Electric Light Orchestra -- London, England -- September 14th, 2014
Skeletonwitch -- West Springfield, VA -- September 12th, 2014
KISS -- Lake Oswego, OR -- September 14th, 2014
Richie Kotzen -- London, England -- September 16th, 2014

Old 06-08-2012, 06:08 AM
Remember - today is the first day of the end of your life

Voivod -- Montreal, Quebec -- June 7th, 2012

Venue: La Sala Rossa

This was my third time seeing Voivod and it was completely different from the other two. It was a very special Voivod concert. First, it took place in a pretty small venue (about 250 capacity) and it didn't have any advertisement, except for a subtle announcement on their facebook page. Thus, it was an intimate show for the diehard fans: some kind of gift to them for their support. Second, they played their classic album Dimension Hatröss in its entirety with no opener or whatsoever. There was no actual starting time for the show, so I got there for 9:00 pm, but they ended up starting about 45 minutes later. They took the stage to a wierd keyboard intro, with eerie red lightings and smoke effects, and then immediately dived into the first song of the album, "Experiment". To my surprise, the sound was flawless (it was not the case for Nasum at the same venue a few weeks ago). We could hear every guitar and bass note, and everything blended perfectly. Speaking of notes, Dan Mongrain did an incredible job on immitating Piggy's peculiar solos and licks. The bizarre visual ambiance I had witnessed in the intro continues throughout the whole set, thanks to the awesome job of the lights guy (again, the lights were exploited in a much better way than at the Nasum show). With some funny talking in between some of the songs by Snake, the band proceeded to perform every classic song from the album. My highlight was the strange thrasher "Psychic Vacuum", which was extremely heavy live. After finishing the apocalyptic last song of the record, "Cosmic Drama", the band recieved a thunder of applause of screams (well, they actually recieved these after each song).

Snake then mischievously asked the band "what should we play next?" Then, without a warning, they stormed into the over 17 minutes long prog epic "Jack Luminous" from the Outer Limits album. I have no idea if they ever played this live, but it was a hell of a trip!

After that, they went off stage, but were rapidly called back by the enthusiastic crowd. They then chose to offer us a new song from the upcoming record. The song was called "Target Earth" or "Target: Earth", and it sounded like a continuation of the Dimension Hatröss/Nothingface sound. It was impressive to see how Dan Mongrain had fully mastered Piggy's riffing and soloing style and even transformed it a bit to his own style. The solo was fucking shredtastic! To all the Voivod fans here: you're going to love the new album (which is done writing, by the way).

At last, they finished with their fantastic cover of Pink Floyd's "Astronomy Domine", endind the show on a high note. For me, the only letdown was that no song from the first three records were played, but like I said, this was no ordinary Voivod concert and it was a unique experience to witness.

Voivod

Experiment
Tribal Convictions
Chaosmöngers
Technocratic Manipulators
Macrosolutions to Megaproblems
Brain Scan
Psychic Vacuum
Cosmic Drama
Jack Luminous

-----------------------------------

Target Earth (new song)
Astronomy Domine (Pink Floyd cover)

http://www.last.fm/user/voidflame
Old 06-08-2012, 06:19 AM
Altars of Radness

Ugggghhhhhhhhh so awesome. Sucks they didn't play anything from the first three albums, but still. I really hope they keep Chaosmöngers for the Shockwave tour.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:24 AM
7 Holy Paths To Hell And Your Trip Begins...

sounds awesome

to bad I was not able to make it

Cheers !
PowerMaiden
Old 06-08-2012, 09:10 AM
N00B

They only come to Vancouver as openers... I would have paid anything to see them do that setlist!! Unfortunately, being willing to pay anything and being able to pay anything are somewhat different.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:14 AM
Play it loud, don't play it low

Jack Luminous?!?!?!

Awesome set list.

Please come back to Dallas. Haven't seen them since 2003.

Edit: just checked and they will be in Amityville, NY the week I'm going to be in Brooklyn. I may just have to make the drive.

Last edited by Blitzkrieg Witchcraft; 06-08-2012 at 09:22 AM.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:08 PM
N00B

Fuck I can't believe I ended up working and missing this last night

Sounds like a great evening
Old 06-08-2012, 02:33 PM
" Amps on Ten, Ears are Bleeding "

Jack Luminous................WOW!!
Old 06-08-2012, 03:41 PM
N00B

Voivod is awesome. Really glad their showing some longevity.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:14 AM
N00B

When I saw them in 1988 on the Dimension Hatross tour, they played the whole album except, inexplicably, Cosmic Drama. I'd review that show (I remember most of it), but I don't remember the exact date.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:58 PM
It's fun to take a trip. Put acid in your veins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zla Vydra View Post
When I saw them in 1988 on the Dimension Hatross tour, they played the whole album except, inexplicably, Cosmic Drama. I'd review that show (I remember most of it), but I don't remember the exact date.
If it was in Atlanta at Excelsior Mill with Vio-Lence, then the show took place on December 16th, 1988.
10/28 - Mike Watt
10/29 - Melvins
11/7 - 7 Seconds

Tags
voivod