Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Slayer -- Albany, NY -- November 25th, 2014
Ne Obliviscaris -- Sydney, Australia -- November 27th, 2014
Mastodon -- Newcastle, England -- November 25th, 2014
Exodus -- West Springfield, VA -- November 25th, 2014
Bob Seger -- Saginaw, MI -- November 19th, 2014

Old 12-14-2012, 07:24 PM
That Guy

Not around where I am. Maybe hipsters talk about them all the time, but I don;t talk or listen to hipsters. I only talk to about 4-5 people regularly that even enjoy BTBAM, but as far as Metal fans go, I hear no mention of them, in Prog, they are a band that people go "Oh yeah, those guys I love them" but never bring them up unless someone else does.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:34 PM
That Guy

3.) Anathema- Weather Systems

Quite possibly the finest Atmospheric Progressive Rock album ever made. I know there is plenty of people who say We're Here Because We're Here is a better album and I personally don't agree. In fact some of you may remember me reviewing this album and saying I didn't get it. Not because they are no longer a Doom Metal band, but because it just didn't hit me at all. Weather Systems does by doing one thing differently. They added power to this album. it has the dynamics, emotion, beauty and overall musicianship that I want in a non-Metal band. The first song, Untouchable (broken up into 2 parts) is the last song on this list that makes me tear up every single time I hear it. It's like Anathema looked at my relationship life from July-December last year and wrote a song about it. It is about letting the girl who made my life feel complete go because I can't have her. Damn I'm actually starting to choke up a bit writing this up. The rest of the album is just as beautiful all the way through. this is not an album to rock out to, nor is it just background music. This is an album that will evoke emotions that even the most evil Black Metal guy can relate to. Needless to say, if you are looking for REAL music, this is the album to get. Just prepare for one of the most emotional experiences of your life if you really pay attention to it.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:55 PM
That Guy

I am actually stuck here....I can't decide between the last two albums which one will be number 1 and which one will be number 2.

I'm about to do something I've never done before. I'm actually going to flip a coin to see which one I should rank higher...
Old 12-14-2012, 08:28 PM
That Guy

2.) Ne Obliviscaris- Portal Of I

This is the most impressive debut album I have ever heard in my entire life. the short way to describe this band is Opeth with Violin. And even in talks with the band, they have said the same thing to describe their sound. But there is so much more to it than that. This was my first printed album review I ever did, which I think says a lot about how much I love it. As I described in that initial review I hear Opeth, Dream Theater and Alcest in this band in different ways. There is a lot of ethereal moments of dark and despair and the Black Metal elements that you hear in Opeth (early day Opeth anyways had a lot of Black Metal to it), you hear the musical technicality and Prog of Dream Theater, and the atmosphere and emotion you hear in Alcest. Although I could use the entire album as different examples I wanna make out what I feel is the greatest dynamic moment musically of 2012, Tapestry Of The Starless Abstract. The song, and the album starts off with a very badass drum fill I have to play every time I get behind my kit, and then when it kicks in give up about 15 seconds alter realizing I can't play that fast of double bass and blast beats for that long, haha. The song has 3 main sections to me, the first section which is pure progressive Black metal, the middle which is an atmospheric acoustic based passage, it almost turns into an ambient background moment, and then after a cymbal swell it turns into the greatest musical moment of 2012, the rest of the song! There is so much emotion in the ending of the song, the violin causes almost all of it, but it takes the vocals, drums, guitar and bass to also make it as beautiful as it is. and like the lyrics say near the end, "A New Paradise Found" That's how I view Ne Obliviscaris. I could go on to describe the rest of the album with the same detail, but why spoil the album for you? Buy the album and promote these guys as much as possible. There are high hopes for a North American tour in 2013, let's make it happen! Ne Obliviscaris, The Future Of Progressive Metal!

Last edited by MPF; 12-14-2012 at 08:33 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:43 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
3.) Anathema- Weather Systems

Quite possibly the finest Atmospheric Progressive Rock album ever made. I know there is plenty of people who say We're Here Because We're Here is a better album and I personally don't agree. In fact some of you may remember me reviewing this album and saying I didn't get it. Not because they are no longer a Doom Metal band, but because it just didn't hit me at all. Weather Systems does by doing one thing differently. They added power to this album. it has the dynamics, emotion, beauty and overall musicianship that I want in a non-Metal band. The first song, Untouchable (broken up into 2 parts) is the last song on this list that makes me tear up every single time I hear it. It's like Anathema looked at my relationship life from July-December last year and wrote a song about it. It is about letting the girl who made my life feel complete go because I can't have her. Damn I'm actually starting to choke up a bit writing this up. The rest of the album is just as beautiful all the way through. this is not an album to rock out to, nor is it just background music. This is an album that will evoke emotions that even the most evil Black Metal guy can relate to. Needless to say, if you are looking for REAL music, this is the album to get. Just prepare for one of the most emotional experiences of your life if you really pay attention to it.
This is becoming one of my favorite albums ever.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:04 PM
That Guy

1.) The Devin Townsend Project- Epicloud

Like you read about Ne Obliviscaris. I had to choose between this and Portal of I as the best album of 2012. I flipped a coin and Epicloud one 2/3 times. Epicloud symbolizes everything I hate about Mainstream FM radio. Every single song on Epicloud is Mainstream Radio friendly whether it be Hard Rock Radio or Top 40. I've heard to main consensuses about Epicloud, either it's an album that you can't skip a song or it's boring. It's the former for me by a mile. Even with the re-working of Kingdom off the album Physicist, all the music feels like it should be played at jam packed stadiums that Metallica plays, and besides lack of airplay (except from my show and select others) that is why it's not. It's poppy, catchy, Heavy, and the most positive album you may ever hear in Metal. Yes I am friends with the DTP (most specifically RVP) but that's not why this is number 1 for me. Part of it is yes, because I am a fanboy. but that's only a small part of it it. Unlike Deconstruction last year which filled the void of the Strapping Young Lad style chaos, Epicloud captures what I loved about Accelerated Evolution and Terria (the two albums I first bought of Devin) and of course without saying this has the Addicted vibe as well. But I actually prefer Epicloud as it is a bit more diverse and int he style of music that grabs me. Not that Addicted doesn't, but I will say there are a couple songs from Addicted I do skip like Resolve. I can't do that with Epicloud. If on the upcoming tour Dev only plays songs from Epicloud, I will be going just as crazy as if he played anything else.

Now as it says in the song Liberation.....IT'S TIME TO FORGET ALL THE BULLSHIT AND ROCK!!!!

Thread retrospective, the tl;dr rating scale and other thoughts will be coming soon
Old 12-14-2012, 09:26 PM
Rats off to ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
and of course without saying this has the Addicted vibe as well. But I actually prefer Epicloud as it is a bit more diverse and int he style of music that grabs me. Not that Addicted doesn't, but I will say there are a couple songs from Addicted I do skip like Resolve.

If Resolve was on Epicloud it would probably be the best song on the album.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:09 PM
Metal Setlists Elitist Committee

Every metal publication everywhere is on BTBAM's dick...
12/20 Cormorant/Wildhunt
1/2 Pity Sex/Whirr
Old 12-15-2012, 12:00 AM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapguitarer View Post
Every metal publication everywhere is on BTBAM's dick...
I don't see it. Although to be fair I haven't bought a Metal magazine since 9th grade.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:19 AM
Metal Setlists Elitist Committee

You musn't be check many websites. Almost every major metal website praised it to no end, quite a few put in the AOTY lists, many top ten appearances, quite a few #1 spots. I think Blabbermouth gave it a 10/10. Almost every metal forum has tons of rabid BTBAM fans (minus the forums at metal-archives). Hell, they're one of the most embraced modern metal bands on /mu/. Not to mention that Colors is the most celebrated progressive metal album of the new millennium. I think I'm the only dude who loves BTBAM on the site (which is many, many people) who was disappointed by Future Sequence. I'm not trying to be finicky, but to say that BTBAM gets a lot of flack and/or that they don't get the credit they deserve is ludicrous.

In other news, this thread was awesome. I can't say I totally agree with the Top 10, but there are some great albums on it.
12/20 Cormorant/Wildhunt
1/2 Pity Sex/Whirr