Municipal Waste -- Echo Park, CA -- July 25th, 2014
Masked Intruder -- Kansas City, MO -- July 25th, 2014
Machine Head -- Springfield, MO -- July 25th, 2014
Downset -- Albany, NY -- July 24th, 2014
Megadeth -- Tolmin, Slovenia -- July 25th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 09-05-2012, 07:59 PM
Smoke Satan, Worship Crack

I'm about to head to a hipster bar called Piano Piano. They do karaoke on Wednesday nights. They have dueling pianos playing songs while people sing along. It's pretty cool, but too many hipsters.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:02 PM
Hagbard Celine, H.M., S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher View Post
It's pretty cool, but too many hipsters.
Smack one for us.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:35 PM
Happy birthday, darling. We love you very very very very very very much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crionics View Post
Loving college other than the fact that my roommate tries to "compete" with me socially whenever we are outside our room.
I hate when my friend does that.
3/15 Gogol Bordello
Old 09-06-2012, 04:12 AM
One who onions things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crionics View Post
Loving college other than the fact that my roommate tries to "compete" with me socially whenever we are outside our room.
Don't give him too much crap for it, it'll wear off. Everyone tries super hard to be what they wish they are in the first few weeks of school. Nerds are the first to try and find alcohol, the classic girl who says "oh, I really don't party a whole lot" and proceeds to join a sorority and go bonkers, and guys who weren't super popular in high school trying to reinvent themselves as the coolest dudes around. I was no better, I spent the first couple of weeks obsessing over texting and being more social that I came off as a total weirdo. You're gonna find out the way everyone you hang out with really is soon enough, and hopefully you'll be pleasantly surprised. As cheesy as it sounds, trying to act like someone you're not will certainly fail in college, and being yourself and taking pride in who you are will make for an amazing experience.

My roommate situation was kind of funny in retrospect. The three of us were all extremely different people with very different interests, personalities, values and lives. One of them is now one of my best friends and let's just say I don't plan on seeing the other guy any time soon haha.
Impaled (?) - 8/15
Sleep - 8/30
Swans - 9/10
King Diamond - 10/31
Old 09-06-2012, 05:18 AM
Meh.

Bandcamp is kicking my ass. This is what I get for being a lazy prick all summer.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onioner View Post
Don't give him too much crap for it, it'll wear off. Everyone tries super hard to be what they wish they are in the first few weeks of school. Nerds are the first to try and find alcohol, the classic girl who says "oh, I really don't party a whole lot" and proceeds to join a sorority and go bonkers, and guys who weren't super popular in high school trying to reinvent themselves as the coolest dudes around. I was no better, I spent the first couple of weeks obsessing over texting and being more social that I came off as a total weirdo. You're gonna find out the way everyone you hang out with really is soon enough, and hopefully you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Precisely why I went to a community college for two years before transferring, to avoid just that. No dorms, no drama, no having to socially interact with these people. I've seen too many friends over the years change once they get to college, and become someone they weren't, or at least someone they never used to be, and I never wanted to be apart of that.

EDIT: I quite seriously lost one of my best childhood friends to exactly what you described. For some kids it's a phase they grow out of in a week or two, for others it's not.

Last edited by illuminatus917; 09-06-2012 at 11:51 AM.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:15 PM
One who onions things

Quote:
Originally Posted by illuminatus917 View Post
EDIT: I quite seriously lost one of my best childhood friends to exactly what you described. For some kids it's a phase they grow out of in a week or two, for others it's not.
Shit dude, that really sucks. Plenty of my friends changed, but all my really close friends either didn't go to college or went to community college so that problem didn't affect me too much. I feel like those people who did change though genuinely we're like that on the inside and were now given a place to be that person. In the case of myself and everyone else I knew who were weird for the first few weeks, it was like we were ashamed of who really were so we tried to reinvent ourselves, but we just figured fuck it and started acting "normal" for whatever reason- that's how I felt anyway.

Well, I should have qualified what I said by saying it also depends on the environment that those kids are in. Like if some kid who desperately wanted to be "cooler" or whatever the hell joins a frat, then they'll be encouraged to act the way they aren't until they just become that way. I got lucky I guess, I became tighter with my friends at college the more we found out about each other and the more our personalities came out. I guess that's why college has been such an amazing experience on my end, it's the first time I've ever been so socially rewarded for being myself, despite being such a weird fucking dude haha.
Impaled (?) - 8/15
Sleep - 8/30
Swans - 9/10
King Diamond - 10/31
Old 09-06-2012, 12:23 PM
I'm reaching out for something else.

Coheed and Cambria are gonna play an intimate show in LA tix go onsale tomorrow but I dont have cash to buy one
Old 09-06-2012, 12:25 PM
Smoke Satan, Worship Crack

I'm going to work out for a bit, then pick my girlfriend up and head to the fair. I guess its free to get in today with a slightly used book.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onioner View Post
Shit dude, that really sucks. Plenty of my friends changed, but all my really close friends either didn't go to college or went to community college so that problem didn't affect me too much. I feel like those people who did change though genuinely we're like that on the inside and were now given a place to be that person. In the case of myself and everyone else I knew who were weird for the first few weeks, it was like we were ashamed of who really were so we tried to reinvent ourselves, but we just figured fuck it and started acting "normal" for whatever reason- that's how I felt anyway.
Actually, all the friends I had that went to a university straight out of high school changed in some way, and none for the better. Some more so than others. The more impressionable the person is, the worse the effect is.

All the friends I had that went to the community college, and no further than that, not only are the same wonderful people today that they always were, but I'm still actually friends with them.

I've grown to despise "collegeitis" for the plague that it is - it's changed the lives of a lot of people I used to care about, unfortunately.

On an upbeat note... the new Baroness album . I can't stop listening to it. The green side is a piece of goddamn artwork. I've actually grown to like it as much as the Blue Record, which, quite frankly, blows my fucking mind.