Queen - Atlantic City, NJ -- July 26th, 2014
Touche Amore -- Lawrence, KS -- July 27th, 2014
Machine Head -- Toledo, OH -- July 18th, 2014
MayhemFest -- Clarkston, MI -- July 17th, 2014
Winger -- Portland, ME -- July 26th, 2014

Old 08-13-2012, 11:35 AM
N00B

Opeth

Hey, everyone, I'm new to these forums and new to metal in general. Up until recently, my genre of choice would have been more toward a milder side of rock/alternative (such as Foo Fighters, Chili Peppers, Linkin Park, Stone Temple Pilots, etc.), but metal and heavy rock really has grown on me recently. Some of my favorite metal bands include Disturbed, Five Finger Death Punch, A7X, Slipknot and, of course, the classic Metal bands such as Metallica, Megadeath and Iron Maiden. I'm also a huge fan of Tool, but I'm fairly certain they wouldn't be considered metal. However, while browsing these forums, I've read a lot about a band called Opeth. Metal fans seem to love them; in fact, I've heard someone refer to them as the "Tool of metal" once. Like I said, I'm fairly new to this genre, so don't crucify me for not knowing about them, but I was wondering if you guys could tell me more about Opeth. What do they sound like? Why all the hype? Based on the bands of choice that I have listed, d'you think I'll like them? Thank you, guys. I look forward to talking with all of you in the future about our favorite bands and upcoming concerts. Who knows, maybe we'll run into each other one day at a show, and not even know it.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:00 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Welcome to the forums!

For future reference, this particular forum (Misinformation and Propaganda) is only reserved for posting of metal news, like tour announcements, new album announcements, etc. Since it's your first post, it should be okay.

As far as Opeth goes, they are a really popular band. I remember them being one of the bands I saw on t-shirts everywhere. They play progressive metal. I would say their earlier stuff is a bit more like progressive death metal (although much more progressive than death), but their later stuff is almost exclusively progressive metal. In fact, their latest album has no harsh vocals at all and is more akin to a progressive rock album than anything.

I would say check out Blackwater Park. That's kind of their classic album. You can definitely explore from there.
08/07 - Handguns (?)
08/15 - Whores
Old 08-13-2012, 12:19 PM
It's fun to take a trip. Put acid in your veins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLovesMetal View Post
Hey, everyone, I'm new to these forums and new to metal in general. Up until recently, my genre of choice would have been more toward a milder side of rock/alternative (such as Foo Fighters, Chili Peppers, Linkin Park, Stone Temple Pilots, etc.), but metal and heavy rock really has grown on me recently. Some of my favorite metal bands include Disturbed, Five Finger Death Punch, A7X, Slipknot and, of course, the classic Metal bands such as Metallica, Megadeath and Iron Maiden. I'm also a huge fan of Tool, but I'm fairly certain they wouldn't be considered metal. However, while browsing these forums, I've read a lot about a band called Opeth. Metal fans seem to love them; in fact, I've heard someone refer to them as the "Tool of metal" once. Like I said, I'm fairly new to this genre, so don't crucify me for not knowing about them, but I was wondering if you guys could tell me more about Opeth. What do they sound like? Why all the hype? Based on the bands of choice that I have listed, d'you think I'll like them? Thank you, guys. I look forward to talking with all of you in the future about our favorite bands and upcoming concerts. Who knows, maybe we'll run into each other one day at a show, and not even know it.
Honestly, since mankvill covered a lot of the basics about Opeth, I'd just say this:

Start with either Still Life or Blackwater Park, and if you liked them, move to Ghost Reveries and either Damnation or Deliverance for softer or harder music, respectively. From then on, I'd approach the albums in whatever order.

I have seen some Opeth fans not like Orchid or Morningrise, however that's completely a "your mileage may vary" thing. Heritage also gets a bit of hate due to the lack of anything heavy on the album (it's around the same level of "heavy" as Rainbow, if that makes any sense to you), but again, it's all a matter of opinion.

I really hope this helps you out. Welcome to the forum!
7/1 - Cannibal Corpse
7/15 - Motley Crue?
7/26 - Summer Slaughter
Old 08-13-2012, 01:18 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Another prog metal band you might want to check out is Dream Theater. I'd say Images And Words is a good place to start with them, but I quite like the album Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence too.
08/07 - Handguns (?)
08/15 - Whores
Old 08-13-2012, 01:25 PM
Cowboy From Hell

I love Heritage and Damnation. I am fan of Opeth's rock/mellow stuff but not so much a fan of the earlier death metal style. Alot of people like the heavier stuff so I recommend you check both out. Blackwater Park, Damnation and Heritage almost sound like 3 completely different bands.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:44 PM
Happy birthday, darling. We love you very very very very very very much

Welcome to the board! Opeth are definitely one of my top five favorite bands, but though I acknowledge that their first albums (Orchid - My Arms, Your Hearse) are excellent, I've never really gotten into them. Personally, I'd start with Deliverance, Ghost Reveries, and Blackwater Park.
3/15 Gogol Bordello
Old 08-13-2012, 10:39 PM
N00B

Great! Thanks so much for all the helpful input. I think I am going to start off by listening to some of their "milder" stuff first, which would be Ghost Reveries, Heritage, and Blackwater Park according to you guys, right?

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum, by the way.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:56 PM
It's fun to take a trip. Put acid in your veins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLovesMetal View Post
Great! Thanks so much for all the helpful input. I think I am going to start off by listening to some of their "milder" stuff first, which would be Ghost Reveries, Heritage, and Blackwater Park according to you guys, right?

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum, by the way.
Heritage, yes. Blackwater Park and Ghost Reveries, no. Start off with Heritage and Damnation (try Folklore and Windowpane from those albums, respectively).
7/1 - Cannibal Corpse
7/15 - Motley Crue?
7/26 - Summer Slaughter
Old 08-13-2012, 11:08 PM
N00B

RampinUp, thank you.

Sometimes, when I am in the process of discovering new bands, I feel like it can initially be overwhelming at first. I never know where to start, especially with a band like Opeth that has been around for so long (I googled them, and they've been around since 1990 and released TEN albums). Also, from the way you describe them, they seem to have all sorts of diverse and assorted sounds and styles; sifting through all their material should be fun. Like I said, it's just difficult to decide where to begin.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:20 AM
Venom

Dude, just start off with the most badass record.

That being the first with Orchid! And if you don't like that, you can always go to their most experimental record and check out Heritage.

You can't go wrong with any of them though.