Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

The Iron Maidens -- Golden, CO -- October 25th, 2014
Raven -- Fullerton, CA -- October 23rd, 2014
King Diamond -- Denver, CO -- October 24th, 2014
Pallbearer -- Toronto, Ontario -- October 24th, 2014
Judas Priest -- Evansville, IN -- October 22nd, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Misinformation and Propaganda

Old 06-05-2012, 11:29 AM
Happy birthday, darling. We love you very very very very very very much

Looks like Marduk's guitarist owns pieces of Dead's skull and brain

Don't mean to go all Blabbermouth, but thought this was pretty fucking interesting. As a prologue to the article itself, a little quote from Wikipedia:

Quote:
On 8 April 1991, Mayhem vocalist Per Yngve 'Dead' Ohlin committed suicide while alone in a house shared by the band.[25][26] While fellow musicians often described Dead as odd and introverted off-stage, his on-stage persona was very different. He went to great lengths to make himself look like a corpse and would cut his arms while singing.[7][27]
He was found with slit wrists and a shotgun wound to the head, by Mayhem guitarist Øystein 'Euronymous' Aarseth. Dead’s suicide note apologized for firing the weapon indoors and ended: "Excuse all the blood".[26] Before calling the police, Euronymous allegedly went to a nearby shop and bought a disposable camera with which he photographed the body, after re-arranging some items.[28] One of these photographs was later used as the cover of a bootleg live album called Dawn of the Black Hearts.[29]
In time, rumors spread that Euronymous had made a stew with bits of Dead’s brain and had made necklaces with bits of his skull.[10][25] The band later denied the former rumor, but confirmed that the latter was true.[27] Moreover, Euronymous claimed to have given these necklaces to musicians he deemed worthy.
With that said, here's the article from Loudwire:

Quote:
One of black metal’s most famous legends revolves around the 1991 suicide of Mayhem vocalist Per ‘Dead’ Ohlin. For over 20 years, rumors have circulated worldwide about Mayhem guitarist Euronymous sending pieces of Dead’s skull to other black metal musicians as a sign of deep respect towards their work and dedication to the genre. During our recent interview with Marduk’s Morgan ‘Evil’ Steinmeyer Håkansson, the guitarist not only confirmed that he does indeed possess a piece of Dead’s skull, but also lead fragments from the bullet which killed Dead and a piece of his brain matter.

The world of black metal is a realm where many modern urban legends have been told. Passed on through word of mouth, there are many rumors from the Swedish and Norwegian black metal scenes during the early 1990s, mostly revolving around acts of violence, church burnings and even cannibalism. However, the truth of what happened with Dead’s skull fragments may be the most sought after answer in the long and infamous history of black metal.

We were able to ask Morgan of Marduk about the rumors face to face, and the answer he offered left us delightfully yet horrifically speechless. “Yeah, sure,” Morgan confirmed. “I got it way back, right after he died. Back in those days they [Mayhem] were living in a house and didn’t have the best financial aspects, so they didn’t even have a telephone. So I remember I was celebrating New Year’s in 1991 with Dead back home in Sweden. Then he got back, he wrote one letter [to me], then someone told me he’s killed himself.”

Morgan continued, “So I wrote a letter [to Mayhem] and then I got the reply back from the guitar player [Euronymous] — “Well he just shot himself and here’s a piece of his skull.” It was a shotgun, you know? So [he also sent me] two pieces of the lead and a piece of the wet brain. I’ve still got it. I keep it well protected.”

We asked Morgan who else Euronymous had sent tokens from Dead’s suicide to. “He sent it to all these former comrades of Dead,” he said with an innocent smile, making it clear that he would not reveal any other names. “A few of them. There were not that many people … maybe five.”

Stay tuned for our full interview with Marduk’s Morgan ‘Evil’ Steinmeyer Håkansson, as well as our show review from their New York City tour date.
Fucking crazy. I wonder where he keeps the brain matter. His freezer?
3/15 Gogol Bordello
Old 06-05-2012, 11:42 AM
Some People Call Me The White Devil

That shit is crazy. I wonder if he shows it to friends.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:45 AM
Altars of Radness

I never heard about the brain part, but the skull fragments rumor was proven true before. Here is a photo of one of the pieces owned by Roberto Mammarella of Monumentum and owner of Avantgarde Music. It has been confirmed by other people in the underground that it is real.

Last edited by treghet; 06-05-2012 at 12:06 PM.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:12 PM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Dead probably thinks they're assholes.

29/10 Saint Vitus
10/11 Trouble
13/11 Judas Priest
Old 06-05-2012, 12:54 PM
Kvlt,Grim,Frostbitten,and Grindage

This is.....huh....wow
11/02-Forward/Condition?
Old 06-05-2012, 12:56 PM
Altars of Radness

Quote:
Originally Posted by elturtleboy View Post
This is.....huh....wow
+1
Old 06-05-2012, 12:56 PM
Happy birthday, darling. We love you very very very very very very much

Quote:
Originally Posted by elturtleboy View Post
This is.....huh....wow
I said that by accident during a presentation on the Arab-Israeli conflict in history class when I forgot what my next point was, and some dude in the back who I hadn't talked to much that year started laughing his ass off. Turned out that he was a huge black metal fan!
3/15 Gogol Bordello
Old 06-05-2012, 07:29 PM
THIS IS LHHC!

I actually did a speech on the Norwegian black metal scene last year. Watching people's faces when I was talking about Euronymous' murder and Dead's suicide was absolutely priceless.
11/14 Decapitated
11/15 Eyehategod ?
11/21 Foxy Shazam ?
12/6 Helstar
Old 06-05-2012, 07:35 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

...I mean, you guys do know that Hellhammer did send out that stuff back when Dead killed himself, right? Like...like, it's extremely well-documented.

I thought it was kinda one of those things everyone who was a fan of black metal knew.

@kalfite: I did the EXACT same thing in my public speaking class. I got my best grade on that speech because I knew the stuff about it inside and out, and the best part was the reaction of the people in the class. One was this girl about my age who lived on a farm a few miles away and was really sheltered. She was like gasping the entire time, then came up afterwards and told me it was really interesting and wanted to research it for herself!
11/01 - Carcass
11/02 - Four Year Strong
Old 06-05-2012, 07:57 PM
Face The Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
...I mean, you guys do know that Hellhammer did send out that stuff back when Dead killed himself, right? Like...like, it's extremely well-documented.

I thought it was kinda one of those things everyone who was a fan of black metal knew.

@kalfite: I did the EXACT same thing in my public speaking class. I got my best grade on that speech because I knew the stuff about it inside and out, and the best part was the reaction of the people in the class. One was this girl about my age who lived on a farm a few miles away and was really sheltered. She was like gasping the entire time, then came up afterwards and told me it was really interesting and wanted to research it for herself!
This Always cool to hear it though!