Nine Inch Nails -- Morrison, CO -- July 21st, 2014
Helmet -- West Hollywood, CA -- July 11th, 2014
Mastodon -- Nordfjordied, Norway -- July 18th, 2014

Old 11-03-2012, 06:00 AM
Remember - today is the first day of the end of your life

3 -- Montreal, Quebec -- November 2nd, 2012

Venue: Foufounes Électriques
Opening bands: Imperium, Dial Triple Zero & Transcend

Once again, a really fun show at the Foufounes Électriques venue, though this one was far less physically demanding that wednesday's halloween massacre. I arrived 45 minutes late with the intention of missing the local openers, Imperium. Unfortunately, they had started late and I had to suffer three of their songs. Think Creed, but lamer, more redundant and with cheesier lyrics sang by two fat nerdy kids. This wasn't what I call a pleasant experience. Thankfully, things started to get better after them. The second local was an alternative rock band caled Dial Triple Zero, in which one of my friends plays bass. Pretty catchy stuff; their riffs were good and varied, while almost always having cool leads over them, and the bass lines were creative and fluid. They had a female singer somewhat reminiscent of Cristina Scabbia of Lacuna Coil, which is not my cup of tea, but I have to give her credits, because her voice was powerful and it never distorted. Another cool thing is that they were all costumed, like Municipal Waste were two days before. Batman and Captain America were a bit late for Halloween, but the intention was all good and fun. The last opener was called Trancend, a Montreal band from whom I had never heard a single word, though they seemed to have a pretty respectable fan(/friend/family)base. They played dream theatrical progressive metal, but with the cheese factor of their main influence exacerbated to its uttermost and with a more keyboard oriented space feel. Throughout their set, I had to restrain my self in order not to burst in laughter. Meanness aside, I have to admit they were highly skillful musicians; the guitarist and the keyboardist, who also were the vocalists, in particular. Sometimes, they bursted into epic hamonized shredtastic solos. Impressive stuff (Joey Eppard even said he was impressed), but it got boring at some point.

After 40 minutes of technical wankery and fake emotions, it was finally time for the band I came to see. I'm to a huge prog fan, but I always thought that Three had a really singular approach to it and made it really fun. Their performance left me speechless, nothing less. Just like when I saw the open for Cynic, Joey's flamenco-styled acoustic guitar shredding in songs like "Dregs" (which was probably the highlight of the evening) and the instrumental "Bramfatura" (which was extended and reworked into a band version with, notably, vocal solos by Joey) left my jaw hanging. Their whole set was nothing else than pure fun: catchy, heavy and creative songs that never bored you for a second, beautiful vocals with some full-band harmonies (the "We're gonna get you no matter where you turn" part in "These Iron Bones" gave me chills) and, most of all, four guys who seemed to have a blast on stage. The usual acoustic guitar string destruction before the encore is always a treat too. I was only disappointed by the absence of the fan, and personal, favourite "The End Is Begun". They probably cut it out due to the friday night Foufs show curfew. You know, we had to make room for the douchebags and scene kids so they could mosh like retards on Disturbed and Attila. Anyway, this was a fun, relaxed and very enjoyable concert.

Alien Angel
My Divided Falling
The Ghost You Gave to Me
Numbers
Sparrow
Serpents in Desguise
React
Only Child
Dregs
(drum solo)
Bramfatura
Amaze Disgrace

-----------------------

These Iron Bones
7/30 - Counterparts/Hundredth

http://www.last.fm/user/voidflame
Old 11-03-2012, 11:31 AM
I am not a N00B, I am a free man!

I'm jealous. Haven't seen them live in about five years.

07/25 - Anthrax / Living Colour
07/31 - Chicago / REO Speedwagon
08/14 - Paul McCartney
10/30 - King Diamond
Old 11-03-2012, 12:22 PM
That Guy

I still remember hanging out with them last November on the Cynic tour, they are great guys who put on a great show.

Tags
three (band)