Rainbow Bar & Grill 42nd Anniversary -- West Hollywood, CA -- April 13th, 2014

Old 05-04-2012, 05:28 PM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Primus -- Toronto, Ontario -- November 7th, 1999

Primus
Support: Incubus, Buckethead
Date: November 7th, 1999
Venue: the Warehouse in Toronto, Ontario

Buckethead came out first and it was one of the strangest performances Ive ever seen. We all know Buckethead and what hes all about but what was even stranger was that during some vocal samples he grabbed this demented looking puppet and had it talk into the microphone as if it was speaking the samples. Aside from that the whole performance was just him lurching around on the stage shredding to a tape-recorded backtrack with the odd nunchuck break. He has huge fucking hands. Fucking weird shit but really appropriate as an opener for Primus. Id have loved to see him in a small club as opposed to a huge venue like the Warehouse.

Incubus were still cool at this point, having just released Make Yourself. I was a little disappointed that they played nothing off their Enjoy Incubus EP, but theyd chanced their style enough at this point that songs off that wouldnt work with the newer stuff. Pardon Me was awesome and the Warmth was really trippy since wed just smoked a bunch of hash before their set. Every time I saw Primus the openers (Limp Bizkit, Powerman 5000, Finger Eleven, Blink-182 and these guys) ended up getting WAY bigger than they ever were within a few years. So if you want you band to get huge, open for Primus!

Incubus
1. Redefine 

2. Favorite Things 

3. Privilege 

4. Make Yourself 

5. A Certain Shade of Green 

6. Nowhere Fast 

7. The Warmth
8. New Skin 

9. Pardon Me 

10. Vitamin

This was the third time Id seen Primus, and probably the worst with it being the tour for the Antipop and the crowd they were trying to pull in at the time. Id also seen them in October 1997 and March 1998 (both at the Warehouse) but the sets on setlist.fm are can't be right. In three times seeing them I've never seen Wynonnas Big Brown Beaver and both those sets list them, so both are wrong. Even though this is my least favorite Primus show this is the only set I could rip of setlist.fm that I know was correct.

One good thing about Primus live is that they have never been a band that ignored their past. They always embraced, it even in the middle of their career when lots of bands start trying to ignore their pasts. Thats how on a tour behind their most recent album they only played four songs. And thank god for that. I hated the Antipop album pretty much from the second I heard it. Im still not sure what the problem was but I know Im not alone. I was a little disappointed at this show that they didnt play anything from Tales From the Punchbowl and only one from the Brown Album (an album that Im not sure why people hate to this day). But it was a solid set. Even though Ive stated twice now how I hated the Antipop, Electric Uncle Sam was actually good live. Buckethead lurched back on stage during that song and I know he was onstage for another one earlier but I cant for the life of me remember which.

Primus
1. To Defy the Laws of Tradition 

2. Sgt. Baker
3. The Antipop 

4. Duchess and the Proverbial Mind Spread 

5. Those Damned Blue-Collar Tweekers 

6. My Name Is Mud 

7. Jerry Was A Race Car Driver 

8. The Final Voyage of the Liquid Sky 

9. Groundhog's Day 

10. Lacquer Head 

11. Harold of the Rocks 

encore
12. Electric Uncle Sam 

13. Pudding Time
07/04 - Agalloch
08/23 - Alice in Chains
12/06 - the Music of Final Fantasy
Old 05-05-2012, 06:28 AM

Cool setlists from both bands. Primus rarely play Antipop songs these days, I'd love to hear some live.

Tags
buckethead, incubus, primus