Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Nine Inch Nails -- Morrison, CO -- July 21st, 2014
Helmet -- West Hollywood, CA -- July 11th, 2014
Mastodon -- Nordfjordied, Norway -- July 18th, 2014
Queens of the Stone Age -- Philadelphia, PA -- July 20th, 2014
Queensryche -- Waukesha, WI -- July 19th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

View Poll Results: Favorite Pantera Album?
Metal Magic 1 2.00%
Projects in the Jungle 0 0%
I Am The Night 0 0%
Power Metal 5 10.00%
Cowboys From Hell 7 14.00%
Vulgar Display of Power 15 30.00%
Far Beyond Driven 9 18.00%
The Great Southern Trendkill 12 24.00%
Reinventing the Steel 1 2.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-02-2014, 07:14 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthG View Post
I don't think you're going to last long here.
yeah probably not.
Old 07-02-2014, 07:31 AM
Long live Ronnie James Dio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausea View Post
yeah probably not.
Leave the cigar smoking to me, kid

Anyway, I rank them like this:

Vulgar Display Of Power
Far Beyond Driven
Cowboys From Hell
The Great Southeren Trendkill
Reinventing The Steel

My album collection: http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=10683&page=16
Old 07-02-2014, 07:51 AM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

For the longest time I told myself that the Great Southern Trendkill was their best album because it's the kewl thing to do. It does have a few wicked songs but it has some stinkers too. After hearing a retrospective on Far Beyond Driven this past winter I came to realize that is their best album. The songs, the production, the attitude; all perfect.
10/18 -- King Diamond
11/01 -- Suffocation
Old 07-02-2014, 08:14 AM
All of my life, I've been waiting for you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
Sacrament

Trendkill is the only Pantera record I can get through without laughing.
Swans: 9/11
Trust: 9/27
Old 07-02-2014, 08:17 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
I like Death. I like Bloodbath. I like Gojira. I like Bolt Thrower. I like Carcass. I like old Metallica.
So do I. Not sure what your point was here.

I don't care much for Pantera or LoG, for reasons I already explained. It's got nothing to do with being fickle - I never really liked them in the first place.

Having said that, is the metal fanbase overall fickle? Probably. More fickle than for any other genre? Probably not. Changing tastes is the nature of the beast, and passing popularity is the way of consumerism in general - and make no mistake...music is both part art and part consumerism - especially these days. Hell, there's even a band out there now that call themselves "Into It. Over It.", which illustrates the point perfectly. Individuals tend to bandwagon sometimes, and the market as a whole even more so.

Does it mean there aren't loyal folks out there who stick to their guns? Of course not. I would say though, that being steadfastly loyal to a band in light of decreasing quality of output is a bit of a myopic view. Bands should lose fans if they start to lose that "je ne sais quoi" that made them awesome back in their earlier days - I hate to say it, but it's true. They especially deserve to lose fans if they stop trying altogether because finally having plenty of the almighty dollar allows them to get lazy. I'm not sure which of these has happened to bands like Metallica and Slayer, but let's face it - the quality of the work just isn't the same anymore. Look how hard Metallica had to try to squeeze out some good stuff on "Death Magnetic". Unfortunately, it's a sign of their eventual inevitable decline. It's OK, though. It happens to everyone.

There's nothing wrong with fans being honest about what they like and don't like - that's what keeps the quality of the music high. It may seem like a cold way to look at things, but competition among artists is good for everyone - it keeps the artists on their toes and it keeps the quality level high and incentivizes growth into new areas.

Will there be some sheep out there who just blindly listen to the latest directives from the masses and clamor in the direction of the next loudest buzz? Of course. Today's market depends on it. That, and people are stupid. There's no getting around it. Don't worry, though - we all know that not everybody is like that, and in particular the folks on here tend to be the exception to that rule more than the example of it. That's one of the reasons we all come here.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:17 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
For the longest time I told myself that the Great Southern Trendkill was their best album because it's the kewl thing to do. It does have a few wicked songs but it has some stinkers too. After hearing a retrospective on Far Beyond Driven this past winter I came to realize that is their best album. The songs, the production, the attitude; all perfect.
I completely agree. mad props for what Terry Date did with the production quality of Far Beyond Driven. It's just so aggressive, and clean, and to not sound stale 20 years later is an amazing production feat. It also helps that every song on that album is great. There isnt a single song I would have pulled from that album, and I can't say the same about any of their other albums.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:24 AM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

I also have never liked Pantera or Lamb of God
07/31 - Warped
08/01 - Cannabis Corpse
Old 07-02-2014, 09:33 AM
Hunting High And Low

Quote:
I like Lamb of God. I like Pantera. I like Death. I like Bloodbath. I like Gojira. I like Bolt Thrower. I like Carcass. I like old Metallica. No amount of metal community hate for these bands is really going to change my opinion of their music. good music is good.
You're not the only one, most of my favorite bands are the ones that are fun to hate. Except mine are probably the most hated of all. Motley Crue, Poison, Winger, Black Veil Brides, DragonForce, Amaranthe, Avenged Sevenfold, and heck of a lot more. I even love Nelson, so that right there should tell you all you need to know about me. And do I care that everyone hates them all? HECK TO THE NO!!!!

You get use to it eventually, I know I have.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:45 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
Quote:

I like Death. I like Bloodbath. I like Gojira. I like Bolt Thrower. I like Carcass. I like old Metallica.
So do I. Not sure what your point was here.
My point there was just simply these are bands I like, and I'm going to continue to like them even if popular opinion in the metal community changes. I am just not all that fickle. And really the main band this this was targeted at is Lamb Of God, because I'd be willing to bet that some of the people saying "LOG SUXXXS" were probably saying "OMG LOG BEST EVER!!!!" 7 years ago. Do I think everyone in metal 7 years ago liked LOG? No, I know that isnt true, nor do I think everyone should like them. Hate them and think they suck? Okay.

Quote:

Having said that, is the metal fanbase overall fickle? Probably. More fickle than for any other genre? Probably not. Changing tastes is the nature of the beast, and passing popularity is the way of consumerism in general - and make no mistake...music is both part art and part consumerism - especially these days. Hell, there's even a band out there now that call themselves "Into It. Over It.", which illustrates the point perfectly. Individuals tend to bandwagon sometimes, and the market as a whole even more so.
I agree with this. although might question it being more fickle than others. I am probably just more sensitive to the fickle nature of Metal because that's the genre i follow more closely.

Quote:

Does it mean there aren't loyal folks out there who stick to their guns? Of course not. I would say though, that being steadfastly loyal to a band in light of decreasing quality of output is a bit of a myopic view. Bands should lose fans if they start to lose that "je ne sais quoi" that made them awesome back in their earlier days - I hate to say it, but it's true. They especially deserve to lose fans if they stop trying altogether because finally having plenty of the almighty dollar allows them to get lazy. I'm not sure which of these has happened to bands like Metallica and Slayer, but let's face it - the quality of the work just isn't the same anymore. Look how hard Metallica had to try to squeeze out some good stuff on "Death Magnetic". Unfortunately, it's a sign of their eventual inevitable decline. It's OK, though. It happens to everyone.

There's nothing wrong with fans being honest about what they like and don't like - that's what keeps the quality of the music high. It may seem like a cold way to look at things, but competition among artists is good for everyone - it keeps the artists on their toes and it keeps the quality level high and incentivizes growth into new areas.
Okay so I don't disagree with this perse, however I assert that lessor quality later work shouldn't detract from the greatness of earlier work. Completely agree Metallica should lose fans after load, reload, st anger, DM... However making St. Anger shouldn't make MOP any less great/special.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:49 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWildAndTheYoung View Post
You're not the only one, most of my favorite bands are the ones that are fun to hate. Except mine are probably the most hated of all. Motley Crue, Poison, Winger, Black Veil Brides, DragonForce, Amaranthe, Avenged Sevenfold, and heck of a lot more. I even love Nelson, so that right there should tell you all you need to know about me. And do I care that everyone hates them all? HECK TO THE NO!!!!

You get use to it eventually, I know I have.
\m/ Yeah I know I'm not the only one. And yes, you win the prize for most hated bands but I can appreciate you sticking to your guns