Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Queen -- Columbia, MD -- July 20th, 2014
Deathwish Fest -- Cambridge, MA -- July 22nd, 2014
Queen -- Boston, MA -- July 22nd, 2014
Devourment -- Rochester, NY -- July 21st, 2014
Nine Inch Nails -- Morrison, CO -- July 21st, 2014

Old 03-03-2014, 06:59 PM
Smoke Satan, Worship Crack

Everybody should listen to Master of the Puppets for its 28th birthday today!
Old 03-04-2014, 01:29 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

It's nice that so many people missed the point in such long-winded ways. That's always fun to see

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
So which movies from earlier in the year deserved consideration in your opinion?
No idea, barely seen any 2013 movies yet. I don't go to the cinema anymore. That specific movies did or didn't get considered isn't my point.

The point is, if an award that claims to cover a whole year of activity is only every going to consider things released five minutes before the award itself, then there's no diluting of its importance to be done. It's already bullshit. Sure some studios hold back the movies they think are most award-worthy until the "right time" so that they'll be considered, but again, that's bullshit. If they've got to do that then the awards are already unimportant.

The Oscars should be important an relevant, but this situation makes them worthless.

But well done on the irony everyone, good job

20/7 Onslaught
30/7 King Diamond
1-2/8 BiesenRock Festival
3/8 Lokerse Festival

Last edited by ravenheart; 03-04-2014 at 01:33 AM.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:11 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Wow. Didn't know you'd take the relatively few comments so harshly...

Look - with all due respect, I think it's you who missed the point that El Gordo and I were trying to make (and in his defense, he wasn't being ironical or dickish at all). The fact that the films that were up for Best Picture were all released in the last three months of the year doesn't mean that nothing else was considered by the Academy. It simply means that, as you said, the studios tend to release the films that they think have the best shot at winning later in the year so that they are more current come Oscar time. That's a decision that the studios are making, not a failing on the part of the awards system or the frequency of giving them out. There were in fact no (or very few) truly Oscar-worthy movies released during the early part of the year. Like I said, the best ones were maybe "Zero Dark Thirty" or "Gangster Squad", but no way they were better than the final nominees, so I honestly just think you're seeing injustice where none exists.

EDIT: OK, now I get it. Your Maiden gig got fucked up and now you're on the rag today. Makes sense.

Last edited by Natrlhi; 03-04-2014 at 06:23 AM.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
Wow. Didn't know you'd take the relatively few comments so harshly...
Nah, just seemed worth explaining my irony, because no one appeared to get it. Everyone started giving serious answers to an ironic statement. I like to let that kind of thing play out for a while before explaining it, otherwise it spoils the fun

Quote:
The fact that the films that were up for Best Picture were all released in the last three months of the year doesn't mean that nothing else was considered by the Academy.
Actually, I think it does. After all, it's not like this is an isolated occurrence. They do the same thing every year. The only categories they go further back than October for are ones with much fewer releases, like animations and foreign language movies. As I said, it's nothing to do with thinking any particular movies from 2013 are being unjustly disregarded. They probably are, because there are such cases every year without fail, but I won't see most of those movies until later this year.

Quote:
That's a decision that the studios are making, not a failing on the part of the awards system or the frequency of giving them out.
It's a decision the studios are making BECAUSE of the short memories of the Academy. Chicken and egg.

Quote:
EDIT: OK, now I get it. Your Maiden gig got fucked up and now you're on the rag today. Makes sense.
Actually, that came after.

20/7 Onslaught
30/7 King Diamond
3/8 Lokerse Festival

Last edited by ravenheart; 03-04-2014 at 06:49 AM.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
It's a decision the studios are making BECAUSE of the short memories of the Academy. Chicken and egg.
I guess I look at it more pragmatically (and, I suppose, optimistically) than that. A great example is the following: I've been on the business development side of things for most of my career, and almost anyone will tell you that making the first presentation in a group of several bidders is always the worst position to be in - it's generally considered to be best if you're last in line (or at least close to it). It's just basic human psychology, nothing more.

Hey, don't get me wrong, the Academy has fucked up a lot of decisions in the past, so I'm not saying they're error free in terms of their track record by any means, I just don't think the system is broken in the exact same way that you do. Agree to disagree.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:26 AM

Quote:
almost anyone will tell you that making the first presentation in a group of several bidders is always the worst position to be in - it's generally considered to be best if you're last in line (or at least close to it)
Same goes for job interviews.

20/7 Onslaught
30/7 King Diamond
3/8 Lokerse Festival
Old 03-04-2014, 08:07 AM

Trying to resist buying 70 of shirts...

Iced Earth self-titled cover, Overkill Electric Age tour shirt, Celtic Frost logo, and a Nevermore design I've not seen before...

20/7 Onslaught
30/7 King Diamond
3/8 Lokerse Festival
Old 03-04-2014, 08:14 AM

Just what any of us needs...70 worth of [more black shirts].

Seriously, though - that CF logo one is tits.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:48 AM
I'm reaching out for something else.

Bro Zero Dark Thrity came out last year. I'd say Mud was an early 2013 release that should've been mentioned.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDoomsayerX View Post
Bro Zero Dark Thrity came out last year. I'd say Mud was an early 2013 release that should've been mentioned.
Technically, IMDB has it listed with a release date of 11 January 2013, but based on the way the Academy does things, it would have been considered a 2012 film for Oscar purposes only. So really, it was "on the cusp". Anyway, it doesn't change my main point, which was that there just wasn't anything truly Oscar-worthy that came out early in the year that got skipped. "Mud" was a damn fine film, but there's no way it could've beat the other films it would have been up against, and for that matter, McConaughey's performance in "Dallas Buyers Club" was far superior anyway, so what categories could it have actually won, realistically speaking?

All that aside, we had come to somewhat of an agreement in principle, so just shut the fuck up and don't get him started again.