Megadeth -- Milwaukee, WI -- July 19th, 2013
Family Values Tour -- Denver, CO -- November 11th, 2001
Judas Priest -- Salt Lake City, UT -- November 12th, 1990
Korn -- Denver, CO -- July 29th, 2002

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 10-01-2012, 12:07 AM
Altars of Radness

Kreator -- Hollywood, CA -- September 26th, 2012

When this tour was announced I was excited to have the chance to see both Kreator and Accept on the same lineup. Not long after that however, Obituary announced their tour, and their date in Hollywood was on the same day as Kreator's in Anaheim. So I thought I would try to go to both, since this show was the night before Obituary. Then I found out how overpriced this show was. Tickets were early $50 with charges, while the Anaheim date was $15 less. With the overpriced tickets, the cost of driving to Hollywood, and then paying for parking, I decided to opt out on this one. However, I found a contest to win tickets, so I entered that in the off chance I might actually win. Two days before the show, at which point the thought of going was not even in my mind, I got an email saying I had won! It seemed too good to be true. But now that I was on guest list I would be going for sure.

The Avalon is a venue I hear about every once in a while, but I've never actually been there. The drive during rush hour through LA was surprising not bad at all. I didn't hit any traffic going into downtown or into Hollywood, which is unheard of at that time of day. I arrived at the venue just a bit before 5:30. The website said the doors would open at 5:00 and the first band, Swallow the Sun, would start a half hour later. Well, as I walked up to the entrance I see a long line that wasn't moving. For whatever reason they hadn't started letting people in yet. It wasn't until around 5:45 that they started to let people in, but they did so at a snail pace, only letting in a few people at a time. The security would not allow me to go to the box office to claim my tickets until everybody in the line was inside, so I had to wait in a separate line, which was apparently for people wanting to buy tickets at the door. I'm not sure why they wouldn't let me go to the window like all the other will call people were doing.

Eventually I got my ticket and went in. A few minutes later Swallow the Sun started their set. They opened with a slow song, which was a weird choice considering the crowd they were playing for. The next song picked up the pace a bit, but I found them to be pretty boring, and it seemed that the rest of the crowd felt the same way. Their set dragged on for a while and eventually they were finished.
  1. Emerald Forest and the Blackbird
  2. Hate, Lead the Way!
  3. Psychopath's Lair
  4. Cathedral Walls
  5. New Moon
  6. Swallow (Horror Pt. 1)

After Swallow the Sun finished I went down to the floor to get a decent spot for Accept, who I was highly anticipating. On stage they had a wall of fake amps with their logo on them. The real amps were hidden off to the side. The wait was not long and soon enough the lights were dimmed as their intro started playing. As they started the first song a pit broke out, which pissed off some of the older couples. One lady decided to throw her drink at somebody in the pit and then storm off. A moment later a guy from the pit rammed into me, so I pushed him back in, just as anybody else would. Then I was grabbed by someone and I turned around to see the guy I had just pushed back in. He was pissed off that I pushed him and he proceeded to yell in my face about it. I'm not sure what his problem was. I guess he was not familiar with the concept of a pit.

I continued headbanging and enjoying the awesome performance the band was putting on. I have to say, Mark Tornillo does a great job of replicating Udo's vocals. The rest of the band was on point too, and it seemed like they were all enjoying themselves on stage. Their sound was great and I was able to hear everything clearly. The setlist was a good balance of new and old material, containing a fair amount of songs from Stalingrad and Blood of the Nations, as well as plenty of classics. There are some other songs I wish they would have played, but overall I was satisfied. Even though they got to play for quite a while it seemed like their set blazed by, as they didn't spend much time talking between songs. The crowd reception was very good, but I could tell that not everybody was familiar with their material. Although I mentioned that there was a pit during the first song, it had died down for most of the set, until they played "Fast as a Shark," which of course got the biggest response.
  1. Hung, Drawn and Quartered
  2. Hellfire
  3. Restless and Wild
  4. Losers and Winners
  5. Stalingrad
  6. Shadow Soldiers
  7. Pandemic
  8. Breaker
  9. Bucket Full of Hate
  10. Princess of the Dawn
  11. Up to the Limit
  12. Metal Heart
  13. Teutonic Terror
  14. Fast as a Shark
  15. Balls to the Wall

Although I was looking forward to Kreator, I didn't think they would top Accept. From reading about the past shows on this tour, Kreator has consistently had terrible sound. They spent quite a while setting up, as they had a lot of banners on the sides of the stage and then they put two extra mics on the sides of the drum riser for Mille. After a while they were ready and "Mars Mantra" began to play over the PA. They ripped into "Phantom Antichrist," and immediately I was floored. The sound was perfectly crisp, just as it was for Accept. A large circle pit had formed and everybody was absolutely losing it. It was the best response I've seen from a crowd in quite some time.

The band trudged onward with immense power, but I found the first half of the setlist to be rather bland. It wasn't until the eighth song that they stepped back into the '80s. "Extreme Aggression" caused total chaos and then they segued directly into "People of the Lie," which kept the pit going at a furious pace. After "Death to the World" Mille separated the floor and a wall of death commenced as they started the destructive intro of "Coma of Souls." The intro was all they played of the song though, which was a bit disappointing. They went straight into "Endless Pain" and then continued with "Pleasure to Kill". Afterward they played their anthem, "Violent Revolution," and then "Betrayer" before closing out the show with the usual "Flag of Hate" and "Tormentor" medley.

I'm really glad I won tickets to this, as I would have truly missed out on a great night if I didn't end up going. Accept was awesome, but then to my surprise Kreator blew away my expectations, dominating the show. Even though their setlist was somewhat lacking I still had an incredible time. The pits they spawned were some of the most fun I've ever partaken in and I was really impressed with their performance.
  1. Phantom Antichrist
  2. From Flood Into Fire
  3. Enemy of God
  4. Phobia
  5. Hordes of Chaos (A Necrologue for the Elite)
  6. Civilization Collapse
  7. Voices of the Dead
  8. Extreme Aggression
  9. People of the Lie
  10. Death to the World
  11. Coma of Souls / Endless Pain
  12. Pleasure to Kill
  13. Violent Revolution
  14. Betrayer
  15. Flag of Hate / Tormentor
Old 10-01-2012, 12:21 AM
One who onions things

Agreed on all points dude, it was a great show by any standard. I missed half of Swallow the Sun's set because of my interview with Sami, but Accept and Kreator both completely slayed.
Impaled (?) - 8/15
Sleep - 8/30
Swans - 9/10
King Diamond - 10/31
Old 10-01-2012, 03:37 AM
Žķestru

I'm trying to make up my mind whether or not to go see Kreator this Wednesday. I know I'll be dog-ass tired if I do, as I have to get up at 5 a.m., but on the other hand I've never seen Kreator, and I really do like Swallow the Sun (see 'em before though). If only this show were on Thursday, my day off!
Old 10-02-2012, 06:10 PM
MAN IS NOT ALONE IN THIS WORLD AND MANKIND IS NOT COMPLETELY ABSURD

Great review my friend. I'm really glad to hear that Kreator delivered the goods. Weird...everyones been complaining about bad sounds, but I guess you were one of the lucky ones. I hope this means you will leave a review for obituary as well!
10/19 - D.R.I
11/10 - Judas Priest
11/14 - Slayer
Old 10-02-2012, 09:41 PM
Altars of Radness

Thanks man. I should have the Obituary review up sometime soon.

Last edited by treghet; 10-03-2012 at 12:13 AM.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:14 AM
N00B

pretty cool you won tix :3
Old 10-03-2012, 02:15 PM
"I call it torture you call it life. A slave to money and everything I despise"

Sweet review! Sounds like a killer show, awesome that you won tix to this.
8/17 Jungbluth
8/23 Tercer Mundo/Muerte
9/27 GBH
Old 10-03-2012, 02:59 PM
D.B.B.

Just to let everyone know, at the show the next day in Anaheim, someone literally took a shit on the floor during Kreator's set. Yeah.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:06 PM
I'm reaching out for something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjturtle9 View Post
Just to let everyone know, at the show the next day in Anaheim, someone literally took a shit on the floor during Kreator's set. Yeah.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:55 PM
D.B.B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDoomsayerX View Post
There was shit on the floor. Someone shit on the floor, right near the rail.

Tags
accept, kreator, swallow the sun