12. The Clairvoyant
Fear Of The Dark
Iron Maiden
------
Aces High
The Evil That Men Do
Running Free
Old 07-14-2012, 06:18 AM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Great show. Maiden sounded fantastic, although they seemed a little off for the first maybe three songs. Cooper was good but I'm not really a fan. I can't comment on how the crowd was up front since I was way back in the lawns, but everyone was loving the show up there!
Old 07-14-2012, 08:49 AM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
Great show. Maiden sounded fantastic, although they seemed a little off for the first maybe three songs. Cooper was good but I'm not really a fan. I can't comment on how the crowd was up front since I was way back in the lawns, but everyone was loving the show up there!
The crowd was great up front to. I was in section 203 and everyone was loving every second of it. The people in the pit were very into it from what I could see. Powermaiden was down there so i'm sure he'll chime in at some point and tell us exactly how that was. But the crowd has very loud and had some really great singalong moments during Can I Play With Madness, Prisoner, 2 Mins, Trooper, Beast, Hills, Wasted Years and Aces High. Anyone who bitches about Maiden playing some of the old songs all the time needs to shut up. All you need to do is hear the unbelievable reactions they get from the crowd and you'll know exactly why certain songs are mainstays in the set.

Cooper was very good as usual and most of the crowd was into his set. If you've seen his tour over the last year or so, it was just that only a shorter version of it. He brought out the snake during No More Mr. Nice Guy and he still has the giant Cooper Frankenstein come out during Feed My Frankenstein, along with him getting decapitated by the guillotine at the end of Wicked Young Man. So, he didn't hold back on his stage show just because he was the opener. On a side note, the more I see Orianthi play in Cooper's band, the sexier she's becoming to me

Maiden was fantastic, there's really no other word to describe it. Bruce seems to have more energy as he gets older. I'm not sure how that's possible but that's exactly the way it is. He was a madman on stage, running around, singing and keeping the crowd going the whole time. He spent more time on the walk way that went along the back of the stage than i've seen him do before. Which probably isn't a bad idea since there's four other guys on the stage and it gives Bruce more room to move around and not run into anybody. Everyone esle in the band was great to, except for Jannick. Since Adrian's come back I haven't been able to tell what Jannick brings to the band at all? When you see them live he just doesn't look like he brings anything to the table. Does he even play anything? It doesn't seem like that to me. I know he's friends with Bruce and that's how he got the job and that's probably why he keeps it though.

Highlights of the show for me were Moonchild, The Prisoner, 2 Mins To Midnight, Wasted Years, 7th Son, Claivoyant and Aces High. There were a lot of pyros and from where I was, at least four or five hundered feet from the stage, oh wait this was in Canada so it was about 150 meters away you could really feel the heat from them. I can't imagine how hot it was on stage. The "Prophet Eddie" during 7th Son was awesome and one of the best live visuals i've ever seen. The same with the Eddie that came out during Iron Maiden which is exactly like the one on the cover of the 7th Son album. Next for me is the show here on Monday where i'll be in the pit. This show completely floored me and I wasn't even that close to the stage. I can't imagine how great this is gonna be from the pit. This show here is easily towards the top on my all time facorites list. The show on Monday might end up taking the top spot.

Last edited by Sanitarium78; 07-14-2012 at 08:52 AM.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:38 PM
Like a chupacabra, but with dicks

I was in the upper tier of seats at Montreal and I could feel the heat from the pyro all the way up there.
Old 07-14-2012, 03:14 PM
Welcome To My Nightmare...

Definitely a great show and I thought both Alice and Maiden got better as the night went on. The highlight was definitely Seventh Son of a Seventh Son. Even though I'd never heard even the classics live, Seventh Son just couldn't be beat. In fact, I'd say from that song up until the encore was one of the best runs of songs I've ever seen.

I was a little disappointed with the venue. Even though I was closer than I thought I would be, it was hard to concentrate during Alice with people still filing in and servers standing directly in front of me. Also, it's tough to go from the second row (last time I saw Alice) to extremely far away.

Also, that was my first time I could test out my new custom earplugs and they were amazing. My ears have never felt so good after a show. The sound was definitely off, but I'm not so sure that was because of the ear plugs.
Old 07-14-2012, 04:20 PM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerslave_85 View Post
I was in the upper tier of seats at Montreal and I could feel the heat from the pyro all the way up there.
DAMN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiner202 View Post
Definitely a great show and I thought both Alice and Maiden got better as the night went on. The highlight was definitely Seventh Son of a Seventh Son. Even though I'd never heard even the classics live, Seventh Son just couldn't be beat. In fact, I'd say from that song up until the encore was one of the best runs of songs I've ever seen.

I was a little disappointed with the venue. Even though I was closer than I thought I would be, it was hard to concentrate during Alice with people still filing in and servers standing directly in front of me. Also, it's tough to go from the secon
d row (last time I saw Alice) to extremely far away.

Also, that was my first time I could test out my new custom earplugs and they were amazing. My ears have never felt so good after a show. The sound was definitely off, but I'm not so sure that was because of the ear plugs.
The best run of songs i've ever seen live is Moonchild through The Evil That Men Do Running Free is the only skid mark in this set, the rest of the show is just a perfect run of songs. Afraid To Shoot Strangers came off better than I ever thought it would to.

I liked the venue a lot, I think the layout is better than what we have here at the Darien Lake amphitheater. This is the first time i've been to the Molson amphitheater since I saw Rush there in the summer of 1997. Everyone sat for that show and it soured me so much on going to shows with reserved seats in Toronto that for many years I refused to go to a show up there unless it was general admission. Fifteen years later this show has changed my mind, I guess all Toronto crowds aren't completely lame after all.

As for the sound, I thought it sounded good though it did sound muffeled at times, otherwise it was fine. My ears only rang for a bit after the show. By the time I was at my car the ringing had stopped. If it didn't sound right to you, then you might want to blame your earplugs
Old 07-14-2012, 04:58 PM
Welcome To My Nightmare...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanitarium78 View Post
The best run of songs i've ever seen live is Moonchild through The Evil That Men Do Running Free is the only skid mark in this set, the rest of the show is just a perfect run of songs. Afraid To Shoot Strangers came off better than I ever thought it would to.
I thought the opposite. Running Free sounded great to me (and I greatly prefer the 5 classic Bruce albums to either of the Di'anno ones) and Afraid To Shoot Strangers was the low point. Based on what he said before he introduced the song, I thought for sure they were going to change it to Infinite Dreams.

Quote:
I liked the venue a lot, I think the layout is better than what we have here at the Darien Lake amphitheater. This is the first time i've been to the Molson amphitheater since I saw Rush there in the summer of 1997. Everyone sat for that show and it soured me so much on going to shows with reserved seats in Toronto that for many years I refused to go to a show up there unless it was general admission. Fifteen years later this show has changed my mind, I guess all Toronto crowds aren't completely lame after all.
Everyone in the 200's was standing during Alice, but in the 300's nobody stood. I didn't want to be the guy that makes everyone behind me stand, but I thought it was pretty lame. It was like when I saw Alice in Kitchener and people were sitting during Anvil.

Quote:
As for the sound, I thought it sounded good though it did sound muffeled at times, otherwise it was fine. My ears only rang for a bit after the show. By the time I was at my car the ringing had stopped. If it didn't sound right to you, then you might want to blame your earplugs
The drums and vocals were clear (though Bruce's talking wasn't). The guitars were pretty muffled throughout and the bass could be heard but wasn't too clear. I would blame my ear plugs, but my brother (who used normal foam ear plugs) said he thought the same thing.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:19 AM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiner202 View Post
I thought the opposite. Running Free sounded great to me (and I greatly prefer the 5 classic Bruce albums to either of the Di'anno ones) and Afraid To Shoot Strangers was the low point. Based on what he said before he introduced the song, I thought for sure they were going to change it to Infinite Dreams.

Everyone in the 200's was standing during Alice, but in the 300's nobody stood. I didn't want to be the guy that makes everyone behind me stand, but I thought it was pretty lame. It was like when I saw Alice in Kitchener and people were sitting during Anvil.

The drums and vocals were clear (though Bruce's talking wasn't). The guitars were pretty muffled throughout and the bass could be heard but wasn't too clear. I would blame my ear plugs, but my brother (who used normal foam ear plugs) said he thought the same thing.
I couldn't hear anything Bruce was saying when he was talking before ATSS. But that's not unusual for concerts as i've had that problem at many shows i've been to and someone on stage tries to talk to the crowd. If have no clue why on earth you would think Infinite Dreams was gonna be played though regardless of what Bruce said.

I get why people were sitting during Cooper. While there are a lot of fans at this show who like both him and Maiden, Cooper is still playing for a bunch of people whon aren't there to see him. As for people sitting during Anvil, that's totally understandable given the level of suck and chessiness their music is.

There were some sound issues but they didn't bother me. Believe me, i've heard much worse before. Cooper's mix sounded a lot better than Maiden's though and that should not be the case. Under no circumstances should the opener have a better sound and clarity than the headliner. I've read reports of sound issues on this tour. It seems the soundboard guy that's been with Maiden since 1979 isn't with them anymore for some reason so they've got somebody new at the soundboard. It seems the person might be struggling a bit to find their feet with this gig.

There's a ton of factors in bad sound though and a lot of it may have to do with the venue. But like I said, Cooper had no sound issues at all, so Maiden may have to give a kick in the ass to whoever is doing their live mix now.

Last edited by Sanitarium78; 07-15-2012 at 08:22 AM.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:07 AM
N00B

I have to say it was a great show, definitely agree on the sound being a bit muddled though. The vocals sounded fine but I felt most of Bruce's talking was very muffled sounding.

The set was nearly perfect but I was still hoping to see Hallowed Be Thy Name. There had been rumors Toronto was going to get it as their performance of the song in Toronto closed their Flight 666 documentary. Would have worked better as a closing track than Running Free in my opinion.
04/24 - Nile
Old 07-15-2012, 02:24 PM
somebody somewhere

Dream Theater sounded much better when I saw them open for Maiden a couple of years ago. The opener should never sound so much better.

Tags
alice cooper, iron maiden