Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Queen -- Columbia, MD -- July 20th, 2014
Deathwish Fest -- Cambridge, MA -- July 22nd, 2014
Queen -- Boston, MA -- July 22nd, 2014
Devourment -- Rochester, NY -- July 21st, 2014
Nine Inch Nails -- Morrison, CO -- July 21st, 2014

Old 07-20-2012, 05:53 AM
It's fun to take a trip. Put acid in your veins.

Tenacious D -- Austin, TX -- July 19th, 2012

I arrived at the Austin Music Hall with a print-out pass I scored on Craigslist the day before for Tenacious D's sold out show around 6:30; the venue opened at 6:00, but rush hour traffic...fucked me from getting there early enough. Luckily I got in without missing any of the bands.

I went to the merch table after verifying that I had a floor ticket - something I found strange, since when I went for Dethklok/Mastodon in 2009, the entire venue was general admission...I think. I dunno, I was able to walk between balcony and floor when I damn well pleased. Anyway, I bought a shirt (Dawn of the D) for $25, and the cum rag for $10. While waiting in line, The Sights went onstage and played a pretty decent set. I don't remember all that much about them, except thinking that the lead singer was Kurt Cobain for a second (...no, really)

I'm assuming their set was the same as this one from Setlist FM, so...

The Sights

How Do You Sleep
Prayer
Could Not
Pretty
Robbed
Sticks
Anything
Rock n Roll Circus
Left
Fool

After The Sights went offstage, the roadies for Tenacious D went to go set up their shit...to cheers. I shit you not, every time they checked the drums, they got cheers. Every time they laid out a towel - "YEAH!! D, D, D!!".

...Whoever was doing the guitar soundcheck played the first five seconds of "Manifest Destiny", leading to a couple of "Tenacious DRI" jokes around me.

Anyway, after that bit, the D finally went onstage and kicked the shit out of Austin. They acknowledged the fact that they played in the AMH before, but "it was a different building...they had to tear it down and rebuild it because we rocked it too hard". The band went through their songs and had a little bit of comedy in between. The audience knew every word to every song, every motion (I saw some girls making the "gargle mayonnaise" motion during Beelzeboss), hell, the audience even started singing Kielbasa when the band themselves were still doing the intro. To introduce Beelzeboss, the band noticed that the guitarist seemed to be catatonic and "posessed by Satan", during "Double Team", the band had their own bass, guitar, and drum solos, and during their medley of The Who, Jack said "For those who don't know, that is the next rock opera me and Kyle were making up...and for those who do know, those were Who covers."

Right before the encore, the phoenix at the back of the stage bent over and shot confetti bearing the images of Kyle and Jack in sperm form out of the tip of its head. God, when the band went through "Fuck Her Gently", I kept trying to sing along, but couldn't stop laughing my ass off.

After the show, I tried to stick around for something from the band, but was shit out of luck...and since my ride wasn't there, I wound up going over to 6th Street to wander around (if anyone was at the show, I was the dude in the Motorhead shirt taking off in a pedicab and throwing the horns) until my ride was in the area.

Overall, this was a fun show. I really hope these guys tour again soon.

Tenacious D

Rize of the Fenix
Low Hangin' Fruit
Seņorita
Deth Starr
Roadie
Throw Down
Kielbasa
Kickapoo
Dude (I Totally Miss You)
Kyle Quit the Band
Friendship
Wonderboy
The Metal
Beelzeboss (The Final Showdown)
The Who Medley (Pinball Wizard, Listening to You, There's a Doctor, The Mirror)
Tribute
Double Team
------------
Baby
Star Trek Theme
Fuck Her Gently
7/1 - Cannibal Corpse
7/15 - Motley Crue?
7/26 - Summer Slaughter

Last edited by RampinUp46; 07-20-2012 at 08:31 AM.

Tags
tenacious d, the sights