Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Electric Light Orchestra -- London, England -- September 14th, 2014
Skeletonwitch -- West Springfield, VA -- September 12th, 2014
KISS -- Lake Oswego, OR -- September 14th, 2014
Richie Kotzen -- London, England -- September 16th, 2014
King Crimson -- Boston, MA -- September 15th, 2014

Old 07-27-2014, 09:19 PM
When your grabbing ass with your friends...

Is Spike not renewing TNA in October even something that qualifies as news?
Old 07-27-2014, 11:31 PM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300%_Density View Post
Seriously?! I'd say it is. That could be the final nail in the coffin.

The saddest part of that news: my reaction isn't "poor TNA", "what are all those wrestlers going to do?", "this could be the end of something special", "this is bad for the business as a whole". My reaction is more on par with:

11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend
12/06 -DistantWorlds:theMusicofFinalFantasy

Last edited by adamclark52; 07-28-2014 at 12:04 AM.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:33 AM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
Yes, it does. One of the main reasons WCW and ECW folded was because they couldn't secure new TV deals before their money ran out. TNA loses the TV revenue which is huge and if they don't get a new deal, they have no way to distribute the product and they will go under.

No matter what fans feelings are on TNA, this is bad for the wrestling industry as a whole. The more companies there are, the more opportunities the performers have to get a job and showcase what they can do. Most of the talent on the TNA roster is established enough that when it goes under they will do well on the indy scene and in Japan. Still, they won't have that national TV exposure every week which is a huge loss.

There's no doubt in my mind this is the end for them. Spike TV is just about as low as you can get as a cable TV channel. If they don't want TNA then who the hell else is gonna pick them up? They only draw about 1.5 million viewers a week. Unless a station is really hurting for people to watch them, why take a chance on TNA who has no turned a profit in who knows how long? Since they are the most watched show on Spike, I thought a deal would actually be reached, so this surprises me. I guess it doesn't financially make sense for them to keep TNA around anymore. Which is pretty sad considering Spike isn't that big of a TV channel.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:19 AM
When your grabbing ass with your friends...

I get that tv deals were what killed off WCW & ECW. But in those situations they didn't have a 2 month warning did they? Weren't those way more sudden announcements? They have time to shop. I still bet that they get on somewhere. If this was the last week of September I'd say they are done. But they still have a couple months and a few days. But yes competition is still needed. Wonder if Vince would come out on Raw and gloat if they don't get a tv deal? That'd be so Vince.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:58 AM

Quote:
I get that tv deals were what killed off WCW & ECW. But in those situations they didn't have a 2 month warning did they? Weren't those way more sudden announcements? They have time to shop. I still bet that they get on somewhere. If this was the last week of September I'd say they are done. But they still have a couple months and a few days. But yes competition is still needed. Wonder if Vince would come out on Raw and gloat if they don't get a tv deal? That'd be so Vince.
I remember the WCW thing being drawn out for a bit longer. It was a whole drama from the summer before when word came out that Time-Warner was looking to sell. I don't even remember if the TV thing was the end of it. It was bigger, the ownership.

And I strongly doubt Vince or the WWE will even ever mention it aside from a smal qwip at someone who used to wrestle there. If anything, if I was the WWE, I'd delay the Sting DVD set a few months so they could buy the TNA library and include some of it.

Actually I wouldn't. I'd release whatever they were going to release and sell a billion copies then buy the TNA library. Then I'd release a second Sting set with TNA matches and sell even more DVDs. And buying the library would be cheap because the people running TNA seem so stupid they'd probably give it away.
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend
Old 07-28-2014, 08:21 AM

I'm also finding it pretty funny that Vince Russo being revealed to be still "secretly" working for TNA was a big rumored reason for Spike not wanting to renew their contract.

Seriously though, why would Spike NOT want them?
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend
Old 07-28-2014, 08:30 AM
I got jumped by 2 thugs... they told me my battery was dead.

TNA is a company I REALLY REALLY REALLY want to like, but they just do so many things the wrong way. I've turned on TNA a few times over the last month, I'll enjoy it, I'll be into it, I'll really like seeing different faces, then It'll just hit a brick wall and fall flat on its face and get boring. I feel thy try too hard to make their product look professionally shot and high def, which in the end makes it look insanely cheesy and fake.

- Funeral Age
facebook.com/funeralageofficial
funeralage.bandcamp.com
Old 07-28-2014, 08:40 AM
Concert Veteran

I can't remember how much notice WCW and ECW had before they closed. I know I was a lot more surprised that ECW went under then I was that WCW did. The rumors of WCW going out of business were pretty strong for a little while before it happened. ECW just seemed to go under very quickly though. One week they were on TV as usual and then the next they weren't. They still ran some shows for a month or so until they officially announced they were done.

When WCW and ECW went under, wrestling was still pretty popular and they couldn't even get new TV deals. Wrestling isn't a hot product anymore so TNA's chances of finding a new deal aren't very strong. Plus, the company hasn't turned a profit in years and i'm sure are tens of millions of dollars in the hole by now. Unless some channel is really desperate to have anything at all on their programming schedule, no stations are gonna touch TNA knowing that the company doesn't make any money. There's no doubt in my mind that TNA is done now. Their revenue from TV is the only thing keeping them alive. They don't make money from anything else.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:46 AM
I got jumped by 2 thugs... they told me my battery was dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanitarium78 View Post
Unless some channel is really desperate to have anything at all on their programming schedule, no stations are gonna touch TNA knowing that the company doesn't make any money.
Not only that, but look at their track record... they've been hopping from station to station, network to network, channel to channel for years. Sure they've been on Spike for quite a while, but even before that they seemed to not have a stable home and would constantly be changing.

I remember back when TNA WAS good and entertaining and fresh and they still couldn't keep on a channel. I'm surprised they've been on Spike THIS long, especially considering how their product hasn't been GREAT for quite some time.

- Funeral Age
facebook.com/funeralageofficial
funeralage.bandcamp.com
Old 07-28-2014, 08:59 AM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by John The Drummer View Post
Not only that, but look at their track record... they've been hopping from station to station, network to network, channel to channel for years. Sure they've been on Spike for quite a while, but even before that they seemed to not have a stable home and would constantly be changing.

I remember back when TNA WAS good and entertaining and fresh and they still couldn't keep on a channel. I'm surprised they've been on Spike THIS long, especially considering how their product hasn't been GREAT for quite some time.
I'm not really sure what you're talking about when you say they jumped from network to network? They've been with Spike nine years now.

Last edited by Sanitarium78; 07-28-2014 at 09:04 AM.