Riot Fest -- Denver, CO -- September 19th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 02-18-2012, 04:51 PM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Black Sabbath -- Toronto, Ontario -- February 9th, 1999

Black Sabbath
Support: Pantera, Deftones
Venue: the Skydome in Toronto, Ontario

Found this old setlist from Black Sabbaths first reunion tour with Ozzy thirteen years ago. I'm only posting it for one reason, which I'll get to later.

Got to the show just as the Deftones were starting up. Skydome is a terrible place for a concert, one of the biggest reasons being the acoustics. So when you have a band like the Deftones, who use a lot of reverb and chorus, it gets even worse. I was a big fan of theirs at this time but they sounded like shit. The crowd was NOT into them either. There were a lot of '70's drunken rockheads at this show who were already drunk off their asses (at 7pm) and if they even acknowleged the Deftones it was comments like "the fuck is this shit rap band doing open'n for Sabbath"? This was a full year before White Pony came out but they did open their set with the first half of Pink Maggit and closed with the second half. I thought it was a wicked song and hoped they recorded some day, which they did. I can't remember what else they played.

Now, the reason I'm posting this. When you see most bands of a larger calibur play the lights usually dim and some ominus music plays over the P.A. that gets you pumped for whoevers playing. Pantera just walked on stage and Phil, who was drunk out of his mind, says into the microphone "we're Pantera, you're all a bunch of fucking pussies" and they exploded into Domination. It was the coolest opening to a concert I've seen in my life. They were awesome, I only wished they'd played something from the Great Southern Trendkill. It was the only time I ever got to see them.

Pantera
1. Domination/Hollow
2. A New Level
3. Walk
4. Becoming/Throes of Rejection
5. Use My Third Arm
6. Primal Concrete Sledge
7. Fucking Hostile
8. This Love
9. Cowboys From Hell

The crowd was more into Pantera than the Deftones but it was a classic rock crowd so they wanted Sabbath, specifically Ozzy. After Pantera was done I saw so many 40-50 year old dudes literally getting carried out by they were buddies because they had drunken themselves out cold. It was hilarious, this concert cost $130 and we weren't even in a very good section. Such a waste of money. This was the first time Black Sabbath got back together with all four original members. Before the Osbournes and before his idiot kids got famous, this show actually meant something. They were awesome, but nothing ever topped Pantera. I'm pretty sure that it was the same set they played at their first reunion show in 1997 and wouldn't be surprised if the upcoming tour isn't exactly the same.

Black Sabbath
1. War Pigs
2. N.I.B.
3. Fairies Wear Boots
4. After Forever
5. Electric Funeral
6. Sweet Leaf
7. Into the Void
8. Snowblind
9. Dirty Women
10. Black Sabbath
11. Iron Man
12. Children of the Grave
Encore:
13. Paranoid

This was far from the best concert I ever went to but it is definately one that I remember the most, for all the drunks and for Phil's awesome line.
11/30 - Devin Townsend
12/06 - Distant Worlds: the Music of Final Fantasy

Last edited by adamclark52; 02-19-2012 at 09:12 AM.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:19 PM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

That's a seriously awesome evening of music if you ask me, thanks for posting!

Considering PanterA are my favorite band, them supporting Black Sabbath is an absolute dream, unfortunately now it forever is a dream. That opening sounds awesome, everyone whom I've heard talk about PanterA says the energy is forever unrivalled, they were a wrecking ball live.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:22 PM
The cameras are whores for the daily bloodshed.

Awesome review! Thanks for sharing. Had to LOL at Phil's quote.

11/03-Suffocation, Kataklysm (?)
11/25-Slayer (?)
Old 02-18-2012, 06:32 PM
Concert Veteran

Thanks for posting this. I went to this show to and even though my seats sucked it was still great. As for all the 50 year old drunk people getting carried off, i'm not sure what you're talking about there. I didn't see anything like that in my area. Originally there was a date for Buffalo announced for this tour but for some reason it got cancelled before tickets went on sale and that's why we (my dad, older brother and myself) decided to see it up in Toronto. Perhaps if we had got tickets sooner we wouldn't have had bad ones up in the top section but we didn't bother right away since we thought it was coming here.

I can't remember if we arrived late to the show but I don't recall the Deftones playing. In fact all these years I recall the lineup only being Pantera and Sabbath so we must've got there late. No big loss since I don't care about the Deftones anyways.

I really liked Pantera's performance but you're nuts if you think they were better than Sabbath. The epicness of seeing the original Sabbath on their first reunion tour ever trumps anything Pantera did in my book. I loved ever second of Sabbath's show, except for opening with War Pigs. I've see Ozzy open his show with it once and it's just a lame opener that does nothing for me. Opening songs need to be fast paced and get me pumped right away and as great as War Pigs is, the song just doesn't do that for me.

Hopefully everything will work out with the current Sabbath reunion and we'll get to see them again. If not, i'm greatful that I had the chance to see this show. This show also completed the cycle for me because after this I had seen Sabbath with Dio (1992), Martin (1995) and with Ozzy. Those are the three most important singers the band has had and it was great to have seen them with each one.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:50 PM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanitarium78 View Post
Thanks for posting this. I went to this show to and even though my seats sucked it was still great. As for all the 50 year old drunk people getting carried off, i'm not sure what you're talking about there. I didn't see anything like that in my area. Originally there was a date for Buffalo announced for this tour but for some reason it got cancelled before tickets went on sale and that's why we (my dad, older brother and myself) decided to see it up in Toronto. Perhaps if we had got tickets sooner we wouldn't have had bad ones up in the top section but we didn't bother right away since we thought it was coming here.

I can't remember if we arrived late to the show but I don't recall the Deftones playing. In fact all these years I recall the lineup only being Pantera and Sabbath so we must've got there late. No big loss since I don't care about the Deftones anyways.

I really liked Pantera's performance but you're nuts if you think they were better than Sabbath. The epicness of seeing the original Sabbath on their first reunion tour ever trumps anything Pantera did in my book. I loved ever second of Sabbath's show, except for opening with War Pigs. I've see Ozzy open his show with it once and it's just a lame opener that does nothing for me. Opening songs need to be fast paced and get me pumped right away and as great as War Pigs is, the song just doesn't do that for me.

Hopefully everything will work out with the current Sabbath reunion and we'll get to see them again. If not, i'm greatful that I had the chance to see this show. This show also completed the cycle for me because after this I had seen Sabbath with Dio (1992), Martin (1995) and with Ozzy. Those are the three most important singers the band has had and it was great to have seen them with each one.
Oh man, I always remember this one guy who was completely tanked from the second we got there. He was yelling and screaming during Deftones, during the changeover between Deftones and Pantera he was just going nuts yelling "Ozzy, Ozzy, Ozzy"...for a half hour (beer in hand the whole time). During Pantera he was just going crazy, rocking hard for the first half of their set. Then the last time I saw him was about fifteen minutes before Sabbath went on, bodysurfing on his back...head leaning back...out cold as three of his friends were carrying him out of the area. He never came back. It was so funny.

Geezer Butler really impressed me more than anything at this show. He was just awesome on bass, and to play with his FINGERS like that?!?! It wasn't even like how Harris from Iron Maiden plays, he sort of strummed all four of his fingers in unison like it was one big finger and so fast for the whole set.
11/30 - Devin Townsend
12/06 - Distant Worlds: the Music of Final Fantasy

Last edited by adamclark52; 02-18-2012 at 06:57 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:05 PM
When your grabbing ass with your friends...

That would be ungodly but booking Deftones w/ either of those bands is not smart. No chance either audience would really get the Deftones. My 1 Pantera gripe from this time was putting Domination & Hollow together. Domination is great on its own. I never saw Pantera but it always bothered me when they did that.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:42 PM
N00B

I would have literally killed to see this show. I love Deftones and Sabbath and hearing Deftones open with the 1st half of pink maggit and close with the 2nd half is insane. You know the rest of their set?
Old 02-18-2012, 09:57 PM
Veteran of the Trade

I went to this tour but incubus openned here instead of deftones. I still had a great time.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:16 AM
Long live Ronnie James Dio

Anyone who ever saw Pantera gets my respect.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:47 AM
N00B

What was the stage/theatre setup for this show? I know that when Skydome hosted concerts they had a number of configurations depending on who was playing. Just asking because as big as Sabbath are/were, drawing 50,000 people to the Dome is a hefty task for any band not named U2.

Also agree about the Pantera set. Not only is there nothing off of Great southern trendkill, but best songs from Far Beyond Driven aren't there.
12/27 - Protest the Hero

Tags
black sabbath, pantera