Musical Box -- Atlanta, GA -- May 6th, 2012

Venue: Variety Playhouse
Source: Me

Setlist:
The complete Lamb Lies Down on Broadway album
--
The Musical Box
Watcher of the Skies

I know this probably isn't metal, but I also know there are a few Gabriel-era Genesis fans around here so I will post a review of this anyway. The Musical Box is not just your ordinary tribute band, but they set out to re-create as closely as possible the exact performances of early '70s Genesis tours, with the same instruments (even the Mellotron sounds like it was here), guitar tones, setlists, in-between song stories, costumes, lighting, theatrics, etc. that made these shows legendary back in the day. Tonight's show was to duplicate The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway tour, Gabriel's last with Genesis and their most ambitious in terms of costumes, slide show backdrops, etc. despite its bizarre and somewhat inexplicable story. The original Lamb tour was never filmed, so the group got Genesis' help to reconstruct it as best they could and they got all the original backdrop slides as well.
I was shocked to arrive at the venue and see a lot of people, the place was pretty well packed as I figured this would be a cult event as The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway was not a big success for Genesis even in its original form. The crowd was very appreciative and energetic all night long, but not obnoxiously so. The show didn't start off well as it started 20 minutes late and with a couple of false starts but then things got going. I wasn't crazy about the general admission tickets to a theater, which I gather is standard with this venue, but things worked out well and I was able to get a good seat and talk with other fans before the show.
The guy who impersonates Gabriel is absolutely amazing, he has his singing and stage presence down pat. He struggled a little bit with the in between song stories but the singing/costumes/mannerisms is where it counts and he was first rate here. The Steve Hackett guitar guy was good as well but I don't think the keyboardist was quite up to par, but certainly not terrible.
But most of the time it all came together and allowed you to think you were in a time machine and seeing the real thing, which is what something like this is all about. I think the group was more comfortable doing the encore songs than the Lamb material and I roared along with the crowd at the final two songs, which were Genesis staples for many years.
To sum up, if you like this stuff, go if you have the chance, this tour is being retired after a couple of more dates in NYC and Montreal over the next couple of weeks.
4-22 Nightwish
Old 05-08-2012, 12:49 PM
Pursue happiness with diligence

Hey! We only do 80's Joel!
Old 05-08-2012, 01:22 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinkwine732 View Post
Well played.

This sounds like a cool event, I wish I had known about it. I'm not a huge Genesis fan, but Broadway is classic.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:36 PM
That Guy

Quote:
But I wanna hear Uptown Girl!

But on a serious note, I'd love to see this show.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:16 PM
N00B

Quote:
PLAY SOMETHING FROM THE STRANGER!!!!

anyway, holy fuck the entire Lamb Lies Down On Broadway album??? even if its by a Tribute band. I would Love to see "In The Cage" live. This tribute band MUST be half decent if they're tackeling that album.

Tags
genesis, musical box, peter gabriel