Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Pig Destroyer -- Philadelphia, PA -- December 20th, 2014
Battlecross -- Westland, MI -- December 20th, 2014
Sadistic Intent -- Downey, CA -- December 21st, 2013
Thy Art Is Murder -- Sydney, Australia -- December 19th, 2014
Intronaut -- West Hollywood, CA -- December 19th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Misinformation and Propaganda

Old 04-28-2012, 09:14 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by detuned View Post
first post is not the linked billboard article

and roadrunner isnt going anywhere
Paragraph six of the first post onwards is the Billboard article verbatim.

RR will end up being what they were always going to end up being once WMG bought them. A brand, not a label. This is just the next step towards that.

18/12 Kreator
7/2 Primordial
13/2 BLS
3/3 Sanctuary
Old 04-28-2012, 09:27 AM
Banned Asshole

hah, paragraph six on IS the billboard article, inexplicably omitting the first paragraph of it. some high quality message board posting right there.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:09 PM
Altars of Radness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
Yeah, that awful, awful roster which includes Dream Theater, Megadeth, KISS, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Opeth, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Rob Zombie... total crap
It really is when you consider 90% of the bands either suck or haven't been relevant for some time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ecords_artists
Old 04-28-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treghet View Post
It really is when you consider 90% of the bands either suck or haven't been relevant for some time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ecords_artists
Hardly. Especially given how out of date that list is.

Really, when stacked up against practically every other roster of labels of a similar size, it's really not that much worse. The whole "Roadrunner used to be awesome but now they suck because they have Nickelback" thing is getting as old and recycled as "Metallica sold out with the Black Album".

Roadrunner's problem has never been their roster. It's been pretending they're still indie when they've been bankrolled by majors for years (Sony before WMG), and promoting a culture of vacuous teen fans who know nothing and listen to who they're told to.

18/12 Kreator
7/2 Primordial
13/2 BLS
3/3 Sanctuary
Old 04-28-2012, 06:08 PM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

Quote:

Roadrunner's problem has never been their roster. It's been pretending they're still indie when they've been bankrolled by majors for years (Sony before WMG), and promoting a culture of vacuous teen fans who know nothing and listen to who they're told to.
This. Swore by Roadrunner in my teens, but since really got sick about how 'metal' and 'true' they labelled themselves as, when they were CLEARLY a major label.

Their roster includes Slipknot, Megadeth, Lamb of God, Black Label Society and Nickelback. In other words, bands who sell to the mainstream metal scene. Pretty bummed to hear this, but those offices will go on to be re-used by WMG I'd imagine, those guys have plans to use that space.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:10 PM
with his arms outstretched

Quote:
Roadrunner was a great label years ago, releasing now classic albums by King Diamond, Obituary, Sepultura, Pestilence, and many more. But I can't say I really care about this, as their current roster is pathetic. I do feel bad for the people who lost their jobs though.
That's pretty much how I feel.

12/27 -- Unearth/Protest the Hero
03/07 -- Video Games Live
07/06 -- U2
Old 04-28-2012, 06:50 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Yeah, that awful, awful roster which includes Dream Theater, Megadeth, KISS, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Opeth, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Rob Zombie... total crap

Nevertheless, I've felt Roadrunner have been a detriment to metal music for some time now, and I'm not sad to see them go at all.

And on a slightly unrelated point, what an appallingly written article. Is that seriously all it takes to be a writer at Billboard?
Billboard writers are only above dweebies and below retards on the intellect food chain.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:54 PM
Altars of Radness

Quote:
Hardly. Especially given how out of date that list is.

Really, when stacked up against practically every other roster of labels of a similar size, it's really not that much worse. The whole "Roadrunner used to be awesome but now they suck because they have Nickelback" thing is getting as old and recycled as "Metallica sold out with the Black Album".
Then you must have low standards. I'm not sure where you're getting that the list is out of date, I looked on the RoadRunner sites and it appears to be pretty accurate. And saying that Roadrunner isn't much worse than other labels their size doesn't really help your argument.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Then you must have low standards. I'm not sure where you're getting that the list is out of date, I looked on the RoadRunner sites and it appears to be pretty accurate. And saying that Roadrunner isn't much worse than other labels their size doesn't really help your argument.
It helps mine far more than it helps yours. All estimations of quality of anything only have relevance when there's something comparable, otherwise good and bad don't mean anything. And compared to other comparable labels, RR's roster isn't that bad, and never has been. People just love hating on their flagship bands and laying the blame on those bands for the decline of the label. Also... I'm sure quite a few people had a little chuckle at someone suggesting I have low standards when it comes to music Kudos at least for the comedy.

Anyway, on the list out of date thing, Grand Magus, Pain, Gojira, Daath, Throwdown, Heaven & Hell (for obvious reasons), Dragonforce are all not with them anymore. That's just the ones I know off the top of my head and not including the ones who aren't actually signed to them and just license their stuff to make use of their distribution network (like BLS), or the ones I'm don't recall ever being signed to them (Alter Bridge). I'm sure if I researched the ones I don't follow I'd find more. Pretty sure I heard Megadeth are going to leave as well.

As for the quality of what's left, with a quick scan I counted around 30 bands I'd take from that list over most of what's on most other metal labels' rosters. Including several that are noted board favourites here.

I do find it amusing that people are only too happy to say "yeah, they suck, they don't have any good bands, fuck Nickelback, aaargh!! But my favourite band is with them."

As I said, I think Roadrunner have been a problem for a long time. But the problem isn't, and never has been, their roster. It was always more of an attitudinal thing with them, and the influence they exerted doing it.

18/12 Kreator
7/2 Primordial
13/2 BLS
3/3 Sanctuary

Last edited by ravenheart; 04-29-2012 at 04:30 AM.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:31 AM
Altars of Radness

Quote:
It helps mine far more than it helps yours. All estimations of quality of anything only have relevance when there's something comparable, otherwise good and bad don't mean anything.
Your argument is saying that Roadrunner isn't that bad because other labels of their stature are bad too. You can compare horse shit to cow shit and one might smell worse than the other, but they're both still shit.

Quote:
And compared to other comparable labels, RR's roster isn't that bad, and never has been. People just love hating on their flagship bands and laying the blame on those bands for the decline of the label.
You first said Roadrunner wasn't that much worse, now you're saying they aren't as bad? I'm not hating any specific band and I'm not blaming any of them for the decline of the label, so I don't know why you're bringing that up. It was somebody else who mentioned Nickelback and the other bands, not me.

Quote:
Also... I'm sure quite a few people had a little chuckle at someone suggesting I have low standards when it comes to music Kudos at least for the comedy.
I didn't say for music, I meant for what constitutes a good roster. You mentioned some of the bands you enjoy on their roster, however those bands make up only a small portion of it. If having a few great bands and a plethora of weaker ones makes a good roster, then yes, those are low standards.

Quote:
Anyway, on the list out of date thing, Grand Magus, Pain, Gojira, Daath, Throwdown, Heaven & Hell (for obvious reasons), Dragonforce are all not with them anymore. That's just the ones I know off the top of my head and not including the ones who aren't actually signed to them and just license their stuff to make use of their distribution network (like BLS), or the ones I'm don't recall ever being signed to them (Alter Bridge). I'm sure if I researched the ones I don't follow I'd find more. Pretty sure I heard Megadeth are going to leave as well.
That actually eliminates a lot of the stronger bands. I thought Gojira's new album was coming out on Roadrunner though?

Quote:
As for the quality of what's left, with a quick scan I counted around 30 bands I'd take from that list over most of what's on most other metal labels' rosters. Including several that are noted board favourites here.
And we'll have to disagree on this. Yes, there are some board favorites, like Mastodon and Opeth, but there are many other metal labels I prefer.

Quote:
I do find it amusing that people are only too happy to say "yeah, they suck, they don't have any good bands, fuck Nickelback, aaargh!! But my favourite band is with them."
I assume this is just a generalization, since I never mentioned Nickelback or any favorite bands.

Quote:
As I said, I think Roadrunner have been a problem for a long time. But the problem isn't, and never has been, their roster. It was always more of an attitudinal thing with them, and the influence they exerted doing it.
I agree the way they market their bands is a problem, but to me the roster is as well. For the most part they're not thinking forward, they're just signing bands they know will sell albums. For example, of course I love Megadeth, but there's no denying they are well past their prime. I enjoyed a couple songs on Endgame, but overall I felt it was an extremely mediocre album, and thus not relevant to me. I feel the same way about recent Dream Theater. If they signed more bands like Gojira and Mastodon I think their roster would be good. Both of them are at the top of their game creativity wise and they are accessible to mainstream metal fans.

Last edited by treghet; 04-29-2012 at 07:27 AM.