Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

The Goddamn Gallows -- Long Beach, CA -- April 16th, 2014
Unearth -- Ottawa, Ontario -- April 15th, 2014
Black Sabbath -- Ottawa, Ontario -- April 13th, 2014
Nile -- Baltimore, MD -- April 15th, 2014
Within Temptation -- Newcastle, England -- April 14th, 2014

Old 02-06-2014, 02:32 PM
When your grabbing ass with your friends...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John The Drummer View Post
I was a bit disappointed with the Rise and Fall of WCW Documentary.

The stuff they covered was great, but they skipped SOOOOO much good stuff (contract/right issues possibly?). Definitely could have been a lot longer than 1 hour ~45 minutes.
I'd say because it's going to be WWE's version as opposed to how things might have really gone.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:39 PM
though the vocals can be a little to extreme for me some times

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300%_Density View Post
So the last 2 days on Netflix I watched HHH Thy Kingdom Come & WWE 50 which is celebrating the 50th anniversary of WWE. I'd suggest both highly. WWE 50 was more interesting as far as the early stuff. Obviously it was heavy on Attitude era stuff. I wished they did more early to mid 90s stuff. The attitude stuff is done to death really. But still really good. Tough to pack in 50 years in a short amount of time.

Love the HHH one. And it's a lengthy one too, 2 hours 7 mins. It went over everything. The stuff where him and Stephanie first got together was quite interesting IMO. Wished it went more in depth w/ his stuff vs Cactus in early 2000 more. It also discussed in detail his after wrestling activities in the office.

Highly suggest both.

This. The HHH one was really good.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:38 PM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Quote:
Originally Posted by John The Drummer View Post
I was a bit disappointed with the Rise and Fall of WCW Documentary.

The stuff they covered was great, but they skipped SOOOOO much good stuff (contract/right issues possibly?). Definitely could have been a lot longer than 1 hour ~45 minutes.
Anything the WWE ever puts out with regards to WCW will be how Vince sees it. It's been thirteen years and he still takes any chance he can to make them look bad and pump himself up more. I really don't think anyone (save himself, Triple H and Stephanie) even care anymore. Yes, you won...now fix Wrestlemania XXX.
07/04 - Agalloch
08/23 - Alice in Chains
12/06 - the Music of Final Fantasy
Old 02-07-2014, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
Anything the WWE ever puts out with regards to WCW will be how Vince sees it. It's been thirteen years and he still takes any chance he can to make them look bad and pump himself up more. I really don't think anyone (save himself, Triple H and Stephanie) even care anymore. Yes, you won...now fix Wrestlemania XXX.
I think its just trying to bury Ted Turner more. Yea he made Ted's "wrasslin" program go bankrupt but that's really the only thing he has on Turner. If you look at everything Turner has done for TV I really bet Vince is the only one who's still fixated on that. We all know Ted's done so much WCW is such a tiny sliver of Ted's career I doubt he cares.

If Vince can save WM XXX that will be one of his finest moments in his career having done so much w/ so little.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:32 PM
PAAAAAAANTURRRUUUHHHHHH!! !!!!

I'm watching the bonus matches now... wow.... I never thought older wrestling would be so amazing. Ric Flair vs Ricky Steamboat right now. I remember being in awe with the Jake The Snake matches and Mr. Perfect's as well, good shit!

- Funeral Age
facebook.com/funeralageofficial
funeralage.bandcamp.com
Old 02-07-2014, 07:37 PM

Quote:
I think its just trying to bury Ted Turner more. Yea he made Ted's "wrasslin" program go bankrupt but that's really the only thing he has on Turner. If you look at everything Turner has done for TV I really bet Vince is the only one who's still fixated on that. We all know Ted's done so much WCW is such a tiny sliver of Ted's career I doubt he cares.

If Vince can save WM XXX that will be one of his finest moments in his career having done so much w/ so little.
I agree, Ted doesn't care. But Vince still does. It's sad and if it makes anyone look bad, to me, it's Vince. Get over it, you won, stop rewriting and glossing over the past, you won, who cares!

Speaking of Ted, I remember a funny story from when WCW was sold. He (Ted) really doesn't have a lot of control over a lot of the things under his name any more. And he actually found out (who was it Time-Warner?) sold WCW a few weeks after the sale was complete. He was pretty upset because he still loved it.
07/04 - Agalloch
08/23 - Alice in Chains
Old 02-07-2014, 08:04 PM

Quote:
I agree, Ted doesn't care. But Vince still does. It's sad and if it makes anyone look bad, to me, it's Vince. Get over it, you won, stop rewriting and glossing over the past, you won, who cares!

Speaking of Ted, I remember a funny story from when WCW was sold. He (Ted) really doesn't have a lot of control over a lot of the things under his name any more. And he actually found out (who was it Time-Warner?) sold WCW a few weeks after the sale was complete. He was pretty upset because he still loved it.
I DVR'd a show about Turner months ago and I saw same thing, it's sad what happened after that merger. He was just like a forgotten guy after that went down. It's kinda sad really.

Out of all chairman/CEOs who bought out their competition, Vince seems like it happened yesterday. I don't recall seeing too many chairman of other companies who buy their competition and still fixate on it 15+ years after it happened. To them it's just business. Vince bought out a lot of those small territories in the 80s, he didn't get a big head about them, to him it was just business.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:41 PM

Quote:
I DVR'd a show about Turner months ago and I saw same thing, it's sad what happened after that merger. He was just like a forgotten guy after that went down. It's kinda sad really.

Out of all chairman/CEOs who bought out their competition, Vince seems like it happened yesterday. I don't recall seeing too many chairman of other companies who buy their competition and still fixate on it 15+ years after it happened. To them it's just business. Vince bought out a lot of those small territories in the 80s, he didn't get a big head about them, to him it was just business.
I think the thing that differentiates all those small territories from WCW/Time-Warner/Turner is that Turner did come damn close to putting Vince out of business. He made fun of them once they signed Hogan, Savage, Piper and all the "old" guys but don't think for a second he wouldn't have ridden their wave through the nineties if he could have. Hell, look at now. He's dependent on all these part-timers who are ten years past his prime. Don't think he wouldn't have done the same thing ten years ago with older stars.

So in the end he did beat them, essentially being David to their Goliath. But it just drives me wacko that he still has to keep trumpeting it today and make WCW look so bad every chance he gets. Because anyone who was around then doesn't care, and the younger fans don't even know it happened and don't care either. WCW was better than people remember. And it was way better than Vince will tell you. Like I said last month when I was watching the Goldberg DVD, I think I may like late-1990's WCW more than late-1990's WWF. It just had terrible backstage politics.

And wait, didn't the owner of the WWE's, son-in-laws best friend just come back after four years off the scene to win the Royal Rumble and get the main event at Wrestlemania against another one of the owners, son-in-laws buddies? And wasn't another one of the owners, son-in-laws best buddies one of the sole special entrants in the same Royal Rumble (although I do love Nash)? And isn't that same son-in-law probably going to get booked against (and squash) the hottest talent the WWE has had in fifteen years (D-Bry) at Wrestlemania? Let me keep going, aren't the same son-in-laws best buddies, who were out of the WWE (and haven't been relevant) for fifteen years, the tag team champions today? Where's X-Pac? Someone needs to win the pre-show Battle Royal at Wrestlemania.

[end anti-Triple H rant]
07/04 - Agalloch
08/23 - Alice in Chains
Old 02-07-2014, 09:35 PM

Quote:
So in the end he did beat them, essentially being David to their Goliath. But it just drives me wacko that he still has to keep trumpeting it today and make WCW look so bad every chance he gets. Because anyone who was around then doesn't care, and the younger fans don't even know it happened and don't care either. WCW was better than people remember. And it was way better than Vince will tell you. Like I said last month when I was watching the Goldberg DVD, I think I may like late-1990's WCW more than late-1990's WWF. It just had terrible backstage politics.
The politics were just awful for any business that was as big as WCW, let alone a wrestling company. If you prefer the late 90s WCW over WWF that's your opinion. I can tell you, for me personally, in watching both in order, it started out w/ I would find myself skipping through WWF a little more and WCW less, and then it got to be towards the end of 1997 and it is becoming more the inverse. I don't know how the hell Raw wasn't beating Nitro sooner in the ratings than they were. The Nitro main events were easy to figure out, there was a pool of about 12-15 wrestlers that would usually be in it and no one else. I watched one from March of 1998 that was DDP vs Sting in the start of the 2nd hour. Would that not have been a better main event than having Hogan/Nash vs Giant/Can't Remember? A weekly 3 hour show is such a drain and I don't know how I could constantly watch it years ago. The unopposed hour was usually involving crap like Lenny Lane vs Sickboy or something that deserved to be on WCW Saturday Night. Nitro was watchable when it was 2 hours. Maybe its revisionist history watching it 16 years after the fact knowing what I know now. 1998 WCW was tolerable but 1999 it just really got progressively worse. When WWF was kicking ass WCW was putting out subpar programming and spending money on Kiss Demon, Megadeth and the No Limit Soldiers.

It seemed like in this period the WWF's main events usually carried their PPV's/Raws and their midcard wasn't that strong. Where WCW's midcard w/ the Jericho's/Booker T/Benoit/Malenko/Guerrero & luchadore's were having the best matches and the main events were just awful. And how many Age In The Cage main events could they have done involving Hogan vs Savage/Flair/Piper/Other? Awful. They were good at different aspects. Both didn't really have all sides clicking at the same time.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:17 AM

Quote:
The politics were just awful for any business that was as big as WCW, let alone a wrestling company. If you prefer the late 90s WCW over WWF that's your opinion. I can tell you, for me personally, in watching both in order, it started out w/ I would find myself skipping through WWF a little more and WCW less, and then it got to be towards the end of 1997 and it is becoming more the inverse. I don't know how the hell Raw wasn't beating Nitro sooner in the ratings than they were. The Nitro main events were easy to figure out, there was a pool of about 12-15 wrestlers that would usually be in it and no one else. I watched one from March of 1998 that was DDP vs Sting in the start of the 2nd hour. Would that not have been a better main event than having Hogan/Nash vs Giant/Can't Remember? A weekly 3 hour show is such a drain and I don't know how I could constantly watch it years ago. The unopposed hour was usually involving crap like Lenny Lane vs Sickboy or something that deserved to be on WCW Saturday Night. Nitro was watchable when it was 2 hours. Maybe its revisionist history watching it 16 years after the fact knowing what I know now. 1998 WCW was tolerable but 1999 it just really got progressively worse. When WWF was kicking ass WCW was putting out subpar programming and spending money on Kiss Demon, Megadeth and the No Limit Soldiers.

It seemed like in this period the WWF's main events usually carried their PPV's/Raws and their midcard wasn't that strong. Where WCW's midcard w/ the Jericho's/Booker T/Benoit/Malenko/Guerrero & luchadore's were having the best matches and the main events were just awful. And how many Age In The Cage main events could they have done involving Hogan vs Savage/Flair/Piper/Other? Awful. They were good at different aspects. Both didn't really have all sides clicking at the same time.
That's what it was, I loved WCWs midcard and WWFs main events. Aside from Austin in 1998 the rest of WWF was meh to me. I just had more fun watching WCW, even the main events. But I was out of wrestling from 1993 to 1998, so WCWs main events weren't that stale to me. It was more nostalgic fun. But I can see why they get slack.
07/04 - Agalloch
08/23 - Alice in Chains