Mastodon -- Newcastle, England -- November 25th, 2014
Exodus -- West Springfield, VA -- November 25th, 2014
Bob Seger -- Saginaw, MI -- November 19th, 2014
Ace Frehley -- Uncasville, CT -- November 21st, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 09-14-2012, 11:07 AM
Cowboy From Hell

Down IV Part 1 The Purple EP review + stream

Here is my review of Down - IV: Part 1 The Purple EP with a link to hear the entire ep via stream

I am pleased with IV Part 1. Its heavy but probably not as heavy as the other 3 albums. Its darker, doomier, much more influenced by Saint Vitus, Trouble, Witchfinder General than the other albums. The lead guitar work is excellent. Its Kirk & Pepper doing their thing and thats always top of the line whether it be solos, riffs or songwriting. Pat's bass adds a new sound and shakes things up in a good way. The production is somewhat more like a demo or Nola & I like that. Philip doesn't scream much but his vocals are great and this might be his strongest performance on a Down album yet. Same for Bower as far as the drums are concerned.*

Levitation - Great song. Vitus influence is strong.
Witchtripper - Good song everyone has heard by now.
Open Coffins - Good groove, catchy song, a highlight.
Timeless - Much heavier & a bit different than the demo. Solid.
This Curse - Great song. A definite highlight.
Misfortune Teller - Another great song. Most have heard it by now but the youtube versions don't sound near as good as the EP.

Levitation, Coffins, Curse, Misfortune are the best tracks imo. Would love to hear them live on the upcoming tour. The entire EP was a bit different than what I expected but it has exceeded the high expectations that I had set. When it comes to good music Down never ceases to amaze me!!! They constantly raise the bar & set the standered for everyone else. The Purple EP is awesome, probably the best album I've bought this year along with the new Baroness album.*

http://m.billboard.com/entry/view/id...328d129d22d539
Old 09-14-2012, 12:01 PM
Lifeís swinging hard but Iím swinging harder.

Thank you sir been looking forward to this. Down is easily one of the best live bands out there. One of the best shows ever and when I witnessed Bury Me in Smoke/Nothing in Return/Jam session portion of that show I was in heaven, such a spectacle.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:42 PM
When your grabbing ass with your friends...

Love Levitation. I've only got to hear probably the first 2 all the way through. But my first thought was wow. This is a kick in the face. I love this. I'll be checkin out the rest of this after I get home.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:33 AM
MetalSetLists's Smartest Man

Just realized this thread was here, rarely check this part of the forum.

Phil's voice sounds really strong right now even though he isn't screaming much. The lyrics on this album are so dark. I think there is also a heavy Black Sabbath influence.

Every song on here is amazing. My favorite is Misfortune Teller by far, and as Wolverine said, the version on YouTube sounds like crap compared to the actual release. My least favorite is This Work Is Timeless, but it still isn't bad in any way.