Deceased -- Cudahy, WI -- April 25, 2015
Nonpoint -- Jacksonville, FL -- April 24th, 2015
The Body -- Gainesville, FL -- April 22nd, 2015
Incantation -- Brooklyn, NY -- April 24th, 2015
The Who -- Duluth, GA -- April 23rd, 2015

Old 04-13-2015, 11:59 PM
with his arms outstretched

In tribute to Peter Steele

‎In tribute to Peter Steele (January 4th, 1962- April 14th, 2010)

I was going to do one of my much-loved "History of" threads to commemorate today (I even had it written it last year but decided to hold off until this year) but I'm not feeling it right now.

So anyway, today (April 14th, 2015) marks the five-year anniversary of the passing of the great Peter Steele. I don't really idolize anyone or consider anyone a "hero". His life and mine paralleled each other in no way whatsoever. I guess we both share a common morbid, self-deprecating sense of humour. So I can’t say why I feel this attachment I feel for him. Peter Steele was a man that (despite never meeting) I loved.

I first heard him via Type O Negative in summer 1995. I was listening to a show on the radio called "Cover to Cover" where they'd pay an original version of a song then a cover of said song. So they played Black Sabbath by Black Sabbath, followed by Type O Negatives version from the 1994 cover album Nativity in Black. I was and still am a fan of Black Sabbath but I couldn't believe how weak and tinny their version sounded next to Type O Negatives. Needless to say I went out the next day and bought that Black Sabbath cover album and within a few weeks everything else Type O Negative had out.

Throughout all of highschool Type O Negative were my favorite band. As time went on they did fade from my mind because they took so damn long between albums. But then they'd come back, blow me away again and I'd be remembered why I loved them so much. I speak highly of the band but it was all about Peter, really. Without Peter there could not have been Type O Negative. I was able to get into his other work with Carnivore but unfortunately after he'd passed away. I was only able to see him live twice with Type O Negative (here and here).

What breaks my heart most about Peters passing is how it happened. He was such and impressive, imposing man. The last few interviews I saw with him he was (to put it bluntly) a wreck. He looked sick. His face was sunken, his hair was a mess and his teeth were decaying. He'd had many documented battles with drugs and alcohol over his life and to see the effects they'd had on him is a sad picture of why you should try to keep your life clean. And seeing his struggles with substance abuse literally eat his life away was terrible.

I'd be lying if I said I think of him everyday because I honestly don't. He pops in here and there. The last few months I've been thinking of him a lot because I knew this day was coming. But whenever I hear a song of his or see a picture of him it hits me and it hits me really fucking hard.

I can't believe he's gone.

R.I.P. Peter

Type O Negative - Haunted

Type O Negative - Burnt Flowers Fallen

Type O Negative - Gravitational Constant: G = 6.67 x 10-8 cm-3 gm-1 sec-2

Type O Negative - She Burned Me Down

‎Type O Negative - Love You to Death
07/06 -- U2
08/07 -- Faith No More
08/22 -- Motley Crue
10/03 -- Origin

Last edited by adamclark52; 04-14-2015 at 12:48 AM.
Old 04-14-2015, 04:06 PM
Welcome To My Nightmare...

Peter Steele is one of the strangest characters I've ever heard of, but I also think he's somewhat of a genius. I'm not a TON fan, but Carnivore has some music that really makes you think.
5/28 - Sepultura, Destruction
6/20 - Bolt Thrower, Razor
Old 04-14-2015, 04:28 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Still upset. I've only grown to love Type O Negative and Carnivore in the years since his death.
3/17 - New Found Glory
4/7 - Weedeater
Old 04-14-2015, 04:52 PM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Such a shame. Lord Petrus was one of the greats. RIP.
Old 04-15-2015, 11:22 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
I've only grown to love Carnivore in the years since his death.
This.
Old 04-15-2015, 03:35 PM
Concert Veteran

If it wasn't for Dio's death a month later, Peter Steele's death would have been the biggest musical loss for me personally. When I read that he died, my reaction was "fuck no, not him" which is the first time I ever felt that way about a musicians death. I even shed a few tears for him after it happened. It's strange, I never knew this person, yet his music had such an impact on me that I cried for him when he was gone. It really shows you how some artists can leave such a huge impression on you through the power of their music.

My first exposure to Type O Negative was around the time Bloody Kisses was released and I saw them open for Motley Crue. King's X was the other opener, talk about an awkward lineup. Anyways, my friend and I left the show more impressed with Type O than with Motley. We both got Bloody Kisses after that and the rest is history for me. I've been a huge fan ever since then and they were one of the few openers I ever saw that blew me away live. There was just something so unique about the songwriting, Pete's voice and their presence. I knew I was seeing something special that day.

I know Pete and the rest of the band liked to make self deprecating jokes about how they weren't anything special and how useless they thought they were. But I wonder if Pete ever really knew the impact his music had on so many fans all over the world. Peter Steele is one of the great ones and him not being here with us anymore is one of the biggest blows ever to the metal world.

RIP Peter Steele, you are still missed by so many.
Old 04-16-2015, 10:24 AM

I've never been able to really find the words to describe the way I feel since Peters passing. The easiest way to say it is "Peter is my Dio". The outpouring of emotion that people had for Dio; I feel that way for Peter.
07/06 -- U2
08/07 -- Faith No More
08/22 -- Motley Crue
10/03 -- Origin
Old 04-16-2015, 01:17 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

You're so cute when you're all blubbery and emotional.
Old 04-16-2015, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
Ahem...eat me.
07/06 -- U2
08/07 -- Faith No More
08/22 -- Motley Crue
10/03 -- Origin
Old 04-16-2015, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
So, is your wife going to let you go to Bolt Thrower?
07/06 -- U2
08/07 -- Faith No More
08/22 -- Motley Crue
10/03 -- Origin