Marduk -- Norrköping, Sweden -- December 19th-20th, 2014
Despised Icon -- Worcester, MA -- December 21st, 2014
Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 07-30-2014, 11:31 AM
PANNTURRRUHHHHHH!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
Week 87 *Just curious, does anyone here listen to the show besides John? I only wanna keep posting about the show here if anyone does listen*

Podomatic: http://thatdrummerguy.podomatic.com/entry/2014-07-21T15_30_36-07_00

Spreaker: http://www.spreaker.com/user/thatdru...esents-week-87

http://thatdrummerguy.weebly.com/

Anubis Gate- A Dream Within A Dream
Echoterra- A Sanguinary Greed
Saor- Aura
Mournful Congregation- Concrescence Of The Sophia
Elvenking- King of the Elves
Allegaeon- Genocide for Praise-Vals for the Vitruvian Man
Sonata Arctica- Larger Than Life
Panopticon- Chase the Grain
Fallujah- The Flesh Prevails
HOw'd I over look this playlist!? Imma download this one tonight as well!

Funeral Age
funeralage.com

Mesmur
facebook.com/mesmurdoom
Old 08-05-2014, 01:19 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by John The Drummer View Post
HOw'd I over look this playlist!? Imma download this one tonight as well!

This week's show will be up in a little bit. I have been so behind since Summer Slaughter on Sunday.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:34 PM
That Guy

Week 89, featuring my interview with Zach Simmons of Goatwhore:

Podomatic: http://thatdrummerguy.podomatic.com/...12_11_09-07_00

Spreaker: http://www.spreaker.com/user/thatdru...esents-week-89

http://www.thatdrummerguy.weebly.com

KXM- Gunfight
Prong- Remove, Separate Self
Eluveitie- Vianna
Alestorm- Wooden Leg!
Unisonic- Exceptional
Noveria- Fallen from Grace
Goatwhore- Unravelling Paradise
Interview With Goatwhore's Zach Simmons
Goatwhore- FBS
Entombed A.D.- Pandemic Rage
Pathology- Relics Past
Vader- Where Angels Weep
Septicflesh- Prototype
THe Atlas Moth- The Sea Beyond
Capilla Ardiente- Into Unknown Lands
Nachtmystium- Epitaph For A Dying Star
Retinwaav- Perennial
Lazer/Wülf- Beast Reality (Center Piece)
Astral DNA- Curious Tomorrows (ft. Tom Englund)
Derdian- Mafia
Biffy Clyro- No I'm Not Down
Mastodon- Aunt Lisa

Last edited by MPF; 08-05-2014 at 01:38 PM.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:15 PM
Welcome To My Nightmare...

Quote:
Week 89
Listening to this one now. Gonna type my thoughts as I get to the songs.

Quote:
KXM- Gunfight - Decent tune but not quite heavy enough for me
Prong- Remove, Separate Self - Didn't really dig this
Eluveitie- Vianna - This was really cool. I've never listened to these guys, and I honestly probably wouldn't listen to it very often, but it's nice to hear stuff like this once in a while.
Alestorm- Wooden Leg! - Not my favourite song from the album, but the whole album is a masterpiece
Unisonic- Exceptional - One of the best songs off a very disappointing record. Kiske's vocals are sooooo good though.
Noveria- Fallen from Grace - Singer is pretty good. Wasn't really digging the music though. The guitars sound a bit too downtuned for this style. Gets more interesting once the leads come in.

In between these songs, you mention that Unisonic features members and ex-members of Helloween, but it's only ex-members :P

Goatwhore- Unravelling Paradise - Never listened to these guys before, but my brother is a fan. The guitars are way too quiet when there is blasting. The more death metal style vocals are well done. Definitely decent, but not really my style of extreme metal.
That's as much as I have time for at the moment, but I will most definitely come back to listen to more of this week because I want to hear Entombed A.D., Pathology, Vader, and Derdian.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:22 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiner202 View Post
Listening to this one now. Gonna type my thoughts as I get to the songs.

That's as much as I have time for at the moment, but I will most definitely come back to listen to more of this week because I want to hear Entombed A.D., Pathology, Vader, and Derdian.
Thanks for checking it out so far.

Yeah about Unisonic, I love Exceptional because of his vocals. I remember you were saying before how disappointed you were in the album. I like the songs I've heard, just wish there was more variety in the BPM. there is a lot of mid-tempo songs.

And my girlfriend gave me a ton of shit when I got that wrong about Unisonic. Not sure why I thought Kiske was still in Helloween, that doesn't even make sense . She loves Power Metal to death so anytime I get something wrong, she holds it against me for a long time.

Again, thanks for checking it out!

Last edited by MPF; 08-08-2014 at 12:25 PM.
Old 08-08-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Thanks for checking it out so far.

Yeah about Unisonic, I love Exceptional because of his vocals. I remember you were saying before how disappointed you were in the album. I like the songs I've heard, just wish there was more variety in the BPM. there is a lot of mid-tempo songs.
Yeah Kiske is pretty much a god to me. Everything he touches becomes 100x better because of his involvement.

The problem with the new album is that most of the songs are either ballads, or slow boring songs without riffs. Even "Exceptional" fits the mold of their weaker stuff, but it's much better written than most of the other songs on the album.

Quote:
And my girlfriend gave me a ton of shit when I got that wrong about Unisonic. Not sure why I thought Kiske was still in Helloween, that doesn't even make sense . She loves Power Metal to death so anytime I get something wrong, she holds it against me for a long time.
Haha. No worries, I kinda get when you're doing things live that can happen. I remember in my only live interview to date I was a mess of "ums" and "uhs".

Quote:
Again, thanks for checking it out!
NP. Round 2 begins now, though I definitely won't get through too many songs before I have to head out.

Quote:
Interview With Goatwhore's Zach Simmons - I think I skipped part of this in finding my old spot, but cool interview.
Goatwhore- FBS - This is way thrashier, and thus, way better than the other Goatwhore track. I could listen to this for sure.
Entombed A.D.- Pandemic Rage - The death 'n' roll is strong in this track. I've only heard Left Hand Path, and this is certainly a far cry from it, but it's not bad.
Pathology- Relics Past - This is one crazy breakdown to start the song. I have 3 Pathology albums and have never heard that strange of a breakdown, Sounds like the standard Pathology otherwise. I was worried they'd really lose it given how terrible the album name is, but this is pretty much identical to everything I own by them. I'll probably skip getting this record. And as soon as I say that, an AWESOME guitar solo shows up. With melody and everything. I might need to buy this now.
Vader- Where Angels Weep - If there is one old-school death metal band I've never gotten into, it would be Vader. With that said, this track is really cool. Lots of thrash influence here.
I'm gonna just start listening to these without commenting on every song though
Old 08-08-2014, 01:40 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Yeah Kiske is pretty much a god to me. Everything he touches becomes 100x better because of his involvement.

The problem with the new album is that most of the songs are either ballads, or slow boring songs without riffs. Even "Exceptional" fits the mold of their weaker stuff, but it's much better written than most of the other songs on the album.

Haha. No worries, I kinda get when you're doing things live that can happen. I remember in my only live interview to date I was a mess of "ums" and "uhs".

NP. Round 2 begins now, though I definitely won't get through too many songs before I have to head out.

I'm gonna just start listening to these without commenting on every song though
I actually dig that you're doing that. It shows that someone is really paying attention to the show more then just saying "Hey, great job!" Or "I didn't actually listen, but cool I guess."

I've gotten better over the years with umms and uhhs in my interviews. Interviewing most of my heroes has helped with that. Although when I do it a lot now a days, you can tell I am nervous as hell.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:00 PM
That Guy

Alright Folks, again trying to lighten the mood of Facebook tonight, here is week 90 of That Drummer Guy Presents, featuring my interview with Alex Hofmann of Fallujah.

*Also note, I made a format change in the show with how the playlist is ordered, let me know what you think of it*

http://thatdrummerguy.podomatic.com/...17_17_19-07_00
http://www.spreaker.com/user/thatdru...esents-week-90
http://www.thatdrummerguy.weebly.com

Midnight- Degradation
Vallenfyre- Bereft
Alfar- Across the Northern Storms
MindShade- Fire Demon
Interview With Fallujah Frontman Alex Hofmann (Part 1)
Fallujah- Carved from Stone
Transatlantic- Black as the Sky
Judas Priest- Dragonaut
Yob- Nothing To Win
Grailknights- Holding out for a Hero
Lethian Dreams- Shades
Marty Friedman- Sociopaths (feat. David Davidson)
Dawn Of Destiny- Rising Angel
Ancient Ascendant- Crones to the Flames
Deadfall- Visage
Skid Row- We Are The Damned
Interview With Fallujah's Alex Hofmann (Part 2)
Fallujah- The Night Reveals
Bloody Hammers- Dead Man's Shadow On The Wall
Ancient Bards- In My Arms
Old 08-11-2014, 09:32 PM

Quote:

Midnight- Degradation Love both Midnight and this song. Great pick to get it started.
Vallenfyre- Bereft There were some cool ideas in here but I wasn't really digging it.
Alfar- Across the Northern Storms I don't really listen to a lot of this, but this song was really cool. I would probably buy something of theirs if it were more widely available. The guitar solo was definitely the highlight.
MindShade- Fire Demon The breakdown in this song is really bad. Otherwise not a terrible song, but I didn't like the vocals.
Interview With Fallujah Frontman Alex Hofmann (Part 1) Skipped this because I'm not really a fan. Going to listen to the song though.
Fallujah- Carved from Stone Seems like pretty decent tech-death. Nothing special, but certainly listenable.
Transatlantic- Black as the Sky Way too out there for me. Vocals weren't my thing either.
Judas Priest- Dragonaut Was really interested to hear this as I didn't check out the new album. Sounds great to me. Just what Priest should sound like, and I say that as someone who isn't a huge Priest fan.
Yob- Nothing To Win Music was good, but I didn't like the vocals.
Grailknights- Holding out for a Hero Didn't like the intro, but totally awesome aside from that.
Lethian Dreams- Shades This was pretty decent. Not a lot of substance, but some great atmosphere. Big change at the end, which I think adds a lot to the track.
Marty Friedman- Sociopaths (feat. David Davidson) Everything I've heard of Friedman's solo work prior to this was disappointing. This was really different from what I expected, but I still didn't really like it that much. Lots of good turns, but some bad ones as well.
Dawn Of Destiny- Rising Angel Loved this other than the harsh vocals which felt forced. Great song nonetheless.
I will probably check out the rest later, as I want to hear that Skid Row track.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:51 PM
That Guy

Quote:
I will probably check out the rest later, as I want to hear that Skid Row track.
I love that you are actually checking out the show. It feels likes it is giving my showsome more legitimacy. Good or bad, I love feedback.

This week is a bit more of an experiment as my girlfriend and I have been having big discussions and actually a couple "business meetings" about what to do to make the show bigger and better. One suggestion that she made was about putting songs in a random order, or at least putting a couple songs that sound cool together, more than trying to do the stream of consciousness/roller coaster playlist that I've been doing since pretty much the start of my career. She does raise a good point about how not everyone can take 2 hours out of their day to listen to a show when it is on FM or streaming on the radio stations it airs on (Obviously with Podomatic and Spreaker, you can skip what you don't like) so I may be turning people off at first if they don't like Hard Rock/Power Metal/Prog Metal like I usually do at the beginning of the show, and the start of hour two is usually Death Metal, Black Metal, Doom Metal, etc. So it's good to mix it up the playlist to show off everything at different times and possibly keep people more interested.

Also the idea of splitting up the interviews if they go longer than a certain length. The Fallujah interview was 13 minutes so I tried finding a good point that felt natural to split the interview. I am normally the kind of guy who wants to hear an interview all the way through in one sitting, but I'm realizing that others find it a bit tedious to listen to if they aren't into the band, or if the interview is too long.

*Again, another reason why I love good and bad feedback. It tells me what is good and what can be improved*

There's other ideas that we have that I will be trying down the road, but I wanna do it one step at a time.

I think you may dig the new Skid Row, as someone not big into the Bach-less era of Skid Row, i dig the song a lot. I also mention in the show that I was one of the few hundred people who got to see this song live for the first time. it was right before the played the Rock USA show (or whatever that Oshkosh, WI fest is called) and the show I went to (in a town of 1,051 mind you) as a test audience. It sounded really good live and on record.