Ceremonial Castings -- Seattle, WA -- July 7th, 2014
Flotsam and Jetsam -- West Hollywood, CA -- July 9th, 2014
King Buzzo -- Dover, NH -- July 9th, 2014
Slash -- Hampton Beach, NH -- July 9th, 2014

Old 08-04-2012, 08:44 AM
N00B

Helmet -- Jacksonville, FL -- July 24th, 2012

Venue: Jackrabbits

Love this venue. Pretty much a dive with a capacity of only 300, but I love seeing national acts in such small places. Jackrabbits gets their fair share of such shows. It’s actually where Exodus has played their last two times here in Jax. The sound is surprisingly good. Much better than you would probably expect when you first walk in the door.

This was the second show in Jacksonville for Helmet in the last nine months. An awesome treat for a fan who hadn’t seen them since 1995. Last October they headlined at a place called The Pit, which wasn’t much bigger than Jackrabbits and has actually since closed as the owner has recently taken over a bigger club here in town, which should be great for the city and help bring in more higher profile groups along the lines of Lamb of God.

Anyway, about the show. Helmet was tight as hell, which is to be expected any time they go onstage. Page has said before that he would retire before he would ever go onstage only able to play half-ass, and it certainly shows. He’s a consummate professional who plays his ass off no matter the venue size. Super cool too. I was able to talk to him for a good ten minutes after the show last October and what a great guy he is. No such luck for me this time around unfortunately. Thanks to the venue size though, I was able to get a spot right at the stage, literally three feet in front of him, my favorite way to see shows. The setlist was as follows:

1. Swallowing Everything
2. So Long
3. In Person
4. White City
5. Vaccination
6. Unwound
7. Wilma’s Rainbow
8. Overrated
9. FBLA
10. Welcome to Algiers
11. Impressionable
12. She’s Lost
13. See You Dead
14. Ironhead
15. Unsung

As I stated before, they were certainly on their game and absolutely killed it onstage. One thing that they do is change up their setlist from night to night. This one was definitely different from the ones that I read from both Pensacola and New Orleans. I have great respect for groups who do that. They’re certainly doing things on their own terms. The downside is that you might not get a couple of great songs that you would expect to hear. I really wanted to hear them play “In The Meantime”, as they didn’t play it last October either. The guy next to me was yelling for “Milquetoast” as well. At least they did play that one last time. That would be my only disappointment, but not enough of one to put a damper on the show. Well actually I was a little disappointed to not be able to chat with Page again, but not really surprised. I figured he might not be hanging around the side of the stage this time since the Toadies were still yet to play.

I did hang around for the Toadies as well. I’m not as familiar with them as Helmet but I do know that they played Heel, I Come from the Water, Song I Hate, Possum Kingdom, and Tyler, which is my favorite song of theirs. They were very good and had the crowd really into it. Not going to try to post a whole setlist for them but pretty sure it stays about the same from night to night. So whatever setlists there are out there for them is pretty much what they played.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:59 AM
When your grabbing ass with your friends...

Alright another Helmet fan!!!! They are my favorite band. Looks like they changed it up a little from what I read on setlist.fm. Everything else I'm ok w/ hearing, hopefully they throw back in Blacktop & Pure like they were doing last month. But they did alot of stuff I haven't seen them do in awhile.

You are dead on about Page being a cool and nice guy. I've got to talk to him twice and he's one of the best people to talk to. I'll be hitting up the fall portion of this tour in Fayetteville in November.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:20 AM
N00B

Cool. I actually just replied to your post about the New Orleans show.

Yeah. It's great to have them back on the road on what looks like a pretty regular basis. I'm hoping they keep it going for a good while. Page had said before that it is a physical grind and he wasn't sure how long he'd be able to keep it up. That's when he said he wouldn't ever want to "half-ass" it. He is still going STRONG for sure though.

No doubt, he is cool as hell. Really enjoyed talking to him in October.

I'm a little surprised that they get pretty much no love on this website. Maybe I shouldn't be. I suppose most of the posters here are pretty young. He deserves a lot more credit than he gets though. He's an icon in my book.

Have a great time at the show. Hope you get the songs you want. Looking forward to seeing the setlist.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:36 AM
N00B

Just noticed your location. You a Clutch fan too? Fuckin awesome!!

Got to see them last year out at Jax Beach. GREAT fucking show.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:01 AM
From beyond beyond the thunder dome

That's awesome they played Unwound, definitely my favorite off of Size Matters. Sadly I'm still waiting for the tour where they bring back Born Annoying.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:02 AM
When your grabbing ass with your friends...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
Cool. I actually just replied to your post about the New Orleans show.

Yeah. It's great to have them back on the road on what looks like a pretty regular basis. I'm hoping they keep it going for a good while. Page had said before that it is a physical grind and he wasn't sure how long he'd be able to keep it up. That's when he said he wouldn't ever want to "half-ass" it. He is still going STRONG for sure though.

No doubt, he is cool as hell. Really enjoyed talking to him in October.

I'm a little surprised that they get pretty much no love on this website. Maybe I shouldn't be. I suppose most of the posters here are pretty young. He deserves a lot more credit than he gets though. He's an icon in my book.

Have a great time at the show. Hope you get the songs you want. Looking forward to seeing the setlist.
Yea. Not a ton of love on this site but I'll always post about them on here. I'm hoping to get a few songs I haven't got before. I'd like to hear the title track off Seeing Eye Dog. They don't seem to do that song for some reason. Also there's a few off Aftertaste I'd like to hear. The main one would be getting Street Crab. One of my faves.

EDIT:
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/helmet...a-3dce173.html Holy shit this is exactly the songs off Aftertaste that I want.

Last edited by 300%_Density; 08-04-2012 at 11:04 AM.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:08 PM
N00B

Yeah and they got Pure and Blacktop back on there too. Definitely some hope for you. I love Exactly What You Wanted but would also love to hear Broadcast Emotion and High Visibility.

I see that in NYC they led off with Sinatra. That's awesome. Then played Bad Mood and Blacktop also. As far as Strap It On goes I'd love to hear Rude as well. They're definitely mixing it up. The Pensacola show was pretty Aftertaste heavy. I believe they played five from it there.

Totally agree about Seeing Eye Dog. They don't seem to be playing it at all and it's my favorite song on the CD.

Tags
helmet