Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Death Angel -- San Francisco, CA -- December 27th, 2014
Protest the Hero -- Toronto, Ontario -- December 27th, 2014
Marduk -- Norrköping, Sweden -- December 19th-20th, 2014
Despised Icon -- Worcester, MA -- December 21st, 2014
Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014

Old 01-02-2014, 01:39 PM
When your grabbing ass with your friends...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maideneer View Post
$10-$12/month? Sorry, that's asking a little too much. Promotion the hell out of it at the start...hell sell me a lifetime pass for $500, that's what Sirius/XM did for a while.
I thought $10-12 was fairly reasonable. The fact that PPV's are $44.95 & $59.95 for HD this is a great deal if you buy them every month (or want to buy them every month). Lets assume its higher at $12 a month and you have to do 6 month commitment. $72 is the price for what 1 PPV and a quarter? I think that's a great deal.

I was shocked that they are so much now. Last one I even bought was $30 which really shows how long since I've bought a PPV.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:50 PM
with his arms outstretched

If they go the route that 300% Density posted I'd be fine with it. But if they go the route that I dread they will (with all the original programming) I want it to fail miserably. And I want it to fail miserably because I want the WWE to realize that they aren't a global entertainment giant, they're a wrestling promotion. They're damn good at being a wrestling promotion. But all these stupid fucking ventures that Vince gets in his head (XFL, Total Divas, WWE Films, that bodybuilding federation he did in the 1990's) are just so laughable. I don't know how he thinks they're good ideas. And if the network does go the route that I fear believe me it will be filled with shit original programming, staring d-list actors, written by writers right out of school and will all come off terrible.

I won't get it for a few reasons. The first is I just don't want to pay for it. The second is I know it'll be shit original programming spattered with some old, good stuff. And the last is I doubt it'll even be available in Canada.

12/27 -- Unearth/Protest the Hero
03/07 -- Video Games Live
07/06 -- U2
Old 01-02-2014, 01:53 PM
The infection has been removed, the soul of this machine has improved!

I know Netflix was introducing a new structure where it was $6.99/month for some people but that was for SD programming only. HD was more...let's see if WWE structures it that way too.

When you look at it the PPV way, it could be a good deal, but the details aren't finalized and something must be up. Why would they undercut their own PPV buy-rates? It doesn't make sense to destroy one revenue stream and make it up evenly or at a loss with another product offering. That doesn't equal growth so I'm wondering what's going to actually come out of it.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:54 PM
Some People Call Me The White Devil

$12 a month isn't bad. I know when they had the WWE channel a while back with all the on demand stuff you needed a subscription for they always had WCW and ECW with themes monthly like AWA.

Also I don't mind Total Divas because most of them are hot and usually wear very little clothes (Eva Marie)
Old 01-02-2014, 01:55 PM
The infection has been removed, the soul of this machine has improved!

Old 01-02-2014, 02:34 PM
When your grabbing ass with your friends...

I can see them undercutting their own PPV revenue a little bit because buying PPVs the old way is basically going to a big box store and still paying $17 for a CD. Its old, becoming antiquated, its gonna be on its way out. Everything is on demand or streaming now. Who really goes to your on demand guide and actually buy a PPV movie now instead of just going to Netflix or Redbox for a movie anymore?

It makes no sense, when wrestling was good and you couldn't find PPVs online (the pre torrent / YouTube days) the PPVs were only $30 which was still alot in the late 90s. Now as the quality as has gone dramatically down and you can find any PPV you want on YouTube or download the torrent they are now asking goddamn double the price for worse content. Who the hell would want to pay those prices when you can find other ways to do find it in other places?

By having the PPVs in its current state they are splitting the prices w/ cable/satellite providers. I don't imagine there's a huge buyrate for the 2nd rate, non big 5 (I'm being generous to King of the Ring if they still even do that) might as well put them on WWE Network and keep all profit for yourself and not have to share when I'm guessing the buy rates aren't late 90s/early 00s type of buy rates.

I'm playing the odds here, more than likely if you have cable/satellite TV there's a good chance that you probably have some sort of broadband/cable/DSL/Anything but Dialup type of internet. Wouldn't you rather figure in $10-12 into your monthly budget than $45-60 for a PPV?
Old 01-02-2014, 03:28 PM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maideneer View Post
When you look at it the PPV way, it could be a good deal, but the details aren't finalized and something must be up. Why would they undercut their own PPV buy-rates? It doesn't make sense to destroy one revenue stream and make it up evenly or at a loss with another product offering. That doesn't equal growth so I'm wondering what's going to actually come out of it.
Their PPV buy rates blow now. WrestleMania may crack 1 million buys, the Rumble and Summerslam might get 500,000 buys each that's it as far as making money goes with their PPV buys. Every other PPV during the year is lucky to get 150-200k in buys. They really aren't making that much with most of these shows now. If they can get a million people to sign up for the network to start, which isn't impossible since they're a world wide company, they can easily make up the PPV loss with that. They won't make it up right away but if the network is successful, they will in the long run.

Vince is a smart business man and he didn't get to the level of success he's at now by not taking chances. He is taking a huge chance with the network but if it pays off it will be one of the WWE's most financially successful things ever. This can only go one of two ways, either it becomes a big success or it flops worse than Curtis Axel's IC title reign. If it doesn't work out then they just go back to doing things like they do now.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:35 PM
Concert Veteran

We all know how huge the internet is now but I think it's a mistake to only make the network an online streaming thing. If they make it a regular TV channel you can get, they will get many more people to get it, I believe. Maybe it will head that way eventually if it's a success.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:47 PM
Rats off to ya

I'm surprised there's very little discussion of the Daniel Bryan heel turn.

I don't think it's gonna last very long. I wouldn't be surprised if it's just 2 weeks of "Say it aint so Daniel" and then there's some corny segment where he shows uncertainty and the Yes chants de-brainwash him or something.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:54 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodoftheKings View Post
I'm surprised there's very little discussion of the Daniel Bryan heel turn.

I don't think it's gonna last very long. I wouldn't be surprised if it's just 2 weeks of "Say it aint so Daniel" and then there's some corny segment where he shows uncertainty and the Yes chants de-brainwash him or something.

It was so well done. My opinion is that the Wyatts are the best thing going right now. Dbry played it off so well. I kinda hope he runs as a heel. He could pull it like he did in ROH with the crazy "I'm gonna kill you and take your eye" gimmick