Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Ghost -- Toronto, ON -- April 17, 2014
Rainbow Bar & Grill 42nd Anniversary -- West Hollywood, CA -- April 13, 2014
The Goddamn Gallows -- Long Beach, CA -- April 16th, 2014
Unearth -- Ottawa, Ontario -- April 15th, 2014
Black Sabbath -- Ottawa, Ontario -- April 13th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 11-04-2012, 08:09 AM
Look at me now, using torches of fire, look higher than anyone else, I am the great juggler!

Awesome albums you've probably never heard of.

Just as the title suggests, these are some albums that some of you probably don't know about. If you have heard of it before, feel free to be a smartass .

I'll post the first album soon. Hopefully this will get you into some cool bands.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:02 AM
Look at me now, using torches of fire, look higher than anyone else, I am the great juggler!

Foreign Objects - Universal Culture Shock/Undiscovered Numbers & Colors

This is a band that I've recently discovered. I'm sure most of you are familiar with the band CKY. Well, this is Jess Margera's pre-CKY band, and if you come into this expecting alternative rock, you're gonna be thrown a HUGE curveball.

What we have here is a nice piece of progressive/technical death metal with some elements of math rock thrown in the mix. Imagine Anata or Quo Vadis mixed with Breadwinner or Don Caballero, and you have an idea of what this sounds like. Deron Miller's shows how much of a versatile musician he is. His vocals resemble the ones he uses in his current melodic death metal group World Under Blood, utilizing a raspy scream, although his vocals here seem to linger more in the back. His guitar playing here is obviously much more technical than that of CKY, and even moreso than in World Under Blood. There's traditional death metal riffing, more melodic death style riffs, and more techy, proggy riffs, with some technical soloing to tie this package together. The guitarwork is anything but mindless wank, however, as all off the riffs and leads are very catchy and memorable. Jess Margera's drumming here is more creative than it was with CKY. He throws in some nice jazzy fills and time changes, but also knows when to be a backbone for all of the tasty riffs on display.

If you are a fan of Jess Margera or Deron Miller's projects, or any type of progressive or technical metal, do yourself a favor and check out this underrated gem!

Universal Culture Shock
Diengage the Simulator
Far Cry Behind

Last edited by AnataFan4Life; 11-04-2012 at 11:15 AM.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:32 AM

Gonin-Ish - Naishikyo-Sekai

Just by looking at this album art, you can already tell you are about to deal with something out of the ordinary.

Gonin-Ish are one of Japan's more obscure gems, even in the metal world. What we have here is a unique slab of engaging progressive death metal with a slight avant-garde slant that draws from a myriad of influences, ranging from Dream Theater, Opeth, Atheist, Cynic, Arch Enemy, and even traditional Japanese music! Anoji's vocals take some getting used to at first, as she can get quite off kilter, but eventually you'll see that they fit quite nicely. Her growls almost resemble a Japanese Angela Gossow, and her clean vocals manage to be haunting and beautiful at the same time. Guitarwork is handled by both Anoji and Fu-Min Takahashi, with the latter handling most of the leadwork, and boy are they talented guitarists! They manage to lay down plenty of those technical, jazz-influenced metal riffs that wouldn't have been out of place on classics like "Focus", "Human", or "Unquestionable Presence", leading into some breathtaking, John Petrucci-inspired shredding guitar solos, which is all broken up by some good old Opeth style acoustic strumming. The difference here, however, is that they draw from the music of their own country, which really adds to this album's Japanese atmosphere. Masashi Momota's piano and keyboard playing is also of note, as he really gets to shine on some of the tracks, soloing just as much as the guitars do. He too knows when to hold back and be more atmospheric as well, and he contributes a lot to the Asian sound that this album has. The rhythm section, also deserves mention, in particular Jun's jazzy drumming, which creates the architecture for this insane piece of work, providing plenty of time changes and insane fills. Ariga doesn't get too many chances to shine, but his bass playing is solid.

If you are a fan of ANY type of progressive metal, then there's no excuse for you not to check this out!

Nare No Hate
Muge No Hito
Jinbaika

I couldn't find "Akai Kioku" on youtube, but if you come across it, check it out as well.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:27 PM

Darkness Eternal - Misanthropic Annihilation

Like evil, blasphemous death metal with black metal influences? Darkness Eternal will be right up your alley.

Darkness Eternal is the one man project of ex-The Chasm member George Velaetis. Darkness Eternal are much different than The Chasm, however. While they still have the same idea of riff based death metal, Darkness Eternal forgo the strange, outlandish melodies and web like song structures. Instead, Darkness Eternal go straight for the jugular, providing an assault of relentless blackened riffing that's guaranteed to get you headbanging. Don't think that this is all brutality, however. There are some clean guitar sections and melodic leads thrown in the mix to break up the monotony a bit. This is all backed up by a percussive onslaught to keep the momentum going.

This album offers a nice slab of riffy, diabolic blackened death metal that delivers exactly what it intends to. Definitely give this album a shot.

Darkness Conquers All
Worship Us
Old 11-05-2012, 05:41 PM

Soulscar - Character Assassination

Not expecting to win many of you over with this one, but here goes.

Canada is usually known for producing death metal of the technical variety, not melodic death metal, which is why I was shocked to find that Soulscar hailed from Canada. This is basically a really catchy Gothenburg style melodic death metal album. There's nothing really unique to be found here, but there's so many goddamn catchy riffs, memorable hooks, and headbanging moments that you really can't help but keep listening. The songs are pretty stripped down and straightforward in their structure, relying on the melodic riffs and leadwork. There's also plenty of tasty, melodic solos to be found as well. Nothing overly technical, but they fit very well into the songs. The drums basically stick to playing simple beats and following the guitars. It may sound pedestrian, but this album is fucking CATCHY, and is very difficult to put down.

Whether you like this album or not will basically depend on how you feel about melodic death metal. If you like that or even melodic metalcore, you will probably enjoy this record. If you don't like melodic death metal, then this album probably won't convert you. Personally, I think it's a great album, and you should give it a shot.

Fatalist Mantra
Sacrifices
It Takes A Wolf
Old 11-05-2012, 06:16 PM
How you gonna rip it like this, son?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnataFan4Life View Post
Darkness Eternal - Misanthropic Annihilation

Like evil, blasphemous death metal with black metal influences? Darkness Eternal will be right up your alley.

Darkness Eternal is the one man project of ex-The Chasm member George Velaetis. Darkness Eternal are much different than The Chasm, however. While they still have the same idea of riff based death metal, Darkness Eternal forgo the strange, outlandish melodies and web like song structures. Instead, Darkness Eternal go straight for the jugular, providing an assault of relentless blackened riffing that's guaranteed to get you headbanging. Don't think that this is all brutality, however. There are some clean guitar sections and melodic leads thrown in the mix to break up the monotony a bit. This is all backed up by a percussive onslaught to keep the momentum going.

This album offers a nice slab of riffy, diabolic blackened death metal that delivers exactly what it intends to. Definitely give this album a shot.

Darkness Conquers All
Worship Us
Will check this out!
Old 11-05-2012, 09:25 PM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Well, I've never heard any of them... but I wouldn't expect to find them awesome either...

23/4 Scott Stapp
24/4 MoonKings
25/4 Spirit Caravan
30/4 Kenny Wayne Shepherd
Old 11-06-2012, 03:16 AM

Children - Hard Times Hanging at the End of the World

I'm sure most of you are familiar with the band Early Man. Well this is their drummer's other band.

Musically this is quite a bit different than Early Man. What we have here is a pretty strange sounding progressive/technical thrash metal album, and as you can probably already tell by the genre, this album has riffs by the TRUCKLOAD. Lots of memorable, headbanging riffs to be found here, with a technical flair for good measure. Each song is just one kickass riff after kickass riff, usually broken up by a nice, shredding guitar solo, accompanied by rough, raw sounding vocals and some skilled work behind the kit. Quite honestly, there's no band that I can really compare these guys to. Some of the dissonant parts might be slightly Voivod-esque, and the riffs might recall some of Coroner's material, but this is truly a different beast all its own.

If you want a kickass thrash record that has a more progressive/technical vibe to it, look no further than Hard Times Hanging at the End of the World.

Advanced Mind Control
Time Is The Living
Power of the Spirit
Old 11-06-2012, 08:18 AM
Buahahahahaha

Children are a great band. Surprisingly my entry level metal friend introduced me to them.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:03 AM

Lethargy - It's Hard to Write With a Little Hand

It's kinda surprising to me how underrated this band is, considering how most of the band members are now in much bigger bands. Erik Burke now plays guitar for Brutal Truth, as well as starting Sulaco, and i'm sure most of you are familiar with Brann Dailor and Bill Kelliher of Today Is the Day and Mastodon fame.

This album is quite a different beast from any of their present bands. This album is actually a unique fusion of early progressive/technical death metal in the vein of bands like Atheist and Death, and an early form of mathcore (a genre that was just being born at this time). The vocal style is a hardcore style bark, almost resembling Troy Sanders (funny since Mastodon was pretty much born from this band). The guitars fluctuate between proggy noodling, crunchy death metal riffs, and dissonant mathy chords, creating a frantic, chaotic, noisy assault on your ears, and yet it's all presented in a structured, memorable format. The lack of any sort of lead guitar is a bit disappointing, but it doesn't detract from the sound at all. For those of you who think Brann Dailor's legendary drumming began at Mastodon, you're about to be in for a pleasant surprise. Brann's technical, fill-heavy style of drumming is showcased just as frequently here as it is with Mastodon. With the style that is being displayed here however, Brann is able to flesh out a bit more.

If you love Mastodon or any form of progressive/tech metal, you should definitely give this a listen.

Humor Me
Spineless
Spill