Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Queen -- Columbia, MD -- July 20th, 2014
Deathwish Fest -- Cambridge, MA -- July 22nd, 2014
Queen -- Boston, MA -- July 22nd, 2014
Devourment -- Rochester, NY -- July 21st, 2014
Nine Inch Nails -- Morrison, CO -- July 21st, 2014

Old 11-04-2012, 08:39 PM
N00B

Great job so far. But every album in your top 20 was either a 9.5 or perfect 10? Maybe I just have a different idea on what a perfect/near perfect album is.
10/3 Anathema/ Alcest
10/4 Mark Lanegan
11/1 Dax Riggs
11/8 LOG/KSE
12/12 High on Fire
2/22 DT/OG
Old 11-04-2012, 11:46 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fates Guardian View Post
Interesting, I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the reply!

No problem man. If someone takes the time to reply, I have the time to reply back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W0unds View Post
Really nice job on this list man! I definitely missed a few solid releases this year (Aborted, My Dying Bride, Stone Sour, Cloudkicker to name a few), time for some catching up.

Thank you good sir! I still have a fuckload of albums to go. but yeah start checking out those albums sooner rather then later, or you'll end up like me, missing out on a lot of music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
I really need to give this a listen. I loved Planet of Ice, but from what I heard of Omni I was disappointed in their direction. That said, I should probably give Omni a few full listens too! From what I remember, Omni seemed a lot more keyboard-heavy and poppy than Planet of Ice. Is that the case, or am I on glue?
No i can say Omni was like that, but I loved Omni, The new Minus The Bear isn't really keyboard heavy, it's the instrumentation of Planet of Ice with the son quality of Omni. That's a win to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco44 View Post
Great job so far. But every album in your top 20 was either a 9.5 or perfect 10? Maybe I just have a different idea on what a perfect/near perfect album is.
That is a fair assessment, and you are right to an extend. Except rather then giving it a rating for all time use, when I rate an album a 9.5 or 10, I usually just mean that more towards the best of the year rather then the best ever (although one album in particular is one of my favorites of all time)

But I probably won't rate my top 20, as they are my top 20. Rating them the highest seems redundant.

Also don't expect any more reviews until at least Wednesday, with Napalm Death Mordwolf, and Insomnium interviews (among what could be more tomorrow with Insomnium) and recording the radio show by 4am Tuesday mornig. I have no time to review anything.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:08 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
No i can say Omni was like that, but I loved Omni, The new Minus The Bear isn't really keyboard heavy, it's the instrumentation of Planet of Ice with the son quality of Omni. That's a win to me.

That is a fair assessment, and you are right to an extend. Except rather then giving it a rating for all time use, when I rate an album a 9.5 or 10, I usually just mean that more towards the best of the year rather then the best ever (although one album in particular is one of my favorites of all time)

But I probably won't rate my top 20, as they are my top 20. Rating them the highest seems redundant
I enjoyed OMNI but it is probably my least favorite of theirs. I agree that the new album is a good blend of their different eras.

Makes sense, thanks for the clarification.
10/3 Anathema/ Alcest
10/4 Mark Lanegan
11/1 Dax Riggs
11/8 LOG/KSE
12/12 High on Fire
2/22 DT/OG
Old 11-09-2012, 12:48 PM
That Guy

....and I'm back:

121.) Korpiklaani- Manala

A folk Metal band that only has some Folk Metal to them, or at least it is in the background. This album contains a lot of different elements of Metal all rolled up into a big Finnish Folk Metal extravaganza. This is an example of a band that isn't meant to be taken seriously, just a fun band to be "Metal". It does get a little samey after a while, but while it is same, it is high energy and fun, and we need these kinds of albums in the world. Take a break from being serious and have fun with Koriklaani!

7/10

122.) The Cory Smoot Experiment- When Worlds Collide

This is one of the most unfortuneate albums of the year, not in the music it is badass. But the fact it was made the way it was. This album is basically all the demos and final tracks that Cory Smoot had left for this album before he died on tour with GWAR. That said, don't expect a GWAR type album at all with this one, it is a very Progressive Metal style album, that is indeed left unfinished. IF you were ever a fan of his style you should abasolutely check this out. Don't expect a full sounding album out of this one, but the songs individually are very damn good.

8/10

123.) The 11th Hour- Lacrima Mortis

This is an album that is definitely in my Top 25 and was in my top 20 for the longest time. This is a very depressing Doom/Death Metal project from one of the best drummers around, Ed Warby (Who does everything on this album except the screams). The first album from The 11th Hour is a concept album about a man dying from Lung Cancer, this album, while not a concept, is just as depressing but just as heart felt, depressing and hauntingly beautiful. FOr a new spin of Death and Doom Metal pick this one up and enjoy it, as long as it doesn't make you depressed lyrically. haha

9/10

124.) Gatherer- So Be It

Definitely one of the strangest albums to come out in a while. I'm not even really sure what to classify these guys as. Whenever the music gets heavy they get into clean vocals, when the music gets light, comes the aggressive vocals. Its a heavy, proggy style album, but at the same time it feels Indie and poppy. There is no way I can articulately describe this album, you just gotta check it out for yourself. If you do, at first you will be so confused but in the 2nd or 3rd listen, you will love it.

9/10

125.) Deathspell Omega- Drought

It wouldn't be a new year without a new release from Deathspell Omega (which makes me scared what will happen when they stop making music). Deathspell Omega is such a great definition of Progressive Black Metal. While only at 20 minutes long, it is a great listen that really captures the darkness of Progressive Black Metal they do so very, very well. The EP in general also contains a lot of atmospheric moments as well. PIck it up and love it, it's short but so very sweet.

8/10

126.) Andre Matos- The Turn Of Lights

Progressive Power Metal is back again thanks to the ex Angra frontman (The only other man who could take over for Queensryche besides Todd La Torre). This album is a shining of example of what makes Matos so damn good. the songwriting, the production, the songs themselves. If you love what he has done in the past, there is no reason not to love this. To those who have never heard of Matos before Picture what Queensryche is suppose to sound like, just heavier. This album is absolutely fantastic. get it!

9/10

127.) M-Pire Of Evil- HEll To The Holy

While Kronos wanted to go more punk in Venom, Venom wanted to get back to being a dark evil Blackened Thrash band, and they did it with this album. I think a fair assessment of this album is if Testament's Demonic and The Gathering focused on Black Metal rather than Death Metal, and you get this album. For Thrash fans and old school Venom fans, pick this one up!

7/10

128.) Taproot- The Episodes

When did Taproot get heavy? I am pleasently surprised by this album Its not only heavy, its quite experimental, If I didn't know any better I could have sworn Mike Patton wrote this album (I'm just as shocked as you saying that). Taproot has always been one of those bands that were mainstream accessible that makes you go. I like them, not much but they are better then the other stuff out there. The Episodes feels like a very Dark experimental hard Rock concept album and actually regained my faith in the band. IF there are any Taproot fans who love the song Poem, and that's it, this album is NOT for you. This is actually a under appreciated Hard Rock album that most will not hear.

8/10

129.) Crippled Black Phoenix- (Mankind) The Crafty Ape

Experimental Post Rock. If UneXpect made Post Rock instead of Post Metal. While this album has a ton of great songs on it, it does tend to get a bit long, but if you love the style it is up your alley with all 78 minutes of it. Post fans should be going crazy for this if they aren't already.

8/10

130.) Vertigo Steps- Surface/Light

This is definitely one of the favorite discoveries of the year for me. It's as if Dream Theater, Faith No More, and Kevin Moore made an album made an album together, throw in some female vocals in sections and make it dark, and it all fits together so very well. I am very surprised these guys aren't blowing up yet as this album is phenomenal. For a band that you wouldn't have discovered otherwise, get this album NOW! Prog fans, there is no reason not to love this album start to finish.

9.5/10

And that's it for now, going to see Skyfall tonight and get my mind off music for a few hours.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:12 PM
Welcome To My Nightmare...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
126.) Andre Matos- The Turn Of Lights[/b]

Progressive Power Metal is back again thanks to the ex Angra frontman (The only other man who could take over for Queensryche besides Todd La Torre). This album is a shining of example of what makes Matos so damn good. the songwriting, the production, the songs themselves. If you love what he has done in the past, there is no reason not to love this. To those who have never heard of Matos before Picture what Queensryche is suppose to sound like, just heavier. This album is absolutely fantastic. get it!

[b]9/10
I have to admit that I have only heard one album that Matos was on (Symfonia + some Avantasia live stuff), but I never saw him as a good fit for Queensryche. In fact, I rarely ever read of anyone that actually likes his vocals. I like them, but I definitely don't think I'd want to hear him singing "Eyes of a Stranger".
9/5 - Spell/Manacle
Old 11-09-2012, 01:30 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiner202 View Post
I have to admit that I have only heard one album that Matos was on (Symfonia + some Avantasia live stuff), but I never saw him as a good fit for Queensryche. In fact, I rarely ever read of anyone that actually likes his vocals. I like them, but I definitely don't think I'd want to hear him singing "Eyes of a Stranger".
I'd rather have Todd do it honestly. But I love Andre's vocals and I see it as a good fit. But I much prefer his solo work like what I reviewed above.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:07 AM
That Guy

131.) Just Like Vinyl- Black Mass

A very experimental Alternative Rock/Metal album. The Lead singer, guitarist of The Fall Of Troy is fronting this band. Its like if Coheed And Cambria wanted to be Every Time I Die, or if Every Time I Die wanted to be Coheed and Cambria. it's very....different. I recommend it for a fan of any of the three bands mentioned above, for me it's not my bag, but I know someone out there will like one of those 3 bands and will dig this, so give it a good listen.

6/10

132.) Mono- For My Parents

It's very hard to top perfection. Mono tried topping Hymn To The Immortal wind with For My Parents. It doesn't beat it in my opinion but it gets very damn close. This album is full of sheer brilliance. Its a symphonic, soundtrack tour de force. So much emotion is packed into this album its hard not to sit back and let your emotions get the better of you. For a fan of any style of REAL music, this should be held high. Don't forget about this one, it's a keeper!

9/10

133.) Primalfrost- Chapters Of Time

Canadian Folk Metal. You'd think it would just be an ode to Rush and Kraft Dinner right? Nope, it is a very Alestorm meets Primordial EP that I am digging a lot. Its a very heavy album but lots of cleans amongst the Folk Metal, and Black Metal which makes it easier to digest. As you can imagine the songs are about Winter and at time maybe a tad bit cheesy, but again it's Canada, so it's all good. Check it out!

7/10

134.) Luna Amara- Pietre in Alb

Just got this album a few days ago and I am quite impressed. its a lighter progressive Metal album. Lots of Alternative Rock thrown in amongst some Dream theater and Opeth style moments (no screams). I am still digesting the album but it is very damn good. Its the kind of album where you think, this should be on mainstream radio, if mainstream radio didn't absolutely suck. The only thing I would say is that the vocal style at times is a bit jarring, trying to hit low notes he can not hit, but from the sounds of it, these guys will make it far as long as they keep up the great songwriting and above all keep polishing their work.

7/10

135.) Yossi Sassi- Melting Clocks

From the guitarist of Orphaned Land comes a Epic Hebrew Prog Rock album that in a lot of ways reminds me of bands like Camel, Porcupine Tree and some Dream Theater. It reminds me a lot of the Daniel Jakubovic album last year that was number 2 for me last year. Although this time around its a bit more one sided. yes it is a varied Prog Rock album but it does start to feel long after a while, but its an album where enjoyed in pieces is a damn masterpiece. Prog fans, don't miss this one.

8/10

136.) Psycroptic- The Inherited Repression

Ever since last year, its been really damn hard for a Technical Death Metal band to impress me as much as it used to. I am well passed the LOOK HOW MANY NOTES I CAN PLAY PHASE. I have been for years, I like a band who can make a solid yet varied Tech Death Metal album, and that's exactly what this is. There is a lot of unexpected dynamics throughout this and lots of melodies and harmonies that are not heard in this style much anymore. While this is another album I haven't been able to give my full attention, it is by far a killer album and should not be overlooked. it will be underrated this year. that is a given, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't check it out.

7/10

137.) Every Time I Die- Ex Lives

I don't know if it is just from the bad experience I had meeting these guys or I just grew out of these guys but Every Time I die just doesn't hit home like Hot Damn! did for me. The one thing this album has going for it is the amount of dynamics and not just chaos, its quite varied, as if These Damn Things had an affect on the band, which is a good thing. Nowhere near a favorite for me but it is better for what it is worth.

6/10

138.) Lethian Dreams- Season Of Raven Words

Atmospheric Doom Metal sung with Female vocals. This was one of the first albums to grab my attention this year and I gotta say it is still impressive after all this time. No screams on this one either. While its not album of the year worthy for me, someone out there will discover this (hopefully thanks to this thread) and will love it and call it the album of the year, and they wouldn't be wrong in saying that. Its a very dark atmospheric all clean female vocal departure from what you normally hear and it deserves some great attention. Give it a shot.

8/10

139.) Ides Of Gemini- Constantinople

A very different take on Sludge Metal. There is a lot of Doom and minimalistic Indie rock on this one. Its a very odd combination to me, it's an odd mix for sure. It is also a female clean vocal driven album which explains a lot of it actually. I dig it a lot although it takes a few spins to it to click. If you want a new approach to Sludge metal without the stereotypes, get it and love it.

7/10

140.) Adaliah- Broken Families

This is the closest thing to Brocore I will ever....EVER like. It is as if Periphery made a Deathcore/Hardcore album. Also kind of similar in style to the early days of The Contortionist, which is why I love it. Amongst the Deathcore style riffs there are moments of pure beauty and perfection thrown in. If Deathcore could be made like this I would have never hated it, but they love their open note chuggs and breakdowns too much to change. This is as close as you will get to a Deathcore album that Prog fans will love. Embrace it!

9/10
Old 11-13-2012, 12:23 AM
That Guy

141.) Seven Kingdoms- The Fire Is Mine

Female Fronted Power Metal. On record they are awesome, live....not so much, at least not back in 2010 when I saw them open for Blind Guardian. This album is vast improvement from their first album. While its nothing you wouldn't hear on any standard Power Metal album, it is done right, very catchy and fun to listen to, as Power Metal should be. If you dig Power Metal, check it out.

7/10

142.) Atoma- Skylight

There is Progressive Post Metal like Long Distance Calling, then there is Progressive Post Metal like Atoma. Kinda going in the opposite direction of LDC, Atoma has more of an science/outer space feel throughout. It also helps that Christian Älvestam on backup vocals and guitar. Another good way to look at this album is if Scary Symmetry or Solution .45 did Post Metal. It's a very damn good album and a fan of anything described here needs to check this out immediate. It didn't make my top 20 but it's top 30 material for me, and could be your new favorite album.

9.5/10

143.) Lamb Of God- Resolution

I haven't really been a fan of Lamb Of God since As The Palaces Burn. Every album since then has had a few songs that are great with a lot of songs I just don't care about.....this album is no different. Yes I feel bad about what has happened to Randy Blythe, there is no denying that, and if they get the opportunity to write another album it could be their best, but this isn't it. Granted there is some killer songs on here, specifically the first couple and last couple songs. Everything else is the standard LOG songs. It's not bad, just not my bag. if you like the previous LOG albums this album is totally for you.

7/10

144.) Astra- The Black Chord

This is a nice, HEAVY, throwback to 70's Prog Rock. Definitely in the vein of Zappa, Rush, Yes, King Crimson, etc; but done in a modern way that modern day Prog fans will also love. I dig this album a lot and it's a great gem in the world of Prog bands trying to be nothing but technical. This you can kick back and enjoy. Real Prog Rock fans take notice of this and pick it up immediately.

9/10

145.) Firewind- Few Against Many

Firewind has been on a Sonata Arctica type downhill slide for a while now. While they aren't nearly as bad as the newest SA, Few Against Many just doesn't live up to their older albums in my eyes. Its a bit too focused on the Rock side instead of The Power Metal that I discovered them with. It's not a bad album by any means and may get you into the band if this is your first time hearing about them, but just disappointing to a long time fan.

5/10

146.) Terrorizer- Hordes Of Zombies

One of the finest examples of Death Metal/Grindcore currently going. It has everything you want in the genre. It's super fast and heavy, its about Zombies, it doesn't get old. it's just a perfect, killer Death Metal/Grindcore album. Short Sweet and and sexy. The Other kind of Triple S.

9/10

147.) Zero Absolu- Automn

This is a very laid back Post Rock/Electronic album that reminds me of the mellow side of Kevin Moore and O.S.I. When it is really mellow all the way through the dynamics do show up just by adding drums or other instruments. Which does add a lot in this style. This is not a Metal or Hard Rock album,so don't go into this one expecting it to be that way. it's a relaxing mellow album that fits the mood when you don't want something rockin' or heavy. I dig it, you might as well.

8/10

148.) Hail Spirit Noir- Pneuma

Here comes more Black Metal, but not in the standard way. In a lot of ways this album reminds me of present day Borknager. And I mean that in the best way possible. its very dynamic and progressive at the same time. the vocals that are normally in Black Metal are either loved or completely hated. In this instance They are very bearable for anyone who may hate Black Metal for that reason alone. The production isn't the best but it's still worth a listen. Try it out.

7/10

149.) As I Lay Dying- Awakened

The one thing I will give AILD is that they've only gotten heavier over the years. Sometimes the vocals completely blow, like the clean vocals on their last album,. but this album particular showcases bot their vocal ability and heavy songwriting skills in what may be their best album (Although An Ocean Between Us is still a favorite of mine) Don't write this one off because it is Christian Metalcore. It's well worth the listen for some great songs.

7/10

150.) Merkaba- A Lament For The Lamb

A very...."What the hell is this?" kind of album. Math Metal and Improv Jazz. I'm still trying to wrap my head around it. If Meshuggah added John Zorn and Mike Patton to the band, it would essentially be this. It's not an album you can wrap your head around on the first, second or third listen, but if you let it sink in, it is stellar, until then it will leave you scratching your head. I love it.

9/10
Old 11-13-2012, 12:23 PM
PAAAAAAANTURRRUUUHHHHHH!! !!!!

I'm not a "Post"-anything fan, TBH, but I was introduced to Atoma earlier this year, and they are sooo rad.

- Funeral Age
facebook.com/funeralageofficial
funeralage.bandcamp.com
Old 11-13-2012, 03:47 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by John The Drummer View Post
I'm not a "Post"-anything fan, TBH, but I was introduced to Atoma earlier this year, and they are sooo rad.
Awesome

You should loo more into it, there are a ton of great bands like this in this style that you would dig.