Impaled -- Oakland, CA -- April 19th, 2014
Tankcrimes Brainsqueeze 2 -- Oakland, CA -- April 18th, 2014
Unearth -- Pontiac, MI -- April 17th, 2014
Wayne Static -- Birmingham, AL -- April 17th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 04-06-2012, 02:10 PM
Happy birthday, darling. We love you very very very very very very much

Sepultura -- Moscow, Russia -- April 6th, 2012

Fucking hell, is it really 2 AM already?

Well, today's afternoon got off to a bad start; my friend, with whom I was planning on going to the show (which would've been the first one we'd gone to together since last year) cancelled at the last minute, as he did for Anthrax, blaming it on petty little things. The next issue I had to deal with was that I arrived a little early, by which I mean I arrived two and a half hours early. The ticket I had bought a month back had 7 PM listed as the start to the show, but since Melissa (a local death metal band) had been added to the line-up recently, the start time was pushed back to 8 PM. Therefore, I ended up standing outside the venue with a few Russian friends of mine for those grueling two-and-a-half hours before doors opened. Fortunately, spring began today (bring on the HEAT!) so it was pretty good outside. Felt good to be able to be outside for more than 20 minutes and not feel like I'm climbing Mt. Everest or traversing the Arctic.

Soon after doors opened (there was lots of people there) Melissa began. Last time (the first time) I had seen them, they were opening up for My Dying Bride, a performance that did not strike me as good. Their material then came off as a poor attempt at playing Insomnium-like melodeath with a hint of death-doom, but they were decent tonight; they sounded like a poor rendition of Heartwork-era Carcass (who they've opened up for in the past, too), but that was fine with me. Melissa did get a few heads banging, so kudos for them for getting a reaction from the crowd. I usually feel as if local bands here never get enough support; people at shows here come off as if they find openers to be an hour-long piss break. To be fair, sometimes I feel that way too, but there's nothing wrong with showing a little pulse for a song or two.

Sepultura began soon thereafter, with a pretty sick intro. After playing through Dark Woods of Error, they began Refuse/Resist; a bit too early in the set for me, but it got things going. Highlights from the set for me would be Dead Embryonic Cells, Escape to the Void, Just One Fix, Territory, Inner Self, and Arise, each of which caused a maelstrom of chaos in the room. A relatively new venue with good sound quality and a comfortable atmosphere, KKZ Moskva fucks up in one area: for some strange reason, they put up a fence-like barrier in between the stage and the crowd. Since the fence is pretty weak and isn't meant to suppress a horde of marauding metalheads, what happens is that four to five guards end up standing in this ravine seperating the band from the people, a very difficult task once the band begins bringing out their old, insane material. I felt pretty bad for the guards at some points during the show, since it's pretty fucking uncomfortable spending an hour-and-a-half trying to push back a packed room of people. Anyhow, I'm not sure whether I've mentioned this before, but Sepultura are fucking great live; an energetic and vigorous quartet with a very good new drummer (who is only 19, by the way! Kid plays like a junior version of Paul Bostaph...), the modern line-up should be enough to please the likes of most Sepultura fans, considering they don't have a stick up their ass about the new releases or the absence of the Cavalera brothers. While I do agree that Sepultura's albums with Green at the helm have been boring, the modern material translates well live, his vocals a great substitution for Max; Kisser is arguably one of the best (definitely one of my favorite) live metal guitarists, too. After they finished their set, I swapped a setlist I caught for a Kisser pick; a friend of mine (to whom I gave Frank Bello's pick at last month's Anthrax show if you remember) also gave me a pick from Scott Ian, who had apparantly come out after I had left to hand out some picks to whoever had stuck around.

tl;dr: Shut up and go see Sepultura if you like the band enough to spend money on a ticket. Last but not least, their set:

Intro
Dark Wood of Error
Refuse/Resist
Kairos
Relentless
Dead Embryonic Cells
Convicted in Life
Dialog
Attitude
Choke
Mask
Septic Schizo / Escape to the Void
Sepulnation
Subtraction
Just One Fix (Ministry cover)
Territory
Inner Self
Arise
Encore:
Ratamahatta
Roots Bloody Roots
3/15 Gogol Bordello

Last edited by brutal_descent; 04-06-2012 at 02:19 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:26 PM
Remember - today is the first day of the end of your life

Awesome

Last time they played here they were great too, except the setlist wasn't as good as this one. They're coming back at the end of the month with Death Angel and Krisiun. I'm probably going to go.

http://www.last.fm/user/voidflame
Old 04-06-2012, 02:29 PM

They should've played more off of Schziopernia and less off of Kairos, but eh, can't have it all. Should be noted that this was my second Sepultura performance, by the way. Saw 'em at Graspop last year
3/15 Gogol Bordello
Old 04-06-2012, 03:17 PM
PAAAAAAANTURRRUUUHHHHHH!! !!!!

When I saw Sepultura last year they SLAYED. One of the best shows I've seen. The set was made of up of, what felt like, primarilly classics, and not much of the after-Roots era Sep. Definitely check them out.

I'd love to see them next week in Seattle, but my transmission is fucked and I cannot afford any more shows this month due to this

- Funeral Age
facebook.com/funeralageofficial
funeralage.bandcamp.com
Old 04-06-2012, 07:04 PM
Metal-Setlistcore

They need to drop everything off Roots
Old 04-06-2012, 09:35 PM
MAN IS NOT ALONE IN THIS WORLD AND MANKIND IS NOT COMPLETELY ABSURD

Great review. Glad the weather was great outside or else that would have been a burn to be out in the cold for that long. That's really awesome that they played "Subtraction", hopefully they add that to the setlist for the upcoming U.S show. Glad you had a great time and I'm looking forward to seeing them for the fourth time in this year. Sure it's not the original line up but it's whats left of them and this is as good as we're gonna get, especially with no reunion in the future NOR EVER, plus they put on a hell of shows, so I can't complain.

Kudos on a great show Chap
5/11 - Saint Vitus
Old 04-06-2012, 09:39 PM
How you gonna rip it like this, son?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomynous View Post
They need to drop everything off Roots
This. Not gonna lie, this set sucks. Only one song from Beneath the Remains?!

At least they're still sick live.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:40 PM
MAN IS NOT ALONE IN THIS WORLD AND MANKIND IS NOT COMPLETELY ABSURD

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageMetal468 View Post
This. Not gonna lie, this set sucks. Only one song from Beneath the Remains?!

At least they're still sick live.
I like "Attitude"

But I agree on BTR. Add "Mass Hypnosis" to the U.S date and I will be happy with whatever they play for the remainder of the set, just as long as I get to hear that beast of a song
5/11 - Saint Vitus
Old 04-07-2012, 01:09 AM

Oh yeah, definitely. BTR is my favorite Sep album, with Chaos AD and Arise close behind. Mass Hypnosis would've been the tits.
3/15 Gogol Bordello
Old 04-07-2012, 01:16 AM
Altars of Radness

I don't feel so bad about skipping the upcoming tour now. Beneath the Remains is my favorite as well, so only one song from it is pretty disappointing for me. And I'm surprised they didn't play Troops of Doom.

Tags
sepultura