Despised Icon -- Worcester, MA -- December 21st, 2014
Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014
Opeth -- Toronto, Ontario -- December 21st, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 11-11-2012, 01:19 PM
THIS IS LHHC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
What the fuck is Sleastak anyway, who knows.
Aren't those the alien things from Land of the Lost?
1/16 Mayhem
1/23 Sea of Shit
1/24 SMASH POTATER!!!
1/31 Anti-Flag
Old 11-11-2012, 02:14 PM
with his arms outstretched

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalfitegrdan View Post
Aren't those the alien things from Land of the Lost?
I think you're right. After I Google the album title to get the cover image I got a lot of images of them.

12/27 -- Unearth/Protest the Hero
03/07 -- Video Games Live
07/06 -- U2
Old 11-11-2012, 02:29 PM

Kittens - Tiger Comet (Sonic Unyon, 1995)

Kittens was a band from Winnipeg, Manitoba. The closest artist I can compare them to is Today is the Day except their music was more simplistic. Just guitar, bass and drums and a guy SCREAMING into the microphone. Not the kind of music you think of when you think of Winnipeg. They are probably still one of the scariest bands I've heard from my life because they were just three seemingly normal guys. Their videos were awesome too and you can find most of them on YouTube. They broke up in the late 1990's.

Carpenter
Cougar
Superhorse

07/06 -- U2

Last edited by adamclark52; 11-11-2012 at 02:35 PM.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:33 AM
Look at me now, using torches of fire, look higher than anyone else, I am the great juggler!

Jimmie's Chicken Shack - Pushing the Salmanilla Envelope

Okay, so maybe this isn't exactly something most of you have never heard of, so much as it's something most have forgotten about.

The mid/late 90's post grunge wave spawned countless bands, one of them being Jimmie's Chicken Shack. The post grunge sound spawned a lot of generic, bland, radio friendly bands who all sounded the same. Fortunately, on Pushing the Salmanilla Envelope, Jimmie's Chicken Shack are able to avoid these musical pitfalls for a number of reasons. The first reason is that the musicians in this band are actually very talented. Most of them have background in funk music, and it is used to full effect. The notorious repetitive power chords that are normally abused by bands in this genre do appear here, but fortunately, these guys use them appropriately and don't completely rely on them, and instead mix it up a bit with some funky rhythms and finger licking guitar solos. The bass guitar is of special note, being very audible and contributes a lot to the funky nature of the album, contributing very creative basslines. Another reason that these guys stand out is because unlike most post grunge bands, THEY ACTUALLY KNOW HOW TO WRITE SONGS. All of the songs stand out in their own way, whether it be the hard rock of "Dropping Anchor", the Rage Against the Machine-esque "Spiderweb", or the funky, bouncy "High", every song has something to offer.

It's a shame they couldn't keep a hold of their unique blend of hard rock and funk displayed here, and instead succumbed to the commercialization of their peers on later releases. This is definitely a great album for those of you seeking a fun, enjoyable hard rock record.

High
Dropping Anchor
Spiderweb
Old 11-22-2012, 05:36 PM
Look at me now, using torches of fire, look higher than anyone else, I am the great juggler!

Devil Doll - The Girl Who Was...Death

Where do I begin with this...album.

This has to be, without a shadow of a doubt, one of the strangest, most outlandish pieces of music I have ever listened to. This album is one of those "one big song" albums (all of Devil Doll's music is), and it all comes from the deranged mind of a man simply known as Mr. Doctor. Categorizing this album into a specific genre is a chore in of itself. This album seamlessly shifts and morphs through so many different styles, ranging from classical, symphonic, progressive rock, gothic rock, heavy metal, avant-garde, and more. Yet it never sounds forced, instead contributing to the album's dark, unsettling, murky atmosphere. Of special note is Mr. Doctor's vocals. If you think Mike Patton had strange vocals, this guy is going to throw you in for a loop. I can't really describe how he sings, you just have to hear it for yourself. This entire album sounds like the soundtrack to a huge mind fuck, as synths, strings, and keyboards flutter in between heavy metal riffs.

This album isn't for everyone, and may take multiple listens to really sink in, but if it does, you will be rewarded with a great piece of art that was truly ahead of it's time (this was released in 1989).

The Girl Who Was...Death
Old 11-25-2012, 09:15 PM
Exit quickly or feel the sting of the pimp hand.

NoMeansNo is outstanding. Probably my favorite band.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:28 AM

Carcariass - Sideral Torment

Symbolic with gutturals? That's a good way to describe this album (and this band, for that matter). They are one of the more overlooked bands in the French death metal scene, which is kinda surprising considering how good they are. Anyways, this album is a kickass piece of progressive/technical death metal. This album is bursting at the seams with guitar solos. Every song has at least one (usually two or three), but don't think this is all pointless showmanship. The songs have plenty of catchy, headbangable riffs and melodies. It never gets boring despite the high level of technicality displayed. As I mentioned earlier, there is a large amount of later-era Death influence present, especially in some of the riff choices and scales for the solos, though they mix it up with some neoclassical influences.

If you want a more old school take on tech-death that is free from any sort of modern trappings, give this album a spin!

Distributed Thinking
Led By Ignorance
Insect Killers
Old 07-24-2014, 04:21 PM

I highly apologize for necroing this thread out of nowhere, but I've come across a few more albums that I think everyone should give a try.

Atma Weapon - Dark Tower

Atma Weapon are a fairly new band, forming in 2011 and their debut coming out last year. That being said, they certainly don't play like a new band! This has to be one of the most kickass progressive metal albums i've heard in a while. As you can tell by their name, their music and lyrics are heavily inspired by Final Fantasy games, which is already a cool concept considering how much of a fan I am of Final Fantasy. While they list bands like Opeth, Dream Theater, Edge of Sanity, and Porcupine Tree among their influences, they really do have a sound all of their own. Vocalist/guitarist Mick Armstrong is a highlight, with his impressive vocal display. While the growls that he uses do well to accentuate the heavier sections of the songs, his clean vocals are what really stand out. He displays excellent range while being somewhat more accessible compared to most progressive metal vocalists. In fact, his singing almost reminds me of Gavin Hayes of Dredg. Another standout element is lead guitarist Cameron Johnson, who is a truly underrated guitar player. He possesses technical skill in spades, but never overindulges, and while his solos are quite plentiful, they all fit the songs like a glove and are very soulful and emotive. This isn't to say that the rhythm section is lacking, as the do an excellent job as well.

The first six songs all form the 32 minute song that is the title track, twisting and morphing through fast, almost thrashy passages, shifting into cleaner, prog rock-esque interludes. This is followed by the much more accessible "Dark Dreamer" and ends with "Miss Misery", an epic way to finish a great record.

I'm honestly astonished that these guys haven't blown up by now. If you are a fan of progressive metal, you owe it to yourself to check this album out!

Dark Tower I
Dark Tower II
Dark Tower III
Dark Dreamer
Miss Misery
Old 07-24-2014, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnataFan4Life View Post
I highly apologize for necroing this thread out of nowhere, but I've come across a few more albums that I think everyone should give a try.

Atma Weapon - Dark Tower

Atma Weapon are a fairly new band, forming in 2011 and their debut coming out last year. That being said, they certainly don't play like a new band! This has to be one of the most kickass progressive metal albums i've heard in a while. As you can tell by their name, their music and lyrics are heavily inspired by Final Fantasy games, which is already a cool concept considering how much of a fan I am of Final Fantasy. While they list bands like Opeth, Dream Theater, Edge of Sanity, and Porcupine Tree among their influences, they really do have a sound all of their own. Vocalist/guitarist Mick Armstrong is a highlight, with his impressive vocal display. While the growls that he uses do well to accentuate the heavier sections of the songs, his clean vocals are what really stand out. He displays excellent range while being somewhat more accessible compared to most progressive metal vocalists. In fact, his singing almost reminds me of Gavin Hayes of Dredg. Another standout element is lead guitarist Cameron Johnson, who is a truly underrated guitar player. He possesses technical skill in spades, but never overindulges, and while his solos are quite plentiful, they all fit the songs like a glove and are very soulful and emotive. This isn't to say that the rhythm section is lacking, as the do an excellent job as well.

The first six songs all form the 32 minute song that is the title track, twisting and morphing through fast, almost thrashy passages, shifting into cleaner, prog rock-esque interludes. This is followed by the much more accessible "Dark Dreamer" and ends with "Miss Misery", an epic way to finish a great record.

I'm honestly astonished that these guys haven't blown up by now. If you are a fan of progressive metal, you owe it to yourself to check this album out!

Dark Tower I
Dark Tower II
Dark Tower III
Dark Dreamer
Miss Misery
I think I, of all people, should check this out.

07/06 -- U2
Old 07-25-2014, 03:47 AM

Asmodee - Chlorosis

I don't think i've touched up on any straight up black metal albums yet, so how about we change that with a black metal record that is anything but straightforward?

The words "black metal" and "technical" are words that, in theory, should never be anywhere near each other. Not only do these guys bring those two elements together, but they make it WORK. The black metal dissonance fits very well with the band's obvious jazz influences. Furious, blackened tremolo riffing shifts seamlessly into chunky thrash influenced passages, backed by techy, Gorguts style off-kilter melodies. The bass guitar definitely has an element of jazz to it, flowing and dancing around the mind bending guitarwork. The drumming is also a standout, as moments of crushing blastbeats alternate with ridiculous fills.

If you want something a little different with your black metal, give this a shot!

Black Drop Journey
Discomfort Scale
Fractale
Scars Processor