they are one of the most consistent bands with one of the most unique sounds. Their chainsaw-sounding guitars combined with a distinct Eastern sound secures them a number 10 spot.

Album #9
Miseration - Tragedy Has Spoken

This album is an immense relief for those who crave older Scar Symmetry and aren't pleased with the last few albums without Christian Alvestam. Melodic and brutal, capable of being both catchy and unique in an over-saturated genre. The standout track is definitely "On Wings of Brimstone" for the catchy intro/chorus with super deep vocals mixed with Alvestam's great cleans.

Album #8
Cannibal Corpse - Torture

I've actually never been the biggest fan of this band. I've enjoyed all of their stuff, but was never really amazed. Torture, however, is a masterpiece and I have the most likely unpopular opinion that this is their best album. It is instantly recognizable as a classic Cannibal Corpse album. Described with one word: "unrelenting".

Album #7
Between the Buried and Me - The Parallax II - The Future Sequence

Once again, I have to say this is my favorite album by them so far, and I have a feeling almost no one on here will agree with me. I like BTBAM when they are at their weirdest, and I get that from this album with a mixture of discordance and melody and tracks like "Bloom".

Album #6
Encrust - From Birth to Soil

This debut album sounds pretty much exactly how you would expect a band named Encrust to sound. Crusty. I apologize if I misuse any genre terms, but this sounds to me like a perfect blending of death metal and stoner metal that I don't think has been done so well before now. Very organic sounding. The excellent songwriting on display here allows this debut album to beat out some of the big names in albums #7-10. (edit: I've been informed this came out last year and was just re-released. It stays in my list anyway.. mayhaps I'll shift my list down and add something else for when I submit my top 10 to the voting thread at the end of the year)

Last edited by w00tasaurus; 10-28-2012 at 02:13 PM.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:13 AM
N00B

Album #5
The Sword - Apocryphon

Not sure what it is I like so much about these guys, but they caught my attention with Warp Riders. I'm the biggest sci-fi nerd you'll meet, and they won me over with their lyrical themes and album artwork that looked like it came off a 1960's sci-fi novel. Apocryphon continues their crisp, fresh sound that I can see appealing to all fans of metal, hard rock, and classic rock.

Album #4
Enslaved - RIITIIR

I don't think I like this as much as their previous album, but it's very close. Another masterpiece that can sound beautiful, haunting, and grim whenever it needs to. Enslaved presents some of my favorite clean vocals, as well as some of my favorite black metal growls.

Album #3
Cattle Decapitation - Monolith of Inhumanity

Another 2012 album that I think is the best of a band's discography, and expect disagreement over. The whole album is punishing, but Cattle Decapitation's best feature for me is by far the vocals. Travis Ryan remains one of the best extreme metal vocalists around, and he seems to only be improving and expanding his repertoire.

Album #2
Anaal Nathrakh - Vanitas

The group behind one of 2011's best albums has a new gem out just a year later. I'm a bit late getting into this band but I can say they have made me a huge fan. This album seems to be a bit more organized and less chaotic than some of their previous stuff but it works on Vanitas. Every track is insanely good.

#1 Album of the year coming soon!

Last edited by w00tasaurus; 10-28-2012 at 07:18 AM.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:30 AM
Buahahahahaha

Technically, From Birth To Soil is a 2011 album. Last year they were known as Hunters and released the album for free I think. Either way I didn't pay for it . It was in my top 15 for 2011. I don't know what inspird them name change and rerelease but yeah.
8/30 Whirr
10/30 KING DIAMOND
Old 10-28-2012, 09:38 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapguitarer View Post
Technically, From Birth To Soil is a 2011 album. Last year they were known as Hunters and released the album for free I think. Either way I didn't pay for it . It was in my top 15 for 2011. I don't know what inspird them name change and rerelease but yeah.
Oh, I had no idea. In any case, I'm keeping it in my list! Technicalities be damned
Old 10-28-2012, 09:44 AM
N00B

Time for album of the year anyway. Let's do this!

Album #1
Krallice - Years Past Matter

This album is just.. interesting. There isn't a single dull moment, and the music is so complex I am hearing new things with each listen. Absolutely phenomenal black metal, and I can't find anything bad to say about this record. It ranges from discordant and oppressively depressing to brief moments of melody and euphoria. Very subtle things going on in the background with the guitars and drums and a frosty tremolo picked section is almost always present. For me, this album blows everything else out of the water. The music..sounds.. how the album artwork looks.

Last edited by w00tasaurus; 10-28-2012 at 09:53 AM.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:57 AM
Buahahahahaha

Awesome pick. I really like the new Krallice album too. Only thing bad about it are the damn track titles!
8/30 Whirr
10/30 KING DIAMOND
Old 10-28-2012, 02:05 PM
N00B

Now for some awards for things that may be semi-serious or silly in the world of metal.

The Award for Best Musical Moment Not Already in My Top Ten List goes to...

Abigail Williams - Beyond the Veil, the bit starting around 8:10.
This is a band that has always seemed sort of decent to me but nothing great. Their 2012 album 'Becoming' is a huge change in style and it is a stellar record. So much better than their previous work, and this portion of the song exemplifies what I love about this album. Probably tied with Nachtmystium for my 2nd favorite black metal album of the year after Krallice.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:11 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by w00tasaurus View Post
Now for some awards for things that may be semi-serious or silly in the world of metal.

The Award for Best Musical Moment Not Already in My Top Ten List goes to...

Abigail Williams - Beyond the Veil, the bit starting around 8:10.
This is a band that has always seemed sort of decent to me but nothing great. Their 2012 album 'Becoming' is a huge change in style and it is a stellar record. So much better than their previous work, and this portion of the song exemplifies what I love about this album. Probably tied with Nachtmystium for my 2nd favorite black metal album of the year after Krallice.
this post right here just made me realize we can now embed youtube videos in posts
08/07 - Handguns (?)
08/15 - Whores
Old 10-28-2012, 04:08 PM
Buahahahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
this post right here just made me realize we can now embed youtube videos in posts
I didn't even notice that the first time I saw it.
8/30 Whirr
10/30 KING DIAMOND
Old 10-28-2012, 04:09 PM
Rats off to ya

What is this sorcery???