Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

DragonForce -- Aberdeen, Scotland - September 18th, 2014
Electric Light Orchestra -- London, England -- September 14th, 2014
Skeletonwitch -- West Springfield, VA -- September 12th, 2014
KISS -- Lake Oswego, OR -- September 14th, 2014
Richie Kotzen -- London, England -- September 16th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Misinformation and Propaganda

Old 10-28-2012, 06:16 PM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLVERINEKILLS View Post
Of the old school thrash bands still playing that are somewhat relevant, here is the order of their popularity:

Metallica
Megadeth/Slayer (a tie, Slayer is maybe more popular now, but back when the bands sold a boatload of records Megadeth was all over MTV, radio... its about even imo)
Anthrax
Testament (Not as popular as Anthrax, but easily more popular than the others beneath them)
Exodus (More popular than Overkill due to more exposure on Headbangers Ball back in the days and Holt recently playing with Slayer has had to give them several new fans)
Overkill (Overkill has become as popular as ever due to their last few albums being critically acclaimed in the press and That Metal Show).
Death Angel
In Europe, it's easily:

Metallica
Slayer
Megadeth
Anthrax
Testament
Overkill
Death Angel
Exodus

25/9 Andrew O'Neill
8/10 Jex Thoth
13/10 The Skull
Old 10-28-2012, 07:03 PM
One who onions things

I feel like Exodus have gone way up in popularity over the last couple of years. Their insanely heavy touring and Gary Holt noticeably being the cause of Slayer's recent live awesomeness has definitely helped them out.

It's been interesting living in the bay for the recent Exodus popularity boost. Before Gary Holt used to just chill and talk to everyone and would just hang around. Now it's like all the older folks from that scene have appeared out of nowhere and have started hanging with the old thrash dudes all over again. Now if you go to an Exodus show in the bay, everyone in the band has got a whole posse hanging around them.
Satan/Slough Feg - 10/25
King Diamond - 8/31
Judas Priest - 11/16
Old 10-28-2012, 07:36 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomynous View Post
I haven't been to Beaumont or Riot, so I declare ignorance.
Oh!

Riot = a bar. Max capacity of like 300

Overkill = a club. Max capacity of like 1500.
09/22 - RA/TA/Radkey ?
09/23 - Crowbar
Old 10-28-2012, 07:57 PM
Rats off to ya

Quote:
Exodus (More popular than Overkill due to more exposure on Headbangers Ball back in the days and Holt recently playing with Slayer has had to give them several new fans)
I'm gonna have to disagree with you here. Exposure from back in the day doesn't really matter much now and nothing has indicated that Holt's time in Slayer has made Exodus more popular. Exodus hasn't gone on tour or made an album ever since Gary started filling in for Jeff. Overkill plays bigger venues than Exodus so i'm gonna have to say Overkill is more popular.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:22 PM
N00B

If it means anything, at Heavy TO Overkill were billed close to the bottom of the bands that played on that day. They were right in between Cancer Bats and Gojira.
12/27 - Protest the Hero
Old 10-28-2012, 11:29 PM
Resident old fart

I'm going to this. I don't care if I have to travel a bit.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:58 PM
Cowboy From Hell

I recall Exodus headlining the Mtv Headbangers Ball tour in 1990 with Suicidal Tendecies & a cfh era Pantera opening the show. I doubt Overkill has ever been as popular as any of those bands were - even on that tour.

Last edited by WOLVERINEKILLS; 10-29-2012 at 12:13 AM.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:12 AM
Cowboy From Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodoftheKings View Post
I'm gonna have to disagree with you here. Exposure from back in the day doesn't really matter much now and nothing has indicated that Holt's time in Slayer has made Exodus more popular. Exodus hasn't gone on tour or made an album ever since Gary started filling in for Jeff. Overkill plays bigger venues than Exodus so i'm gonna have to say Overkill is more popular.
After some research - according to Wikipedia google results - you are correct. It appears Overkill is more popular. They have sold 23 million albums worldwide compared to 10 million from Exodus.

I wouldn't be shocked that Overkill was more popular, I thought it would be a close contest. Not 13 million albums in difference. Thats shocking.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:06 AM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
After some research - according to Wikipedia google results - you are correct. It appears Overkill is more popular. They have sold 23 million albums worldwide compared to 10 million from Exodus.

I wouldn't be shocked that Overkill was more popular, I thought it would be a close contest. Not 13 million albums in difference. Thats shocking.
Overkill coming out with albums more consistantly thoughtout their career is probably why that number is so much bigger. Exodus has had some changes in vocalists, which always hurt a bands fanbase and they did take like a decade off after they toured for Force Of Habit. Not releasing anything new for that long puts a serious dent in a bands following to, esepcially when they're just a club band.

Besides being the better band, Overkill has never taken a long break from releasing albums. They still come out with new stuff about every two years and that helps to keep the fans around. Their last two albums being some of the best stuff they've done has probably helped them a lot to.

For this tour there is no doubt Testament would close out the show. Overkill just never reached the level Testament has. If the sales for Dark Roots is any indication, Testament is almost at the same level of popularity that Anthrax is right now.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:29 PM
That Guy

Since the debate is going on....

Back in August, Testament was in talks of doing a one off Veterans Benefit show here in Minnesota. Once their management that the organizers of the show were scumbags, they canceled out of it *all $$$ related*

During that time a good friend of mine in a local band who would have opened for Testament *and possibly exodus as well, Exodus instead later went on to headline the Zombie Pub Crawl a few weeks ago in Minneapolis* was able to talk to their management and in passing their management said that Testament was working on a January/February HEADLINING tour.

2 months later, the lineup gets announced. It is Testament, Overkill, Flotsam & Jetsam (Who I am surprised they could get to tour) and 4Arm (great Australian Thrash).