Nothing With You
Clean Sheets
All-O-Gistics
Get The Time
Thank You
Weinerschnitzel
Suburban Home
Descendents

The day as a whole was pretty meh; The Story So Far was fucking brilliant, Dropkick Murphy's were really fun, and Descendents were freakin' amazing, but other than that I was kinda bored. August Burns Red SUCKED HARD, terrible sound and everything. They seemed to have a good stage presence but I got bored watching. GWAR was like, being GWAR. Seen it before, whatever. Coheed and Cambria was pretty cool, but it was like the same set I saw back in 2010. Hot Water Music, A Wilhelm Scream, and the Gaslight Anthem were alright.

Descendents were so tight live, sounded awesome. I hoped for a bit more off Milo Goes to College or I Don't Want To Grow Up, but anything they played was awesome. Crazy crowd, especially for the old songs. For All-o-gistics, they brought out some kids that were related to the band members and had them list off the commandments of that song. Totally worth sittng around all day after The Story So Far! They had a couple shirts, and a sweatshirt that I got that had the Milo logo on the back. Great show.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:11 PM
Rats off to ya

Damn I wish I saw them in Williamsburg. Descendents cant really play a bad set but this set isn't perfect. I would be a little disappointed if I didn't get to hear Coolidge and Sour Grapes.

In all the Descendents sets I've seen it seems like they never play more than 2 songs from Cool To Be You. Why is that? It's probably their 3rd best behind the first 2. Why do they always play Van but ignore songs like Dreams and Tack?
Old 09-16-2012, 07:22 PM
I'm reaching out for something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd091 View Post
August Burns Red SUCKED HARD, terrible sound and everything. They seemed to have a good stage presence but I got bored watching. GWAR was like, being GWAR. Seen it before, whatever. Coheed and Cambria was pretty cool, but it was like the same set I saw back in 2010.
I only know Milo from Descendents, good album! Def agree with the GWAR comments after seeing em once I really don't see why I would see em again, there music is whatever. I'm surprised by ABR comment. Both times I've seen em they tore shit up and there was sooo much energy. Then again festivals are different settings. I've yet to see C&C in a proper headliner which is where I presume they shine. Nice review though!
Old 09-17-2012, 07:28 AM
THIS IS LHHC!

I guess I'm gonna do a bit of a review of the day, I'm a bit drunk, so bear with me. I meant to get there when it started to catch Fireworks, Of Mice & Men and The Adicts, but I ended up oversleeping by like two hours and arrived in the middle of The Story So Far's set. I only caught the last like four songs, but they were pretty good from what I caught, really energetic. By the way, all complete set lists are from setlist.fm and any partials are from my memory of it.

The Story So Far:

1.Daughters
2. Mt. Diablo
3. Swords and Pens
4. Four Years
5. 680 South
6. States and Minds
7. Roam
8. High Regard

After them I went to the stage GWAR was playing and waited for like five minutes for them to start and while GWAR was just being GWAR, I hadn't seen them in almost three years, so it was a completely different show than I remember and they had me thoroughly entertained and laughing throughout.

GWAR (partial):

Saddam a Go-Go
Jagermonsta
Maggots ?
Metal Metal Land
KZ Necromancer
Sick of You

After GWAR, I followed the sounds of breakdowns to the stage that August Burns Red was playing and watched like the last three songs of them and they actually surprised me at how good they sounded, contrary to what JD said. I thought they sounded really fucking heavy and the vocals were nearing death growls the whole set and the drum solo was pretty entertaining.

August Burns Red (partial):

White Washed (heard this song in-between GWAR songs )
Back Burner

After they were over I bought a bottle of water ($2, not too bad) and went over to watch Larry and His Flask. I'd never heard of them, but I heard they were pretty good and I was blown away! The band consisted of a drummer (with two snares and two cymbals), electric guitar, acoustic guitar, mandolin, banjo, stand-up bass and they played some folky music that boarded on barbershop at times. It was entertaining as hell. I left a few songs before they finished.

Larry and His Flask (partial):

Hobo's Lament

I left a few songs before they finished to go see Andrew W.K. and waited a few minutes for him to start. He really got the point across that he likes to party, but he was fun. I only stayed for four songs, but it was pretty good, the sound wasn't the best for him.

Andrew W.K.:

1. It's Time to Party
2. Take It Off
3. Ready to Die
4. She Is Beautiful
5. You Will Remember Tonight
6. Long Live the Party
7. I Get Wet
8. Party Hard
9. Head Bang

I left right after She Is Beautiful and waited for the band that I mainly payed to see, Teenage Bottlerocket. I waited like five minutes and then they blasted the almighty Slayer's Seasons in the Abyss over the loud speaker, then some guy in a costume came out and held up a sign with their logo on it. They promptly came out and busted right into Freak Out! and I just started rocking out. They played all of the songs that I wanted to hear except for Necrocomicon. They're one of my favorite bands right now and they were entertaining as all fuck and I can't wait till their headlining show in October.

Teenage Bottlerocket (partial):

Freak Out!
Mutilate Me
In the Pit
Cruising for Chicks
Skate or Die!
Bottlerocket
Blood Bath at Burger King
Headbanger

As I was walking out of Riot Fest after them I heard The Gaslight Anthem and they didn't sound too good, but whatever. I was on my way to see Accept and Kreator, so fuck them,
8/15 Dr. Shrinker
8/16 KISS
8/23 Midnight ?
8/29 Sleep
Old 09-17-2012, 08:44 AM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

$2 for a water? You overpaid, man, it was $1 everywhere I went!
Old 09-17-2012, 09:07 AM
THIS IS LHHC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd091 View Post
$2 for a water? You overpaid, man, it was $1 everywhere I went!
Dammit! I thought I got a bargain. I only saw two bucks or that drink ticket bullshit.
8/15 Dr. Shrinker
8/16 KISS
8/23 Midnight ?
8/29 Sleep
Old 09-17-2012, 10:49 AM
Rats off to ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalfitegrdan View Post
After them I went to the stage GWAR was playing and waited for like five minutes for them to start and while GWAR was just being GWAR, I hadn't seen them in almost three years, so it was a completely different show than I remember and they had me thoroughly entertained and laughing throughout.

GWAR (partial):

Saddam a Go-Go
Jagermonsta
Maggots ?
Metal Metal Land
KZ Necromancer
Sick of You
They still had just one guitarist right?
Old 09-17-2012, 11:55 AM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodoftheKings View Post
They still had just one guitarist right?
Yeah, just one
Old 09-19-2012, 08:37 AM
N00B

What the heck happened to Riot Fest?

Aside from Descendents, and MAYBE Dropkick, all those bands represent everything that Riot Fest was set out to be against.

Why would they have booked so many bands you can see at so many other major fests?

In previous years, they were able to get bands like Bad Brains, Zero Boys, Negative Approach, etc to reunite.

Why does every fest think the goal is to get bigger?
What's wrong with staying smaller and still being successful?
Old 09-19-2012, 08:45 AM
Some People Call Me The White Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonic View Post
What the heck happened to Riot Fest?

Aside from Descendents, and MAYBE Dropkick, all those bands represent everything that Riot Fest was set out to be against.

Why would they have booked so many bands you can see at so many other major fests?

In previous years, they were able to get bands like Bad Brains, Zero Boys, Negative Approach, etc to reunite.

Why does every fest think the goal is to get bigger?
What's wrong with staying smaller and still being successful?
They went from Riot Fest being a bunch of small shows into one big opener night show then a 2 day all day fest in a park.

Also the park isn't really even in a good neighborhood.

Tags
andrew wk, august burns red, descendents, gwar, teenage bottlerocket, the story so far