Megadeth -- Milwaukee, WI -- July 19th, 2013
Family Values Tour -- Denver, CO -- November 11th, 2001
Judas Priest -- Salt Lake City, UT -- November 12th, 1990
Korn -- Denver, CO -- July 29th, 2002

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 07-14-2012, 10:39 AM
N00B

Mayhem Festival -- Tampa, FL -- July 13th, 2012

Yesterday morning around 10AM, we headed out to go to the Mayhem Festival 2012 at the 1-800-ask-gary amphitheater, we get there 2 hours before doors open, we are in the first 50 people there. it's like 98 degrees, we were suppose to be let in at 1 but did not get in till 1:40, and the first band started at 1:30.

Upon A burning Body - This band had such great energy and interaction with the crowd, they sounded great, had a great setlist, my 2nd time seeing them, and I will definitely see them again if given the chance. 7/10

Whitechapel - Watched them from a distance while in line to meet anthrax, sounded great though. - 6/10

The Devil Wears Prada - Much better than i anticipated, Mike definitely knows how to work the crowd. - 6/10

Anthrax - The main reason i was there, they completely owned the side stage, they had 3 pits going on at once at one point, unbelievable energy from Scott Ian, frankie Bello and Joey Belladonna, i was slightly disappointed drummer Charlie Benante was hurt and couldn't play, but recruited drummer Jason Bittner from Shadows Fall did a great job, the setlist was great, by far the highlight of the day for me. - 9/10

As I Lay Dying - We missed the first 2 songs because they started before Anthrax ended, sounded great. I just hope they come back through on their album tour in a club setting, not really an amphitheater band, decent setlist - 6.5/10

Motorhead - I will never for the life of me understand what is so great about this "legendary" band, up until the last 3 songs i could not understand a single word Lemmy said, drummer Mickey D's drum solo was the only memorable part of the set for me, i did enjoy the song "Overkill" though. - 5/10

Slayer - I was looking forward to seeing this band for the first time, and they did not disappoint, opening with the very brutal track "Disciple", Slayer continue to show why they are near the top of the Thrash world, vocalist Tom Araya sounded almost flawless, he NAILED the scream at the beginning to Angel Of Death, and Dave Lombardo continues to amaze people with his intense speed, I definitely plan on seeing them again, hopefully in a smaller venue. - 8/10

Slipknot - I will be honest, they were a major let down compared to what I've been hearing about them live, everyone always says they are one of the best live bands ever, they were entertaining, they had as decent setlist, and great musicianship, but i was not blown away by them, I'm not sure I would even pay this much money to go see them again, again they were good, but not amazing. - 7/10
------
Stuff i got.

Signed posters by whitechapel, As I Lay Dying, Anthrax and The Devil Wears Prada.

Whitechapel "This Is Exile" picture disc vinyl (# 1170 of 2000, limited press)

Drum sticks signed by the drummers from Whitechapel, TDWP, Upon A burning Body and Shadows Fall(filling in for Anthrax)

Whitechapel and Anthrax shirts

Pre-order for As I Lay Dying's upcoming album "Awakened".
Old 07-14-2012, 12:37 PM
N00B

I was here too. I had an awesome time! Here's my review of what I saw:

Whitechapel: They were playing while I was waiting to meet Anthrax. I saw them before and they were fucking brutal! I was hoping to watch more but they sounded as good as ever. Didn't watch enough of their set to grade it though.

Asking Alexandria: I really enjoyed their set personally. I know many people hate them, but I happen to like them, and they did well. The crowd was really into them too. 7.5/10

The Devil Wears Prada: I was watching them while waiting for the Slipknot signing. This was my third time seeing them, and they also sounded as good as ever. 7/10

Anthrax: Didn't really watch enough of their set to grade it, but I've seen them already and they sounded tight yesterday!

As I Lay Dying: Awesome band, but I was on the lawn so I didn't get as much out of their set as I had hoped to. Really hope to catch them in a smaller venue soon. Still solid though. 7.5/10

Motorhead: Good, but not amazing. This was my first time seeing them, and they definitely have that great rock n' roll sound. The drum solo was good though, and they played all of their songs well. I'd like to see them closer, but only if its cheap or with another band I want to see. 7/10

Slayer: This was my third time seeing Slayer, and they ALWAYS deliver. After a failed attempt by my friend and I to get in the pit, we sucked it up on the lawn. They sounded awesome, and eventually we went to the pit on the lawn near the end of the set, which was a ton of fun. I do wish they had played Chemical Warfare and Black Magic, but they played all of their other signature songs. Would definitely not mind seeing them a fourth time. 8.5/10

Slipknot: After Slayer, I decided to see if anybody in the pit was leaving the venue before Slipknot. I found one guy and asked if I could have his yellow wristband, and he gave it to me! So I got in the pit for Slipknot! This was my first time seeing them, and they were very awesome. I was surprised to see Jim Root was back, which was great. Their setlist was near flawless imo, with a heavy focus on old material. I was pissed that they didn't play Pulse of the Maggots though, since they have on every other stop, and it's one of my top 3 songs by them. I also would have liked to see All Hope is Gone, Dead Memories, and Snuff, although I know they aren't playing them on this tour. Still though, they had great crowd interaction, great use of pyro, and they sounded tight. Spit It Out in particular was incredible. I will say though, they didn't quite live up to my expectations. They sounded good, but could have been improved on with little things here and there, especially the guitars' volume. I had an awesome time though, and I will see them in a heartbeat whenever they do come back. I was hoping for a 9/10 show, but they got damn close. 8.5/10

While I was there, I also got my CD booklet for Among the Living signed by Anthrax (made sure not to have the Shadows Fall drummer sign it though), a Slipknot poster signed by Chris, Clown, and Corey, and I bought an As I Lay Dying tank.

Mayhem is a ton of fun every year, and this year was no exception. This was probably my favorite lineup yet (although 2009 is REALLY close), and I can't wait for next year. It was also a bonus that this was the day after my birthday too! My only real regret is not buying a pit ticket from the beginning. I wonder who they could get for next year. If they want a fresh headliner that people aren't tired of (or at least hasn't done a major tour recently), they really need to finally get System of a Down next year.
3/2 - Dropkick Murphys
3/11 - Meshuggah
3/12 - Tenacious D
Old 07-14-2012, 01:24 PM
N00B

Jason Bittner signed my Anthrax poster, i didn't even think anything of it, but i got him to sign a pair of drum sticks.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:34 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiddenzombie013 View Post

I also got my CD booklet for Among the Living signed by Anthrax (made sure not to have the Shadows Fall drummer sign it though)

year.
Did you have Rob sign it? He wasn't on the album lol
Old 07-14-2012, 10:38 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNobleFaceHumper View Post
Did you have Rob sign it? He wasn't on the album lol
Yeah, but two things:

1) At least he's in Anthrax
2) I totally forgot about that

Haha oh well. Also, upon further research, I see Slipknot only played Pulse of the Maggots at the San Bernadino date, so I don't feel as bad now.
3/2 - Dropkick Murphys
3/11 - Meshuggah
3/12 - Tenacious D
Old 07-14-2012, 10:38 PM
Lead Singer of Atlas

I managed to get to rail for Anthrax and it was one of the more extreme crowds I've been in.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:20 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiddenzombie013 View Post
Yeah, but two things:

1) At least he's in Anthrax
2) I totally forgot about that

Haha oh well. Also, upon further research, I see Slipknot only played Pulse of the Maggots at the San Bernadino date, so I don't feel as bad now.
Yeah earlier this year Rob signed my copy of "Attack of the Killer B's" along with the rest of the band

Only funny thing was seeing people have Joey sign "The Greater of Two Evils"
Crue/Alice Cooper
Fishbone
Slayer/Suicidal/Exodus
Living Colour
Old 07-15-2012, 05:38 AM
Metal-Setlistcore

Jason might as well be in Anthrax now, it seems like he's played more shows than Charlie has this year
Old 07-15-2012, 09:16 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomynous View Post
Jason might as well be in Anthrax now, it seems like he's played more shows than Charlie has this year
In the words of Ron, you shut your whore mouth!

I wish it was Gene Hoglan filling in (again) instead of Bittner.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:17 AM
N00B

I honestly think Gary Holt is going to be with Slayer for a long time. Hanneman hasnt played with them in over a year and is still recovering. Holt is actually a fantastic guitarist and if they do write an album with him it might freshen up their sound.

Tags
anthrax, as i lay dying, motörhead, slayer, slipknot, the devil wears prada, upon a burning body, whitechapel