Nile -- Baltimore, MD -- April 15th, 2014
Within Temptation -- Newcastle, England -- April 14th, 2014
Carcass -- Silver Spring, MD -- April 13th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 08-30-2012, 04:32 PM
PAAAAAAANTURRRUUUHHHHHH!! !!!!

Summer Slaughter -- Seattle, WA -- August 22nd, 2012

I am a week behind on posting this, but felt I'd share my gig report

I wasn't sure on whether or not to go to Summer Slaughter this year, I really only cared to see Cannibal Corpse, BTBAM, JFAC, Goatwhore, and Exhumed, but I knew I would miss Goatwhore and Exhumed due to work, and $30 was a bit steep of a price to pay just to see Cannibal Corpse and BTBAM (and to see why all my friends loved JFAC live). Throughout the day I exchanged text messages with my bassist about whether or not to go, and he eventually talked me into going!

I got off of work around 4:00pm and headed straight down to The Showbox Sodo... and boy oh boy... that was hell. First off, traffic during rush hour here is hell. Secondly, there was a watermain break right outside the venue, so the roads were fucked. And lastly, I had been having a very stressful week, so the drive alone was just a strain. I got to the venue, passed some prime parking, and raged. I was about to just head back home, until I took the wrong turn which ended up turning me right back toward the venue, so I said FUCK IT and went!

I walked into the venue only to hear the most generic, boring, uninspired Deathcore ever. I had no clue who it was, I figured it was Veil Of Maya, so I just hung out in the back and waited for their set to end. While waiting I got excited to see Job For A Cowboy, I am not a fan of their music, but having shared the stage with their drummer (1349) and hearing how fun they are live, I couldn't wait. The generic Deathcore band's set came to an end, and the singer said "Thank you! We are Job For A Cowboy!" . I facepalmed and thought, "Were my friends serious, or just trolling?" Either way, I had a good laugh after this, and someone in the crowd exclaimed "FUCK YEAH! TRUE METAL!!!" .... once again, serious or just trolling?

While waiting for more friends to show up I wandered around, and a random dude came up to me asking if I was "Johnthedrummer88 who does drum covers on YouTube", I felt amazed that some completely random dude would recognize me from videos I haven't done for a couple years! So that was cool

Up next was Veil of Maya, and my God, they sucked! My bassist finally got to the show, so we left and grabbed some sandwiches at Jimmy John's (gourmet my ass!). We finished eating and headed back to the venue to catcht the end of VOM, who still sounded like a bad Meshuggah rip off. My bassist shook his head and we headed to the bar.

After their set I sold some tickets to the Korpiklaani show and awaited The Faceless. Without going into too much detail, I have some personal beef with Michael, so I wasn't looking forward to them, plus I am not a fan of their music. To be honest, they were more enjoyable than I expected, still not my thing, I hate mostly all tech-death, but it was still better than the previous bands! As their set came to an end I notcied their bassist was wearing a PANTURRRUUUH shirt, ONE POINT FOR ME!

I tried to find a good spot for the band I was most excited to see, BETWEEN THE BURIED AND ME, but sadly couldn't get close at all, so I hung out in the back where I at least had a good view. During them setting up a guy walked into the bar rocking some Camo shorts.... a Pantera t-shirt... AND A RED BEARD!!!! I 'd hard.

Finally, after waiting.... BTBAM started, and every second of it was amazing. I have been dying to see them since listening to "Colors", and it was all I expected. The light show, the performance, the sound, the song selection, it couldn't have been any better! The set was the same as every other date, and it was absolutely mind blowing. They are definitely one of the best live bands I have ever seen. I felt very bummed when their set ended, I wanted it to keep going, but damnit, I was so glad that I finally got to see them!

And up next, the band who I have sadly NEVER seen in my entire life, Cannibal Corpse! They tour here a lot, my band has even opened for them (prior to me joining) yet I miss it everytime. As Cannibal took the stage... I was slightly disappointed. The sound was mushy as hell, the vocals were just horrendous, and they were not on beat for the first couple of songs (likely due to bad monitors), but hey, I was still finally seeing the legendary Cannibal Corpse! I had to leave halfway thru the set due to working the next day, and wasn't too happy with the songs I heard since a lot seemed to be newer material, which is good, but to me sounded a bit monotone live... OH WELL.

Anyway, I left, went home, and slept like a baby! As much as I complained and bitched in this review, Between The Buried and Me's set was well worth the $30 door price, and at least losing my Cannibal Corpse virginity was good too. I cannot wait for BTBAM to do a full on headlining tour, because I will be there NO QUESTIONS ASKED!

- Funeral Age
facebook.com/funeralageofficial
funeralage.bandcamp.com
Old 08-30-2012, 04:43 PM
Metal-Setlistcore

Job for a Cowboy isn't deathcore, but alright. Only their first EP is deathcore, and the only thing they play off it is an intro from one of those songs, then they cut into a different song.

Also personal beef with the Keene machine?

Other than that, good review.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:49 PM
It's fun to take a trip. Put acid in your veins.

Great review! Loved the JFaC comment - and congrats on the Pantera Game points!

What's the story about the dude from The Faceless?
5/3 - TDEP?
5/5 - Master?
5/12 - Nile
5/24 - Down OR Dax Riggs
7/15 - Motley Crue?
Old 08-30-2012, 05:48 PM
Now I am become Death. The destroyer of worlds.

I only watched like half of a JFAC song before I left to go get some food. They're such a boring band, just because they play death metal now doesn't mean their good. At least they don't play a thousand breakdowns per song like VoM does.

Even though I thought BTBAM were great, I actually didn't like the set all that much besides White Walls and Telos. It would have been a lot better if they took out Son of Nothing and put in a couple of shorter songs instead (All Bodies, Alaska, Mordecai, Decade of Statues, etc.). Listening to an entire set of 10+ minute songs in a row gets somewhat tiresome.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:33 PM
When your grabbing ass with your friends...

LAWL @ JFAC comment. As I read I was hoping it would end up being jfac. Just a dreadful band. Must have good management to continually get on these great tours.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:23 AM
N00B

i'll bite, what your beef with keene?
Old 08-31-2012, 05:02 AM
The time has come for all to see the men behind the curtain cast into disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alduin View Post
i'll bite, what your beef with keene?
This.

Also, I always find it weird when people complain about a $30 ticket price. That's like the norm around here, at least for the shows I go to.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:25 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by makethemsuffer12 View Post
This.

Also, I always find it weird when people complain about a $30 ticket price. That's like the norm around here, at least for the shows I go to.
Yeah 30 bucks isn't bad at all, especially for a 10 band package tour. Most shows I go to are in the 25-35 range.
7/22 Converge

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 08-31-2012, 05:39 AM
N00B

I don't get all the hate for JFAC in here - they are a pretty solid death metal band these days and their latest album was good. They always have good energy live and Jonny is a pretty cool guy.

I will also ask - what's the story with Keene?
04/24 - Nile
Old 08-31-2012, 06:12 AM
N00B

Lol for that job for a cowboy moment
3/6 Abigail Williams
3/17 Iron Maiden
3/26 Comeback Kid

Tags
between the buried and me, cannibal corpse, job for a cowboy, the faceless, veil of maya