Pearl Jam -- Denver, CO -- October 22nd, 2014
Arch Enemy and Kreator -- Baltimore, MD -- October 23rd, 2014
Mastodon -- Kansas City, MO -- October 22nd, 2014
Pearl Jam -- Milwaukee, WI -- October 20th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 05-16-2012, 10:34 PM
Meh.

Meshuggah -- Chicago, IL -- May 15th, 2012

The sets for each of the bands were the same as throughout the tour so I'm just gonna review it.

So around 5, I got out of class, striding back to my fraternity, literally dumped my shit off in the common room and left. I got to the train station, and despite delays, actually got to the venue around the time the show was supposed to start.

However, I walk in, and find out that Decapitated is literally just finishing their set. As soon as I made it into the GA area, they were walking off stage. I found JD there and asked what happened, and apparently they started the show about half an hour early for some reason, without fucking telling anyone. So I was slightly pissed that I had wasted a third of the ticket wasted by HoB, but whatever, I wasnít really there to see Decapitated anyways.

After about 20 minutes of set up time and people lightiní it up, Baroness finally came on. They started with A Horse Called Golgotha and I was immediately impressed. Everyone on stage was giving it their all, but unfortunately, people werenít reacting so well. I think people were under the impression that they would be heavier, and them playing mostly stuff from Blue Record didnít help. The most I saw people doing was slightly nodding their heads, which I was guilty of as well since I felt weird being the only one rocking out to these guys. Basically the only notable reactions were one asshole chucking a water bottle at John Baizley half way through the set (Iím pretty sure he got thrown out, I couldnít see very well) and people rushing in to the front during Isak, which was the last song. I honestly loved their set, all of my favorites and two new songs which both kicked ass. Also, the transitions between songs were so much like mini jam sessions that it kept a nice flow going.

After Baroness walked off, I chatted with JD for about 45 minutes while Meshuggah set up and they kept the same shitty disco song on repeat the entire time. Once the lights went off and the intro music started though, everyone knew chaos was about to break out. Sure enough, as soon as Demiurge started, shit went bananas. People moshing like no other, headbanging, let all emotions out and the place got hot as balls. I took my shirt off about two songs in because of the heat, and other people quickly followed. The only downside to people going insane at the start of the set was that almost no one had any thing left by the half way point. By then, people were stumbling all over the place, mouths were hanging open waiting for water, and it was a mess. Luckily, Meshuggah still supplied with their greatest hits and everyone was refilled with energy once songs like The Hurt That Finds You First and Bleed came on. Especially once the encore hit, everyone knew that this would be their last chance to do shit, so everyone and their mother was crowd surfing, moshing, and everything else. Meshuggah put on such a live show that even just watching them in the moments of extreme tiredness was awesome. I honestly canít wait for them to tour again.

After the show, I headed back to merch with the intention of buying a shirt (since I found $20 two hours before I got on the El!), but the debit machine wasnít working (shirts were $25) so I just bought Red Album instead. I hit up 7-11, chugged an Arnold Palmer and headed back home.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:07 PM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

Yeah, Llama Lom summed it up pretty well. Show was tits!

Decapitated were good, but they weren't amazing or anything, which was super disappointing since Nihility and Winds of Creation were two of the albums that got me into death metal. Not a lot of people were there anyway, since the show was supposed to start at 6 and they started playing before I even got there, which was around 5:45. Not a lot of pits either, but as soon as Spheres of Madness came on I jumped in and threw some people around until things got started.

Baroness were fucking awesome. Period. My only complaint is that I wish there were more heavy stuff thrown in. Ending with The Sweetest Curse -> Isak was fucking sweet. So good. They're stage presence was awesome, too: John is everything I expected and more. I also adored how they never really addressed the crowd until everything was over. The entire show was a single experience, a single song that never really ended, with feedback and jams happening in between each song to tie them together. The new shit sounded much better live than the first impression I got online. Hopefully they pull out some older stuff next time they come around promoting Yellow & Green. I love First and Second; anything from those would be incredible. There were some smaller pits going on here and there for 'em, but it wasn't until Isak that people started to open up and go crazy, me included. Also, they opened with the beginning feedback progression of Rays on Pinion, but went into A Horse Named Golgatha instead of the former song. I'd love to hear Rays->The Birthing->Isak live someday.

Meshuggah was... well, everything I had heard. Amazing. Just another unique level of heavy live, much more so than their recorded music can convey. Probably one of the few metal bands I would say need to be experienced live to truly appreciate. I was kind of back and forth on the new album, but as soon as Demiurge came on, I was changed. Demiurge was so, so, SO perfect as an opener. And the more the song went on, the heavier it became. And the heavier it became, the more the mosh opened up, until most of the floor was consumed. SO. MUCH. FUN. I lost my shit during Lethargica, some of the hardest moshing I've ever done. Unfortunately, after that song, I got a wave of light headedness and felt like I'd pass out, so I backed out, got some water, and watched the rest of the set from behind the pit. The only other nitpicks I had were to cut out I am Colossus (felt like a weird change of pace) and just end with Future Breed Machine. I think everyone gave their all for Breed Machine, then there wasn't a ton left over for Dancers.

Anyway, wish I could have had enough energy to mosh to Rational Gaze, Bleed, and Breed Machine... oh well. Someday! Oh, and I was about an inch away from getting in a fight with some fuckbag, but I won't go into that. Probably the most pissed off I've ever got at a show, but I wasn't gonna let it ruin Meshuggah/get me kicked out!
Old 05-16-2012, 11:11 PM
Smoke Satan, Worship Crack

God damn, did Meshuggah go on at 830 or some really early time? That's so weird the band playing two before a headliner would go on before 545pm. Most shows I go to, the opener doesn't go on til after 9pm haha
Old 05-17-2012, 07:38 AM
WELCOME TO THE WEST COAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher View Post
God damn, did Meshuggah go on at 830 or some really early time? That's so weird the band playing two before a headliner would go on before 545pm. Most shows I go to, the opener doesn't go on til after 9pm haha
House of Blues has a curfew of 9:30, so they start the show really early. It sucks.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:24 AM
Remember - today is the first day of the end of your life

I'm seeing this next sunday, can't wait!

http://www.last.fm/user/voidflame
Old 05-17-2012, 08:53 AM
Smoke Satan, Worship Crack

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageMetal468 View Post
House of Blues has a curfew of 9:30, so they start the show really early. It sucks.
That's really weird. The HOB in Hollywood doesn't even open its doors until 930 for Steel Panther shows!
Old 05-17-2012, 11:08 AM
Some People Call Me The White Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd091 View Post
Yeah, Llama Lom summed it up pretty well. Show was tits!

Decapitated were good, but they weren't amazing or anything, which was super disappointing since Nihility and Winds of Creation were two of the albums that got me into death metal. Not a lot of people were there anyway, since the show was supposed to start at 6 and they started playing before I even got there, which was around 5:45. Not a lot of pits either, but as soon as Spheres of Madness came on I jumped in and threw some people around until things got started.

Baroness were fucking awesome. Period. My only complaint is that I wish there were more heavy stuff thrown in. Ending with The Sweetest Curse -> Isak was fucking sweet. So good. They're stage presence was awesome, too: John is everything I expected and more. I also adored how they never really addressed the crowd until everything was over. The entire show was a single experience, a single song that never really ended, with feedback and jams happening in between each song to tie them together. The new shit sounded much better live than the first impression I got online. Hopefully they pull out some older stuff next time they come around promoting Yellow & Green. I love First and Second; anything from those would be incredible. There were some smaller pits going on here and there for 'em, but it wasn't until Isak that people started to open up and go crazy, me included. Also, they opened with the beginning feedback progression of Rays on Pinion, but went into A Horse Named Golgatha instead of the former song. I'd love to hear Rays->The Birthing->Isak live someday.

Meshuggah was... well, everything I had heard. Amazing. Just another unique level of heavy live, much more so than their recorded music can convey. Probably one of the few metal bands I would say need to be experienced live to truly appreciate. I was kind of back and forth on the new album, but as soon as Demiurge came on, I was changed. Demiurge was so, so, SO perfect as an opener. And the more the song went on, the heavier it became. And the heavier it became, the more the mosh opened up, until most of the floor was consumed. SO. MUCH. FUN. I lost my shit during Lethargica, some of the hardest moshing I've ever done. Unfortunately, after that song, I got a wave of light headedness and felt like I'd pass out, so I backed out, got some water, and watched the rest of the set from behind the pit. The only other nitpicks I had were to cut out I am Colossus (felt like a weird change of pace) and just end with Future Breed Machine. I think everyone gave their all for Breed Machine, then there wasn't a ton left over for Dancers.

Anyway, wish I could have had enough energy to mosh to Rational Gaze, Bleed, and Breed Machine... oh well. Someday! Oh, and I was about an inch away from getting in a fight with some fuckbag, but I won't go into that. Probably the most pissed off I've ever got at a show, but I wasn't gonna let it ruin Meshuggah/get me kicked out!
You should of fought. Two good hooks and by the time anyone knows what happened the fights over and then you walk away.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:11 AM
Some People Call Me The White Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher View Post
That's really weird. The HOB in Hollywood doesn't even open its doors until 930 for Steel Panther shows!
HOB Chicago only has the curfew for All Ages shows. 17+ can start/end whenever they want.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:18 AM
I dreamt of the sun's demise, awoke to a bleak morning.

I wish I could have gone to this show but I have a lack of funds.
11/28 - Slipknot/Korn
12/03 - In Flames/Opeth
12/14 - The Birthday Massacre
Old 05-17-2012, 05:05 PM
I've seen some things, man. And some stuff. I wouldn't recommend it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageMetal468 View Post
Yeesh. And I thought Boston sucked because of its 11:00 curfew.

Tags
baroness, decapitated, meshuggah