Exodus -- West Springfield, VA -- November 25th, 2014
Bob Seger -- Saginaw, MI -- November 19th, 2014
Ace Frehley -- Uncasville, CT -- November 21st, 2014
Nuclear War Now! Fest IV -- Berlin, Germany -- November 7-8th, 2014
Deafheaven -- Toronto, Ontario -- November 21st, 2014

Old 10-01-2012, 08:45 AM
"I Love Lamp"

Down -- Boston, MA -- September 25th, 2012

I haven't posted a review on here in a long ass time, but this was a special experience for myself, so I figured why not. I attended this show with my girlfriend, and two friends of mine(none of whom are huge down fans like myself but do enjoy the music, and like going to shows) we arrived at the house of blues just before 4pm, as I had a meet n greet ticket. The others who were with me walked around boston while I went inside and met Down. Before heading inside there was a security guy for the band who gave us a rundown of what will happen. This was interesting because id never seen a meet n greet run like that before. I thought it was funny when he said "this is very important as several people across this nation have found out, if you give the band drugs you will go to jail" just made me laugh that several people were that stupid. Also thought it was funny when he said "do not bring up the entire pantera catalog and expect phil to sign it" that literally made me laugh out loud because Iv seen people do that to bands, and theres actually a video on youtube of some dude having phil sign everything he's ever done and he looked so annoyed. Anyways when we got inside we just kinda hung out for alittle while before the band began their sound check...the sound check started with them playing random riffs and phil calling the sound guy random names. they then played their song rehab from start to finish and sounded perfect, actually gave me chills. Then they played swan song which was cut alittle short, it was really cool because it was like a little private show just for the select few people who were there, and we got to hear them play songs they didnt play during the show. Pepper keenan walked around on the floor so everyone could watch him play up close, very cool. The band then went back stage and came back out to meet everyone. I got a signed copy of nola, and my picture taken with the band(which I sadly do not have yet). The guys were really cool, it was short and sweet but they deffinatly took the time to say hi to everyone and thank you for the support. meeting phil was very surreal for me. I felt like I was 14 again (not that im old now) he gave a hug and hand sake to everyone, and commented on my dimebag t-shirt. you could tell the band is very genuine and humble in the way they address their fans. After meeting the band you were asked to leave the building so they can continue preperations for the show.

After that kickass experience, I ventured outside to find my friends waiting for me, and we went back to the car to hang out before the show. While we were waiting we were surprised by the 2004 redsox team who were waiting just outside fenway park to make their entrance into the stadium. Apparently there was some sort of celebration for the 2004 team, so that was really cool being right there while they made their entrance(not a fan of baseball anymore but was still a nice little bonus, being right there next to them as they entered.)

when we finally made our way inside I went over and picked up a shirt from the down merch booth. They didnt really have much to choose from(was kinda surprised, always imagined they'd have more) but I did snag one shirt that I really liked. The place was completely dead and did no start to fill up until halfway through the first bands set. Haarp was the first band up from for the night, and if your a big fan of slow doom/sludge metal I highly recomend these guys. They sounded really good for what they are but I honestly felt it was too much(as far as how slow it was) I feel like if they had more groovy fast riffs id probably like them 10 times more, as it turns out I only remember two times out of their whole set that picked up so I got board after awhile, my add needed somthing alittle faster lol. Oddly enough the band that followed Haarp was much faster.

Haarp-6/10
Sorry I am unfamilure with their songs

Like I said the band that followed was the complete opposite of haarp. We went from incredibly slow paced music to incredibly fast past music. Im of course speaking of warbeast. I enjoyed this band much more than haarp. They are a thrash metal band that at times reminds me of gwars more thrashy/fast tempo songs. The place was getting pretty full by the time they went on. During their set some older dude got dragged out of the pit by security(I think for fighting) and lost his pants in the pants in the process, which was absolutely hilarious Anyways warbeast kicked some serious ass, and I wish I could have seen them open for gwar instead of ghoul.

Warbeast-8/10
Again I do not know their songs by heart(must change that), and could not find a setlist from the show

Now it was finally time for Down. I was more excited to see this band than iv been to see any band in a long time(mostly cause iv never seen a full headline set from them) they have been a favorite band of mine since high school, and iv been listening to them almost as long as pantera. I caught them for the 1st time back in may when I attended the rock on the range festival and their short but awesome set left me wanting more. Phil was easily one of the best frontman iv ever seen. He made the show feel like a family gathering rather than a concert, and treated the crowd like brothers rather than fans. He took his time transitioning from song to song, and addressed the crowd in a way that only he could. I like when bands interact with the crowd a little bit, but phil defiantly spoke far more than anyone iv seen before(which I dont mind because hes good at it) Kirk was right in front of me and was really fun to watch play. One of the main reasons I got into down was the bluesy/southern/sabbath esq style of riffs that they play, and those riffs sound amazing in a like setting. When the band came on stage phil said something along the lines of "oh and by the way we are recording live tonight" which got a thunderous response from the crowd. The sing alongs were actually really loud (thats awesome when you can hear the crowd singing over the band) and the pit looked like alot of fun although I made the choice to hang back with my girl/friends and have a couple drinks. We had rail up through the first couple down songs, but then chose to move back so we could get some drinks, and use the bathroom, and what not. During their break before the encore I bought a cd from warbeast, and had a semi drunk conversation with their singer. Very cool guy, he also commented on my dimebag shirt, and I was tellin him how rita(dimes girlfriend) sold it to me, so we talked about that briefly, amongst other things.

Down-10/10(I honestly think so,they nailed their songs)
This Is what I remember it may be out of order, and im pretty sure theres a song or two missing. Ill mark my personal highlights with the rocker icon.
Eyes of the South
Witchtripper
Open Coffins
Lysergik Funeral Procession
Lifer
Pillars of Eternity
Losing All
Ghosts Along the Mississippi
New Orleans Is a Dying Whore
Temptation's Wings
Misfortune Teller

Encore:
Stone the Crow
Bury Me in Smoke

By far one of the best concert experiences I personally have ever had, And I highly recommend seeing this band live. I can think of alot of tours id like to see them on, and bands Id like to see them play with, but I really hope they do another one of those evening with down tours with the really long set like they did in 07 I think it was, I defiantly wanna check that out if they do. They said it would take a little while, but if my picture with down gets poster anytime soon id defiantly like to post that on here.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:31 AM
MetalSetLists's Smartest Man

Glad you had an awesome time! Down is definitely one of my favorite shows of all time. I ended up having to miss them on the 29th in NJ. Still seething about it!
Old 10-01-2012, 10:39 AM
Remember - today is the first day of the end of your life

They really should cross the border sometime... There are tons of people here waiting for them.

http://www.last.fm/user/voidflame
Old 10-01-2012, 11:20 AM
Cowboy From Hell

Down is always a good time especially if you go vip. Glad you had fun!!!
Old 10-01-2012, 07:38 PM
"I Love Lamp"

Quote:
Originally Posted by imanidiot777 View Post
Glad you had an awesome time! Down is definitely one of my favorite shows of all time. I ended up having to miss them on the 29th in NJ. Still seething about it!
Ah that sucks man this was a hell of a show, they have been one of my favorite bands for a while, but never got a chance to see em till this year. Iv seen every band that i'm a huge fan of, for the most part, so it was really cool being able to see a band I love that iv never seen before. That show left me wanting more, and this show was like the perfect all around experience.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:38 PM
"I Love Lamp"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLVERINEKILLS View Post
Down is always a good time especially if you go vip. Glad you had fun!!!
You do a down vip before?
Old 10-02-2012, 03:43 AM
MetalSetLists's Smartest Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantera1115 View Post
You do a down vip before?
I did in April 2011 in Philly. It was an awesome time getting to meet those guys. It was very similar to what you described.

Tags
down