Helmet -- West Hollywood, CA -- July 11th, 2014
Mastodon -- Nordfjordied, Norway -- July 18th, 2014
Queens of the Stone Age -- Philadelphia, PA -- July 20th, 2014
Queensryche -- Waukesha, WI -- July 19th, 2014
Killswitch Engage -- Providence, RI -- July 19th, 2014

Old 05-09-2012, 01:39 PM
Bringer of Darkness

Aldebaran - Embracing The Lightless Depths

Funeral Doom has always been a tricky genre for me as it has to be done a certain way. Or else the tedious drones and repetitions of the genre become to much. When it's done great though it's absolutely breathtaking. Case in point last year when Loss released their debut full length "Despond". The debuts by Ahab, Worship and the legendary now defunct Asunder also make my case. Or Mournful Congregation's sophomore classic "The Monad of Creation" as well. Each of these bands realized the most important part of the genre is use of atmosphere. Without a huge atmosphere most Funeral Doom falls flat. Thankfully that is not the case for Portland, Oregon's Aldebaran. Who with "Embracing The Lightless Depths" have released one the most atmospheric releases to be released this year, and the most stunning example of the genre in quite some time.
Relying on two behemoth sized tracks for most of the album's length. Both "Forever In The Dream of Death" and "Sentinel of a Sunless Abyss" shift from unrelenting doom to slow paced death passages. All aided by the constant mournful cries of the lead guitar and low beastly growls that along with the killer production job by the great Billy Anderson. Bring to life the most desolate and vile atmosphere an album has evoked in a long time. Seriously this album is like watching the earth slowly fall apart, wither and die right before you're eyes. Then the feeling sinks in that you're all alone with no one and nothing to help you. It's the apocalypse in its purest sonic form, and you can't help but be totally mesmerized by it. You want to keep reliving it because the music is that enthralling. The other three tracks are short quiet instrumental breathers, featuring sparse guitar chords and drum beats. Their main purpose to serve as the beginning, segue, and end of the album. Making the album work best as a whole.
A 66 minute journey to hell, that I will take again and again. When I want to be crushed by some oppressive monstrous doom. This will be the Funeral Doom album of the year I believe, only thing that might knock it out of that position is Evoken. If you love Funeral Doom or even Death/Doom in general this is a must buy for you.